SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Out of curiousity are you providing your YouTube subscribers with notification of these livestreams or just rolling them at random? I for one discovered the last one completely by accident as it was starting. Might be worth finding a way to leverage a larger viewership.

I'll look into it. I actually streamed the first one totally by accident and just rolled with it. :l

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
I really enjoyed the streaming, a lot of forum questions have been answered this way, top notch!

@Josh | NFC I was wondering if you have any examples of m.2 breakout solutions around in the workshop? I'm looking to add fire-wire compatibility into the Asus X470 mobo, and not sure what type of breakout to get. I have an old FW PCI card left or I could get a smaller one like a DeLock MiniPCIe FireWire-adapter.

For the GPU I think I might settle for a Radeon-pro-wx5100, but first need to find out how noisy it is ;-)
Interesting post btw about the WX5100, https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/radeon-pro-wx5100-my-thoughts.6883/

I'm not to worried about the looks of this fan, just about the noise... maybe noctua has something to replace the fan.

Thx

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Simplest way would probably just to buy a tv/monitor wall mount since the S4M is VESA compatible.

Yes this is the best way,

except I messed up...

The S4M-C is VESA compatible, but somewhere we made a mistake with the S4M and the Skyslots are slightly off by a non-visible amount. Unfortunately this means you can use all four mounting points for VESA.

You can still effectively mount it, but I can't advertise it being VESA compatible. It will be corrected in the next revision, if I order a next revision.

Sorry for the confusion :(

Reactions: Phuncz

bananaboy93

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 28, 2018
I just started building in my S4M, despite getting the case many months ago.

I have two questions;
1. One of the motherboard screws (the one closest to the backplate on the PCIe side) will just not latch on. I can keep screwing it and it feels like the screw or joint is broken somehow. I have tried with several screws, even screws that work in the other 3 screw holes, to no avail - which leads me to believe that this shouldn't be an issue with the screw itself. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas what could be the issue?

2. How are people mounting the Dynamo 360/HDPLEX 400 to the case to hold it in place? Without anything to hold it in place, will it be secure for flipping the case upside down, etc.?

Other than that, the case is surprisingly easy to build in! I am however running with an APU and no GPU yet due to the jacked up prices so maybe the difficult part is yet to come when I get the GPU further down the line...? :D

i use some double sided tape like this to hold the hdplex. works really well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-1-2-half-ft-x-3-4-quarter-inch-double-sided-tape-45882.html

Reactions: Tanax

bananaboy93

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 28, 2018
Sup guys!

I also purchased the following power button, but am not sure how to wire it since there weren't any instructions;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0736J4MSQ/?tag=theminutiae-20
Would anyone be able to lend me some information? It has the obvious 12V, and GRD prongs, but then it has two more that are supposedly for a resistor...?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

idk if you got your answer yet, but here are the instructions.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'll look into it. I actually streamed the first one totally by accident and just rolled with it. :l
Indeed, I'd like to join the live chat, if I knew when it was happening. I watched them all non-live though, I like it very much !

Woxys

Chassis Packer
Jan 20, 2016
The video on the first post of this thread has all the changes from the older S4 MIni Classic to the current Skyreach 4 Mini.

Well worth the watch if you're trying to decide between both cases.

Well... i like the case even more after that video! Very informative, thanks!

One question tho, are there holes at the bottom or a way to mount a vertical stand or legs? Like those one

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Well... i like the case even more after that video! Very informative, thanks!

One question tho, are there holes at the bottom or a way to mount a vertical stand or legs? Like those one

I would die for case feet or standa to get my NFC case off the table like that forever, I'd love to be able to use ALL FOUR sides for ventilation. why waste one side?

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
dk if you got your answer yet, but here are the instructions.

I figured out how to do it, with some testing, and already have the switch wired up and in the case. I appreciate you passing along the info though.

...are there holes at the bottom or a way to mount a vertical stand or legs?

Unfortunately there aren't. With how the side panels attach, and the fact that there aren't any slots on the top or bottom of the panels, there isn't a good way to attach feet like the ones you linked. You CAN however, drill holes yourself, if you find some feet that you like. Just keep in mind that the side panels attach with screws that are pretty close the the ends of the top and bottom, so you'll have to make sure that the feet don't interfere with that.

Also, one bit of information that I don't believe I had seen on here, is that the fans in the Eurocom 780 are actually 38MM units. While Josh mentioned swapping them over to the Noctua NF-A4x20 40MM ones, which I did last night, anyone else that does it should know that you'll have to change the mounting points (I zip tied mine in) or ream out the holes in the fan bracket to get larger screws into them. A note to swapping the fans though... the top plate for the power supply WILL buldge slightly, towards the rear where the fans are. It's hardly noticeable, but it's definitely there.

Last edited:

Epsilon748

Efficiency Noob
Jul 17, 2018
Just found out about this case last week and have been talking to Josh about it. Finding out whether parts are size compatible is the toughest part. For example, the most affordable 16GBx2 DDR4 3200 kit is Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM for $299 on Amazon, but Corsair chooses specifically not to list RAM heights on this model. Googling shows 44mm, 46mm, and 49mm values so I just skipped it for G.Skill Trident Z non RGB RAM for $10 more. I've seen that RAM all over in suggestions along with Corsair LPX so it should be a safe buy. I'd rather have RAM that fits for a few $$ more than have the crushing disappointment of RAM that doesn't fit and isn't returnable.

Side note - interesting that the 40mm limit is listed in the specs for RAM, but the recommended build uses F4-3000C15D-16GTZR which is 44mm.

I wish the case was a hair bit thicker to comfortably fit the 15mm 3-5TB 2.5" hard drives - as it is it looks like they'd get cooked against the 1080 mini if I tried to cram them in.

Other than that this case is gorgeous with the wood panel and it fits some beastly components for being smaller than an xbox. Scored some good deals on storage and the 1080 for prime day. I'll shunt the 1080 off to my small server as a guest gaming machine when the 1180 minis drop later this year or early next.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GsRVD2
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GsRVD2/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $299.99)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $43.98)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370N WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $164.03)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $341.30)
Storage: Western Digital - Black NVMe 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $363.31)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $418.36)
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $101.06)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Mini Video Card (Purchased For $469.99)
Other: Dell 330W Replacement AC Adapter for Dell Alienware x51 Desktop, Alienware M18x M18x R1, R2, R3, AM18X-6732BAA, Alienware M18x-0136 W7HP64 , M18X-0143, 100% compatible with P/N: F0K0N, 331-2429, 320-2269, XM3C3, ADP-330AB B, DA330PM111, CN-0XM3C3. (Purchased For $61.98)
Other: Elecrow 13.3 Inch IPS Raspberry Pi Display 1920X1080 Resolution Dual HDMI Portable Monitor PS3 PS4 Gaming Screen with Build-In Speakers for Raspberry Pi WiiU Xbox 360 Windows 7/8/10 ($160.73 @ Amazon)
Other: Skyreach 4 MINI (Purchased For $224.00)
Other: HDPlex 400 DC-ATX (Purchased For $95.00)
Other: S4M Zebrawood Bezel (Purchased For $60.00)
Other: S4M Machined On-Off button (Purchased For $32.00)
Other: Skywire Cables (Purchased For $52.00)
Other: S4 Mini Feet (Purchased For $25.00)
Total: $2927.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-17 14:19 EDT-0400

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Just found out about this case last week

Hey man, welcome to the club. There is a ton of info in this thread about compatibility, and who's managed to get what inside their case. But if you can't find what you're after, just ask around.

@Josh | NFC I'm a bit confused by the blue wire in the original fan wire harness. Is it an rpm signal wire? What did you connect it with? Running a multimeter over the wires, makes me think that it needs to be connected in parallel with the red wire. Is that correct? After swapping the fans, I seem to be getting a clicking noise from where the connectors hook up to the pcb, which I don't think was present before.

I'm tempted to wire in some of the low noise adapters for the Noctua fans as well. They seem to be spinning surprisingly fast and making quite a bit of noise, when the PSU is just idling around 50-60 watts.

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
You are not alone in having Imgur problems [Thread here], I mainly see a white strip down the left hand side for Imgur albums [on Chrome], but this changes to the correct content if i refresh the page.
HTH

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
On mobile right now so can't try, but anybody try CTRL-F5? Sometimes have to do that with the FreeNAS web interface on Chrome...

EDIT : Bah, meant to reply to that in the other thread... Sorry.

SFFnewb

Caliper Novice
Jun 25, 2018
HDPLEX 400w and LA330 not powering my system... It’s a BOM that josh has on his site. What am I doing wrong. First computer build ever and it posted just fine. Can access the internet and surf but as soon as a game is opened it resets... Thinking either the brick or psu is bad. Any advice?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Sounds like a tripped brick. You must be drawing more than the brick could handle. Specs? And unfortunately even original dell bricks can trip... you might have to resort to power limit your gpu.