SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but why does it have to be a 8700K? I know the itch to have the latest & greatest, but it brings so much variables to the table esp. in a case under 5l --> extra cost, extra heat etc.

I mean if its mainly a gaming build (1080) mentioned you would do fine with any Skylake/Kabylake/Coffeelake variant with a 65W or less TDP.

I cut corners because of budget reasons and also wanted to test things and bought a budget B250i board and Pentium G4620 paired with a 1080. I can not notice it being a dual core in any of my daily computing (granted I don't edit videos or render etc). I can play PUBG in 4K with textures on ultra no AA and render scale toned down a bit with no problems hitting above 100fps while maintaining good visuals.

I thought about upgrading to a 7700k down the line, but now having played around with the Pentium for a month I think I'll wait for better multicore optimisation. At least for 4K gaming which seems to be 100% GPU dependant.

Just my 2 cents :)

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Can't you get an 8700K and make it an 8700T? The 8700T probably won't be much cheaper and you'll need an aftermarket cooler anyway. The 8700K is more flexible to use in another case and also has much better resale value.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Untero

Average Stuffer
Dec 14, 2017
Yeah I think you could run the 8700k no problem with nhl9i with a proper tune. Maybe josh will chime in as I’m sure he has experience doing just that.

Link to extreme tech report on intels response to k series heat; 7700k in this case.
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...g-issue-cluelessly-suggests-stop-overclocking

All I’m trying to say and I guess I should have been more clear is that, putting an 8700k in your s4m is going to be very hot and running the fans at 100% is going to be very loud. Some people don’t mind this at all, I know I didn’t 15 years ago, but I wouldn’t do it for anything. I’ll personally wait for the 8700t. I have right now an 8700 non k in an s4c and it runs mid 70’s to mid 80’s at default settingns and it is hella loud with some tuning work even on the non k chip

Hey, I had an idea sticking 8700 non k into a skyreach and now I see a guy who have done that.
I have a couple of questions like what cooler are you going with right now? Is that a nhl9i? Are temps you've described related to the base clock or the turbo boost frequency?
That's indeed pretty hot a 65w processor.
I've seen an s4m-c build with titan cooler that exactly fits the case but there are no "heavy loaded CPU" numbers unfortunately.
Delidding non-k 8700 is indeed an extreme measure but still an option to keep chip cool at turbo boost frequencies.

brennan

Efficiency Noob
Jan 4, 2018
Another inquiry: The size and weight of the S4M is awesome but the portability does me no good if I also have to lug a huge monitor around. That's the main reason I'm considering a laptop over a mini. I know about gechic but their monitors are ridiculously expensive. Are there any other options for a portable-ish monitor (equipped for gaming)?

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but why does it have to be a 8700K? I know the itch to have the latest & greatest, but it brings so much variables to the table esp. in a case under 5l --> extra cost, extra heat etc.
You're probably right. My reason for a 8700k is to simply future-proof my S4M and not have to worry about its performance for a while. As someone who comes from the humble beginnings of macbook gaming, I have quite the lust for insane specs, but the S4M probably won't benefit from such a fiery cpu. I assume a 1080 can carry the weight.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Another inquiry: The size and weight of the S4M is awesome but the portability does me no good if I also have to lug a huge monitor around. That's the main reason I'm considering a laptop over a mini. I know about gechic but their monitors are ridiculously expensive. Are there any other options for a portable-ish monitor (equipped for gaming)?

You're probably right. My reason for a 8700k is to simply future-proof my S4M and not have to worry about its performance for a while. As someone who comes from the humble beginnings of macbook gaming, I have quite the lust for insane specs, but the S4M probably won't benefit from such a fiery cpu. I assume a 1080 can carry the weight.

The heat is a big issue. With how easy it is to upgrade platforms nowadays, why not go for an 8400 and then do an upgrade in the future? Once we hit 10/7nm we should get 8700K performance in a 65W package. The 8400 is a great chip (melt down aside) I can see it perform great for 3-4 years on the bleeding edge.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
The heat is a big issue. With how easy it is to upgrade platforms nowadays, why not go for an 8400 and then do an upgrade in the future? Once we hit 10/7nm we should get 8700K performance in a 65W package. The 8400 is a great chip (melt down aside) I can see it perform great for 3-4 years on the bleeding edge.
Exactly this :) A few years or even months down the line you can get similar performance for less cost and heat.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
By the way, regarding cooling an 8700K in the S4M -- after doing some research, you can cool it with an LP53 + A9x14 if you delid. Possibly if you don't delid too, if you get a good chip and can undervolt well and maybe with some slight underclocking of the max turbo. But with delidding it should work at stock and not be insanely loud. It's what some people have done in the A4-SFX apparently and Dan himself recommended it as a temporary solution before his heatsink comes out.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I've personally gone for an 8400. Gamers dream and 65w - which is the TDP the case was designed for.

"I don't care about what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do." - Gene Kranz, Flight Director, Apollo 13

(well according to the movie anyway)

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
So have people started receiving the first ones yet?

SFFLab now says this on the s4m page:

"Enclosures are handcrafted to order. Order made before and on the day of 2018-JAN-10 will ship starting 2018-JAN-17. Orders made after 2018-JAN-10 will ship within 4-5 business days after the order."

so depending on location and shipping method selected should be some arriving in the near future.

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
SFFLab now says this on the s4m page:

"Enclosures are handcrafted to order. Order made before and on the day of 2018-JAN-10 will ship starting 2018-JAN-17. Orders made after 2018-JAN-10 will ship within 4-5 business days after the order."

so depending on location and shipping method selected should be some arriving in the near future.
Wait so recent orders will ship faster? what the heck????

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
No, @Craxas, thats not what it says. (Was going to do a shipping example, but decided this would be an easier explanation) While it doesn't say that they will ship in order, it would be dumb to ship new orders before the pre-orders are shipped. Besides, if someone were to order it on the 11th, the earliest it would ship would be the 18th...