SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Moz

Minimal Tinkerer
Jul 3, 2018
The two HD Plex 400's I have are both Version 1.4. As you may know I haven't been able to run my system stable at all using them. It's either the power bricks or the HD Plex. I have ordered the KMPKT Dynamo 360 + 160. I'll be able to tell you where the problem lies when the Dynamo arrives.

Ghost

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2018
This is random, but I feel like an externally powered back-to-back tower-like design could be a natural second product for NFC. I mean basically an S4M folded in half or a variant of that, perhaps without 1080 Ti support, but with a basement for the DC-DC. It's more cube-like vs. tall and slim, which some people prefer. I feel like there's demand for a product like this but it just doesn't exist for some reason. CustomMod makes a few cases with that general configuration, but they have occasional QC issues and aren't generally up to Lian Li quality. And the Hutzy XS was abandoned, so there aren't any premium options for people looking for a tiny tower. Just a thought for the distant future, I know currently Josh's focus is on the new S4M.

I feel like that would be the Dan case then. I think all three of the sfflab fam have their place. The classic is a legend but seems like the new S4M has more flexibility.

Ghost

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2018
Well I meant stock, and by stock I meant no OC with Turbo enabled + undervolted. Disabling Turbo = running at base clock i.e. 3.8GHz on 1-6 cores, which seems like way too big a sacrifice. We're in the awkward situation now where the upper range of Intel mainstream chips can't be cooled in USFF cases at stock settings, so... I'm just wondering what the best option is for the S4M.

What if you limited turbo boost to 4.4GHz on 1-4 cores and 4GHz on 4-6 cores? I wish someone did detailed testing on this. And there has to be a better option than the L9i. Something a few mm taller and all copper + A9x14.

Maybe the cryorog c7 cu with a Noctua slim 92mm. Not sure if it's to tall but might be what your asking for. Kinda pricey tho since c7 cu is 50 plus 15ish for the fan. Josh showed on his video that the l9i or the Zalman with a slim 120 are the best he has tested so far on the market. Also Can't wait to see Kmpkt cooler when it's done. Being made for the S4M.

Reactions: br3nd0

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Rewired the Eurocom last night. Ended up splicing a couple female, three-pin connectors into the original fan header, so that I can use any fan or low noise adapter that I want to. Spliced some male, three-pin connectors back onto the Noctua fans, and threw in some adapters to bring the decibel level down... fans are super quiet now. I can hardly hear them, even when I've been gaming for a while.

I'm half tempted though, to get a couple slim 92MM Noctua fans for it, and mod them to sit on top of the enclosure. That way, I'd have even more airflow for the unit, and it would be even more quiet. If I did that though, I'd HAVE to model and 3D print a new cover for everything, lol.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
One thing I've played with is getting the Cryorig 140mm thin fan and putting it on the inside of the side panel behind the GPU. This will suck a lot of warm air out of the case and exhaust it for you. Might be an easy fix if you're finding the thermals are high.

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
One thing I've played with is getting the Cryorig 140mm thin fan and putting it on the inside of the side panel behind the GPU. This will suck a lot of warm air out of the case and exhaust it for you. Might be an easy fix if you're finding the thermals are high.

Not sure who you were mentioning that to, but once I switch from regular SSD's, to on-board m.2 drives, I'll use the Sky Bracket to mount a couple slim 92MM Noctua's, to help with GPU heat... but overall, my temps aren't bad.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
Myself and other people have mentioned this before but I would recommend undervolting higher end cards to reduce thermals and fan noise. Back when I was running a 1080 in my case I reduced voltage by about 10% while maintaining stock speeds. This resulted in a 6-7 degree (Celsius) difference I’m temps with an 8% or so decrease in fan speed. No drop in performance with a cooler and quieter running PC :)

Reactions: Obelisk and br3nd0

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Aggghhhhh..... 1080 Ti Mini on sale for 649...... aagghhhhhhaskjghaasgj9 I may break down and get it. I just need to sell all my extra pc crap, in order to justify spending the money. lol

**EDIT**
Well..... I did a thing.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Can anybody weigh in on the low profile 1050ti as compared to the normal shorter 1050ti in an S4 build ?
@Kmpkt @Josh | NFC

I've owned both for personal builds.

Unless you have a specific reason to go with the LP version (like from Zotac) you DEFINITELY want to go with the EVGA 1050ti. It runs near silent wheras the LP version has noisy fans. They aren't TERRIBLE, but they are noisy.

Reactions: Naavjames

kulbida

Average Stuffer
Jan 8, 2018

Unless you have a specific reason to go with the LP version (like from Zotac) you DEFINITELY want to go with the EVGA 1050ti. It runs near silent wheras the LP version has noisy fans. They aren't TERRIBLE, but they are noisy.

@Josh | NFC I notice the card sticks out a few mm past the PCI bracket. Will this interfere with the upcoming HD-PLEX 400w AC-DC?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC I notice the card sticks out a few mm past the PCI bracket. Will this interfere with the upcoming HD-PLEX 400w AC-DC?

Not to worry, that's normal. The EVGA 1050ti is standard width. Anything the size of the PCIE bracket is actually a little under standard width.

The HDPLEX 160ACDC (now 200) and 400ACDC are the same height btw.

Peace

Reactions: kulbida

Naavjames

Trash Compacter
Mar 17, 2018

Much obliged sir, that helps a lot. Also, I sent you an email about a modded c8 connector for my hdplex 160 (sold out on your site ) and a zebrawood bezel. It feels like a tinder match. Where you spend ten minutes crafting the perfect intro line and then.........*sigh**swipe* *swipe**swipe*

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Well, the card was delivered before I even woke up this morning! So, I spent a few hours messing around with the case and card. Had to re solder the connections on the power button, because one of them broke off while I was re routing wires and cables. After finally getting the card in and everything rearranged in the case though, I've found that I'm having power issues. When the card wants to kick into high gear, the screen goes black, and I hear something click. I'm pretty sure it's from the HDPLEX. :/ Time to try and get a hold of someone from there.

Just tested a separate 1000w PSU, and I have no issues at all. I may have to temporarily go back to an old case, that way I can mount the PSU properly, and not just have it sitting on my desk lol.

Last edited: