SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
Anyone know a place to get good quality c8 power cables? Amazon has really been letting me down lately with cheap junk.

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
I’ve looked at DigiKey and have did ly no clue which cable to order to go along with my brickless s4m and the c8 connector I got from the nfc site. Anyone have a link to the correct cable?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Like wiring you mean? Like which wire gauge to use or which connector to use for the plug on the AC-DC supply?

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
No just which power cord to go from the wall to the c8 connector I’m going to solder to the hdplex 160 brick.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
This topic might have been discussed already but what do you think the temp differences would be between having an NF-A9x14 mounted on the L9i heatsink compared to using the 120mm fan bracket (skybracket?) to use a bigger fan to blow air down onto the heatsink and the rest of the motherboard?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
This topic might have been discussed already but what do you think the temp differences would be between having an NF-A9x14 mounted on the L9i heatsink compared to using the 120mm fan bracket (skybracket?) to use a bigger fan to blow air down onto the heatsink and the rest of the motherboard?

My hypothesis = bad

It has been done many times with many confirmations of my hypothesis, with a few contradictions here and there.

You need alot of static air pressure for that heatsink design. If you were to find one of those old school "Bloomin Onion" heatsinks (I think Swifttech made one ages ago?" that would work better with a bigger fan (at least that is my guess)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
A TON of cases shipped according to SFFLAB (up to orders placed Jan 10th.) They are just waiting on tracking numbers and then will email them out. Apparently this is not an electronic process with the shipper, so it will be a few days before people start getting tracking numbers.

Wooohooo

Stage II of III part waiting process initiated! :p

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
My hypothesis = bad

I has been done many times with many confirmations of my hypothesis, with a few contradictions here and there.

You need alot of static air pressure for that heatsink design. If you were to find one of those old school "Bloomin Onion" heatsinks (I think Swifttech made one ages ago?" that would work better with a bigger fan (at least that is my guess)

I'd like a definitive answer here too. Does the l9i perform better with a larger 120mm static pressure fan?
I'll play the devil here, but I feel that as nice as the 92x14mm Noctua A9x14 is... it can't compete with sheer oomph that it's larger 120x25mm siblings can put out. There I said it.

Fans such as the Noctua NF-F12, Be quiet! Shadow Wings SW1 and Corsair Air SP120 have a lot going for them. They should vastly outperform the Noctua A9X14. But I've heard two things about the A9x14 that keep the race closer than it should be. First, larger fans typically have larger center hubs, creating a deadzone. Second, the Noctua A9x14 can reach some very high RPMs (2100+) to make up for it's smaller size. Even accounting for those, I just don't think those two are enough to close the sheer size*performance gap.

@Tek Everything did upgrade his S4 + L9i to a 120mm fan here, and mentioned that temps improved, but didn't quantify that. In my personal - anecdotal - testing, I did see temperature drops when switching up to a larger fan. But they weren't as steep as I expected. Only about 3 degrees less. In the end, the larger fan won out, not because of drastically better temps, but because of the improved noise profile.

It would be fun to see someone else do an l9i 92mm vs 120mm comparison. Measure temperature and decibels and put this to bed.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
yeah i was super surprised, i guess its cause i live closer to taiwan than the rest of the guys here. @Josh | NFC any idea when the power switches and cables will go out?

Many of the switches are already sent out, I put a notification on my site and facebook for the cables, but it should be around this weekend.

I got mine in the mail too, but I suspect cheating.

Wasim

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
I'd like a definitive answer here too. Does the l9i perform better with a larger 120mm static pressure fan?
I'll play the devil here, but I feel that as nice as the 92x14mm Noctua A9x14 is... it can't compete with sheer oomph that it's larger 120x25mm siblings can put out. There I said it.

Fans such as the Noctua NF-F12, Be quiet! Shadow Wings SW1 and Corsair Air SP120 have a lot going for them. They should vastly outperform the Noctua A9X14. But I've heard two things about the A9x14 that keep the race closer than it should be. First, larger fans typically have larger center hubs, creating a deadzone. Second, the Noctua A9x14 can reach some very high RPMs (2100+) to make up for it's smaller size. Even accounting for those, I just don't think those two are enough to close the sheer size*performance gap.

@Tek Everything did upgrade his S4 + L9i to a 120mm fan here, and mentioned that temps improved, but didn't quantify that. In my personal - anecdotal - testing, I did see temperature drops when switching up to a larger fan. But they weren't as steep as I expected. Only about 3 degrees less. In the end, the larger fan won out, not because of drastically better temps, but because of the improved noise profile.

It would be fun to see someone else do an l9i 92mm vs 120mm comparison. Measure temperature and decibels and put this to bed.
Do you think Noctua NF-F12 would fit ? Its height (25 mm) might be a problem. Maybe Josh can confirm.