SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Ghost

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2018
Hey, thanks for the info! I'm about to buy a 160+160w combo for brickless build, now I'm defenetely waiting!

So you almost answered my biggest question!
Looks like new PSU will be same size in two dimentions, except maybe longer. (???x52x40mm)

To sum up:
170mm + any height GPU - PSU in front
190+mm +112mm height GPU - PSU in bottom (longer GPU, because no room for PCI-e connector???)
And if you have "wrong" motherboard layout (like mine) you can put PSU in front, next to motherboard and use pretty much any GPU up to 215mm.
So will the 300w fit in the S4M or only 160 and the new 400w when ever it comes .Thought I've seen it fit aslong is it's the new S4M. If not guess I have to use a brick untill 400w drops. I seen 1060 be cool but I'd like to have a 1070 or better .

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Shipped my power unit back to Larry last night, and apparently he's going to send me a brand new one today, without even waiting to test mine. What an awesome guy! In case anyone is wondering what these things are capable of, he sent me a video of him testing one with an 8700k and a 1080 Ti.

Reactions: br3nd0

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Shipped my power unit back to Larry last night, and apparently he's going to send me a brand new one today, without even waiting to test mine. What an awesome guy! In case anyone is wondering what these things are capable of, he sent me a video of him testing one with an 8700k and a 1080 Ti.

Nice. Larry was extremely helpful when I reached out as well. He even shipped that same 1200w beast of an AC adapter to test my system, to eliminate possibility of power limitation with the Dell brick. I shipped the 1200w back to him last week.

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Nice. Larry was extremely helpful when I reached out as well. He even shipped that same 1200w beast of an AC adapter to test my system, to eliminate possibility of power limitation with the Dell brick. I shipped the 1200w back to him last week.

Lol yeah, he told me he shipped that thing out to someone recently, so I'm guessing it was you. That's pretty rad.

Epsilon748

Efficiency Noob
Jul 17, 2018

Whoa, now I sort of wish I held out for the 400w AC-DC and figured out how to jam that into my case to support an 8700K + 1080TI instead of 8700 + 1080. That extra horsepower for games would nearly match my full size ATX box.

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Whoa, now I sort of wish I held out for the 400w AC-DC and figured out how to jam that into my case to support an 8700K + 1080TI instead of 8700 + 1080. That extra horsepower for games would nearly match my full size ATX box.

I mean, the unit in the video is the DC-DC one. You just need a solid brick to support that build, and you'll be fine. If you want to go brick less, then yeah you'll have to wait for the AC-DC units to come out. Since I plan on water cooling my setup at some point, I won't have room in the top of the case for a PSU because of the fittings that will be coming off the GPU.

Epsilon748

Efficiency Noob
Jul 17, 2018
I mean, the unit in the video is the DC-DC one. You just need a solid brick to support that build, and you'll be fine. If you want to go brick less, then yeah you'll have to wait for the AC-DC units to come out. Since I plan on water cooling my setup at some point, I won't have room in the top of the case for a PSU because of the fittings that will be coming off the GPU.

Yeah I sort of downscaled my planned build because I didn't want to deal with the power threshold and temps. The 330w Dell brick is the limiter and I didn't want to splash out on the eurocom model. If I could get it brickless AND get 400w all day, that's the dream hence the interest in the 400w AC-DC to go with the 400w DC-ATX.

Are you planning to do a custom watercooling solution, or off the shelf parts? Custom milled stuff would do a better job than full desktop components. There was a neat thread around here somewhere with some sketches.

Reactions: Ghost

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Are you planning to do a custom watercooling solution, or off the shelf parts?

It's going to be custom, in the sense of me picking a bunch of fittings, tubing, and blocks. I'm not buying a pre built/ assembled kit. I'm also not going to custom make any blocks myself. I don't have any R&D time in that sort of stuff.

Ghost

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2018
You water cooling the S4M?

Ghost

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2018

That's awesome got the 400w with the 300w. Def gonna buy the 400w when it comes out.

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
Is it really going to be feaseable to run the internal 400w brick with say a 1080 or so? That thing has to get crazy hot inside a case, I don’t see it working personally. Can’t wait for josh to find a way to prove me wrong,

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Is it really going to be feaseable to run the internal 400w brick with say a 1080 or so? That thing has to get crazy hot inside a case, I don’t see it working personally. Can’t wait for josh to find a way to prove me wrong,

Looks like there'll be an option for a 30mm x 30mm fan which might help, according the link below it starts spinning after 200W...
https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-400w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html
Once version 1.4 issues are identified / ironed out I'd give the internal layout a crack :)

Ghost

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2018

Yea def a concern of mine. Will have to test but hopefully two slim 92 Noctua over it will keep it for blowing up. If seems to hot I'll just buy a brick. But doesn't hurt to try or you'll never know. I'm sure he'll do something cool with the 400w.

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
I'm gonna be deliding my 7700k soon. Just ordered everything I need for it.

Has anyone here ever tried a copper IHS? I ordered one because it was only like $13 so I might as well try it while I'm already deliding it. Worth it or not it sure looks pretty.

Reactions: br3nd0 and Choidebu

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Gamers Nexus did a review on it. Temperature reductions were small. But the IHS is cheap so he liked it.

EDIT: link to video

Penguin

Trash Compacter
Jul 25, 2018
The intel IHS is already copper but with a coating (zink I believe), but I do give you that the clean copper looks sick!

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
I'm gonna be deliding my 7700k soon. Just ordered everything I need for it.

Has anyone here ever tried a copper IHS? I ordered one because it was only like $13 so I might as well try it while I'm already deliding it. Worth it or not it sure looks pretty.

God that copper looks sexy!

I ordered an eBay copper lid from Poland, says up to 20% more surface area coverage than the standard Intel lid, worth a shot I guess... Did you get yours from RockitCool?

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
The intel IHS is already copper but with a coating (zink I believe), but I do give you that the clean copper looks sick!

Stock IHS is nickel coated copper. The temperature improvements come from the larger surface area of the replacement IHS.

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
Though copper is a good conductor, its oxide layer is not...
If the ihs forms an oxide layer it might be less conductive to heat..
Thats why intel coats the IHS before installing.
Though it might look sick, you are gonna slap a heatsink anyway...