SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Can't wait!
Just a really bad time to build a computer right now with super high DDR4 prices, AMD coming with Ryzen 2 in March/April and both AMD and Nvidia should release new GPUs soon:ish. But oh well, what to do! :D

scott.bumps

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 27, 2017
So I am totally new to computer building and trying to piece together my first build. Only issue I am having is trying to deal with the prices of video cards now. My thoughts so far are to just get the system up and running for now and upgrade down the road. I am fine playing on low or medium 1080p until I can upgrade. Just need some second opinions on possibly purchasing a RX 560, seems like for the price something that cant be beat right now. Originally was thinking 1050ti but hard to find any under 200-250 range.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07661CXT2/?tag=theminutiae-20

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
I'm really tempted to order an s4 and bolt a rad to the outside of it with standoffs now...
I just need a more conventional full cover water blocked 1080ti that'll fit in it.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
So I am totally new to computer building and trying to piece together my first build. Only issue I am having is trying to deal with the prices of video cards now. My thoughts so far are to just get the system up and running for now and upgrade down the road. I am fine playing on low or medium 1080p until I can upgrade. Just need some second opinions on possibly purchasing a RX 560, seems like for the price something that cant be beat right now. Originally was thinking 1050ti but hard to find any under 200-250 range.

Yes it is tough sledding right now for GPU buying. If you aren’t put off by used parts a Gtx 960 itx , such as the Evga sc, is a nice placeholder.

Even those are creeping up over 150 so still kind of rough.

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
Between ram and gpu prices it’s just really an awful time to start a build. I priced 32gb of trident z non rgb but the b die sticks and it was like 450$ and 1060’s are bringing around 400$. I’m out at those prices, glad my stuff is all mostly sorted

Reactions: TheHig

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
I'm really tempted to order an s4 and bolt a rad to the outside of it with standoffs now...
I just need a more conventional full cover water blocked 1080ti that'll fit in it.

Why not just use a bigger case to start with? If you start having to bolt stuff to the exterior of the case, you may as well as just use a bigger case.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Why not just use a bigger case to start with? If you start having to bolt stuff to the exterior of the case, you may as well as just use a bigger case.
Because there isn't one. Theoretically you could bolt a 280 rad and a ddc pump+res combo on one side of the s4 mini and keep the whole thing around 9 liters.

The next closest thing I can think of is Dan's in progress water cooled sfx case, but it can only hold a slim 240 rad.

Reactions: owliwar

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017

MSI GTX 1050 Ti is $158 on amazon right now. Not to bad. Doesn’t ship for 1-3 weeks.

MSI Computer Video Card (GTX 1050 TI 4G OC) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M27X836/?tag=theminutiae-20

Reactions: TheHig

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
I can understand a quick disconnect set up like josh did, actually it’s pretty ingenious. But when it comes to hanging radiators and crap like that oh the outside of the case that’s just kinda silly. Get a bigger case of cooler components. An 8700k in an s4 is going to be super hot and super loud, just no way around that as of now. The best cooler we currently have to pick is a noctua that says specially on its website to not to use on a cpu above 65w and is not sutable at all for overclocking. That’s just that it’s the best we have.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Interesting. Did you do anything special to keep them cool/quiet? I've been shunned on here for even suggesting that combo.
Guys, remember that AP2 is the only user on here who was able to properly mount and fit and install the TITAN HC25 cooler onto his S4M-C. I bought this cooler as well I did thurough rounds of temp testing against my LP53/NFA9x14 combo (which I posted in the S4M-C thread...

and The Titan WOULD NOT properly mate to my ASUS Z270i STRIX board so i couldnt replicate his performance, AP2 has a different board and was able to prolerly mate the Heatsink to the IHS of the CPU, and as such the Titan has been actually a better performing cooler than my LP53 & NFA9x14 combo in his case... but it just WONT MATE to my motherboard... :( Buy it at your own risk,BUT, if you can get it to properly mount/mate, then you'll have the best performing Heatsink/fan combo.

So yeah, heads up.