SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
Would the 400w brick be able to handle a 1080ti? I don't think it would fit next to to the card though. And even if it did the heat from the card would probably be an issue for the brick right?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I think you'd be cutting it close as the 1080ti Founder's Edition has a peak average consumption of around 250W and a momentary peak consumption of 300W. Obviously these numbers would be somewhat higher with an AIB card with a factory overclock.

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
I think you'd be cutting it close as the 1080ti Founder's Edition has a peak average consumption of around 250W and a momentary peak consumption of 300W. Obviously these numbers would be somewhat higher with an AIB card with a factory overclock.

With a peak of 300 I think it would be a perfect match for my i5 7500 65w CPU. Still unsure about it all fitting though.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
With a peak of 300 I think it would be a perfect match for my i5 7500 65w CPU. Still unsure about it all fitting though.

The PCIE cables would interfere. The HDPLEX 400 will allow you to run higher wattage CPUs or do overclocking but it is not going to allow for a GPU that has cables on the side. If we ever see a GPU with the power connector on the end, maybe...but I doubt it.

I think it is realistic with a 65w CPU to see the HDPLEX powering a 1080ti, but it would be externally.

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
The PCIE cables would interfere. The HDPLEX 400 will allow you to run higher wattage CPUs or do overclocking but it is not going to allow for a GPU that has cables on the side. If we ever see a GPU with the power connector on the end, maybe...but I doubt it.

I think it is realistic with a 65w CPU to see the HDPLEX powering a 1080ti, but it would be externally.

Honestly external is no problem for me. Never had any issues with a brick but there are not many options in the 400w range. Unless I'm mistaken there are just the two from your video from a few months ago? But one being very loud and the other being out of my league I just don't really have much to go with.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Quick Update with solved answers:
HDPLEX 400W AC/DC = TBA
4 x HD/SDD = Possible

Hi,

I've been lurking this thread for some time now looking for some input to build my S4Mini.
I'm an audio engineer trying to build a preferably silent, brick-less compact/portable system for audio recording, editing, mixing, video editing and the occasional game.

My S4mini case is sitting on my desk since about 3 or 4 months now a long side SkyWires and a HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX. While I'm waiting on the TBA HDPLEX 400W AC/DC unit I'm trying to figure out the other parts like what video card to get etc. On top of that I need to figure out how to get a fire-wire or thunderbolt connecting into the system. So in short, AC/DC, GPU, RAM and firewire is where I got stuck for the most part.

Here's what I have in mind so far, I do would like to start ordering most of the parts in the coming weeks, as my current system is at the end of it's career and withholding me from my job.

CASE: Skyreach 4 MINI + SkyWires & button etc.

PSU: HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX and HDPLEX 400W AC/DC (temporarily solution.. find a way to connect 2X 220W Clevo bricks that I have here from my laptop or find a Dell 330W brick and sell it later again).

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX X470-I / or ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITX/ac

WIFI ANTENNA: 2x WIFI / BLUETOOTH antenna (2.4 Ghz) WIFI (5.0 Ghz) 53 x 10 × 18 mm, Omni-Directional, RP-SMA-Male-RA connector. Here are the specs, https://halberdbastion.com/products...n-dual-band-wifi-right-angle-terminal-antenna
Side note: It was a bit of a drag to find them and buy 2, so I had to buy them in bulk otherwise the shipping cost for 2 pieces was just outrageous. So if anyone would be interested in small replacement antennas in Europe please let me know as I will have a bunch of these things by next week.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X - CPU

FAN: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 (not sure if it will handle the 2700X but no quiet alternative found so far.)

GPU: I'm looking for suggestions for a quiet yet powerful enough GPU (4GB/8GB) for video editing/rendering and the occasional game. Also need to keep enough space for the HDPLEX 400W AC/DC 190mm x 58mm x 40mm specs, so the listed GPU's won't fit this criteria.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC (169mm x 13.1 cm)
NVIDIA Quadro P2000 (200,66mm x 111,76mm)
Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX (185mm x 122mm)
8GB PowerColor Radeon RX Vega 56 Nano Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (170mm x 95mm x 38mm)

RAM 32GB: (dilemma) What clock speeds do I need 14/15/16, coolest, affordable etc.?
G.Skill Trident Z – DDR4 32 GB: 2 x 16 GB - DIMM 288-PIN - 3200 MHz / PC4-25600 - CL14 - 1.35 V
G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C15D-32GTZKY – DDR4 32 GB : 2 x 16 GB - DIMM 288-PIN - 3200 MHz - CL15 - 1.35 V
G.Skill Trident Z - DDR4 - 32 GB 2 x 16 GB - DIMM 288-PIN - 3200 MHz / PC4-25600 - CL 16 - 1.35 V
G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C16D-32GTZSK - DDR4 - 32 GB: 2 x 16 GB - DIMM 288-PIN - 3200 MHz / PC4-25600 - CL16 - 1.35 V

SSD:

C: Recoup of my current Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB system drive with Windows 7.
D: Session drive: Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0 - 1 TB - 2.5"
E/F: Extra 2.5" drives: Preferably I would like to add 2 more 2.5" drives under the current 2 SSD's for my sample collection etc.
External 3.5" drive: Replacing the 1TB drive in my LaCie Rugged for storage and session backups with Seagate IronWolf ST10000VN0004 10 TB or Seagate Barracuda Pro ST10000DM0004 10 TB.

MONITORS:
Portable monitor: ASUS ZenScreen MB16AC - LED-monitor 15.6" - portable - 1920 x 1080 Full HD (1080p)
Recoup my 2 old Samsung Syncmaster 205w monitors and later on get a LG 34UC98-W - LED-monitor- 34" or similar/better.

FIREWIRE solution:
Ideally would be some sort of a break out solution from the bottom M.2 slot to a fire-wire connector, but the resources or information I found so far are quit thin. Thunderbolt breakout is also an option yet at a higher cost since I would then need a thunderbolt to firewire adapter or hub as well.

EXTRA'S: Additional USB connectivity front or back, and an optical drive would be nice to have as well since my clients like to have a quick reference CD after a session, but a portable solution is fine.

Meanwhile thanks for any feedback, input or help and my apologies for the long post!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Obelisk

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
@LFO I haven’t done the measurements but I’m pretty sure the Palit GTX 1050 Ti card you mentioned would fit in the S4M. It’s passively cooled and would provide you the best option from a decibel standpoint. I’m unsure if it would fit with the 400W AC-DC brick though. If you wanted to do brickeless and quiet with that combo I’m sure you could get it to work with the 160W DC-ATX AC-DC combo.

Again, I have done no math on this. All speculation.

Last edited:

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
It would not. You would have to switch to the Gigabyte 1080 mini.
If I had to get a new GPU it would definitely have to be a upgrade to the 1080ti but I'm happy with my 1080 for now and I'm in no rush to spend $500+ on a new power brick. And I'd also like to see what people have done (if possible) to quiet it down

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Hi, brickeless with the 400W AC-DC is my only option 160W wont cut this build and I already have the 400W DC-ATX. The Palit would be ideal for 0 noise but I just noticed that the specs I found at the dealer website (185mm x 122mm) are different than on the Palit website (182mm x 142mm).

dealwithitx

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2017
Hey guys. Is there a reason a Sky Bracket is SSD and not SSD/HDD? I've found a 2.5" HDD only slightly thicker than my SSD (7mm vs 6.8mm). Is it safe to install this HDD or am I missing something?

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
You should be fine with a 2.5in hdd. It’s designed for both. Maybe some combination of hardware out there won’t fit but it can’t a hurt to try.

Here is an early build in mine with a 2.5 in seagate sshdd and Sammy evo ssd.

Last edited:
Reactions: LFO and dealwithitx

dealwithitx

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2017
You should be fine with a 2.5in hdd. It’s designed for both. May some combination of hardware out there won’t fit but it can’t a hurt to try.

Here is an early build in mine with a 2.5 in seagate sshdd and Sammy evo ssd.

Thanks, I'm gonna do this.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Do you know if there is any space left underneath the SSD/HD to fit another 2.5" HD with 3M tape? I'm used to having 3 drives in my laptop atm all with there own purpose. Thx

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Did that with S4M-C before, see my post here. The conclusion is you can, but 2mm between stacked hdd+ssd is too much. If that 3M tape is <1mm it should work.

Plus, Skyreach added 1mm to the height of the case so my mod would've worked in it.

Reactions: Josh | NFC and LFO

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Would the 400w brick be able to handle a 1080ti?
If you're talking about the Dell 330W brick, then no. It's not built to handle the power spikes. Josh from NFC has done testing on multiple systems, and power options. He has a link to some basic results in the first post.
"Which PSU to choose?
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/skyreach-4-mini-s4m.5715/page-19#post-77858"

Do you know if there is any space left underneath the SSD/HD to fit another 2.5" HD with 3M tape?
There is barely enough space for two drives, but I wouldn't recommend using 3M double sided tape to stick drives together. I've done it before and depending on how much you use, it can be damn near impossible to get them back apart... Trust me... lol. I would recommend using a tiny section of the quick-strip velcro pads, to stick two drives together. It's easier to get apart, and you can keep the velcro on them to mount in other cases or locations in the future. Once you're done with the mounting solution, you can just pull the quick release strip, and everything comes off cleanly.

I ended up dropping from three hard drives, to two, because I didn't want to have to deal with that and the extra cables and connectors in that area. I'd say, unless you really need the extra drives, just try to drop down to two.

Last edited:
Reactions: LFO

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Did that with S4M-C before, see my post here. The conclusion is you can, but 2mm between stacked hdd+ssd is too much. If that 3M tape is <1mm it should work.

Plus, Skyreach added 1mm to the height of the case so my mod would've worked in it.

Thank for confirming, maybe a small aluminum bracket or 3d printed to hold the HD's together on the sides, just a thought!

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
There is barely enough space for two drives, but I wouldn't recommend using 3M double sided tape to stick drives together. I've done it before and depending on how much you use, it can be damn near impossible to get them back apart... Trust me... lol. I would recommend using a tiny section of the quick-strip velcro pads, to stick two drives together. It's easier to get apart, and you can keep the velcro on them to mount in other cases or locations in the future. Once you're done with the mounting solution, you can just pull the quick release strip, and everything comes off cleanly.

I ended up dropping from three hard drives, to two, because I didn't want to have to deal with that and the extra cables and connectors in that area. I'd say, unless you really need the extra drives, just try to drop down to two.

I need the 4 drives indeed, and I have some mini/thin Velcro strips somewhere in my drawers. The downside is the glue on them don't seem to like heat and disconnect easily, maybe I have a couple brackets printed and connect them to the side screws... will see. Getting 3M tape apart is quite easy with dental floss or fishing thread, sew your way through on one side of the tape and the roll off the other side with your thumb, just a tip.

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
If you're talking about the Dell 330W brick, then no. It's not built to handle the power spikes. Josh from NFC has done testing on multiple systems, and power options. He has a link to some basic results in the first post.
"Which PSU to choose?
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/skyreach-4-mini-s4m.5715/page-19#post-77858"

I was referring to the new 400w HDPLEX brick. But there is no room next to a 1080ti. I think I'll end up just picking up a eurocom soon. That way I'll be ready for whenever the 11xx cards come out.