SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Got nothing against your plan mate. I said 'like normal people' as a tounge in cheek coz obviously people posting here already proved that themselves are not that normal lol.

I myself still holds on to an old 17" vaio lcd screen from my first laptop ever. Would be great to make an enclosure and stand for it..

Reactions: Biowarejak

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
So, I can't think of really where else to post this, but I've been working on my build for the S4M, and have been discussing parts with a friend of mine who is as knowledgeable about computers as I am. He however, is sees things differently than I do and thinks I'm crazy for spending $400 on just the case and power supply. He also is quick to jump on my plan being a waste of time and money, but I still value his opinion as he is a good friend and has been building computers about as long as I have.

So, on to what I was really trying to get to. Through discussions, I have produced 3 types of builds, an i5 7th gen build, an i5 8th gen build, and a Ryzen 5 build. My main conditions are simply that the main drive and the "gaming" drive must be m.2 as I am trying to reduce weight as much as possible(that, and its faster with no wires).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($184.79 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.15 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX H270I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For $149.99)
Storage: Western Digital - Black PCIe 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $270.99)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Mini Video Card ($449.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Pioneer USB 3.0 BD/DVD/CD Portable Burner Model BDR-XD05B ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Skyreach 4 Mini (Purchased For $199.99)
Other: HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX ($95.00)
Other: (Purchased For $99.00)
Total: $1794.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-08 19:23 EST-0500

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.89 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370N WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($160.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For $149.99)
Storage: Western Digital - Black PCIe 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $270.99)
Other: Pioneer USB 3.0 BD/DVD/CD Portable Burner Model BDR-XD05B ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Other: NFC Skyreach 4 Mini (Purchased For $199.99)
Other: Dell Alienware M18x 330W AC Adapter XM3C3 (Purchased For $99.00)
Total: $1850.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-08 19:25 EST-0500

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B350-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99)
Other: NFC Skyreach 4 Mini (Purchased For $199.99)
Other: Dell Alienware M18x 330W AC Adapter XM3C3 (Purchased For $99.00)
Total: $1909.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-08 19:26 EST-0500

The problem I run into, is that boards with two m.2 are not inexpensive as most of them(at least from what I've gathered from right now) are designed with overclocking in mind, which I currently have no interest in(probably can't anyway, my current TDP is about 315w, 240w if you count just the CPU and GPU). The other problem is most boards only have 1 m.2 slot. You would think that a Ryzen 5 build would be cheaper than an intel 8th gen build, but the facts speak otherwise. I have already ordered and received the 1.1 TB M.2 drive since I got a pretty good deal on it. I'm tempted to go with the i5 7th gen build as it is 50$ cheaper than the 8th gen build. However, the 8th gen would be slightly faster, so is spending the extra 50$ worth it? Also, are there any budget friendly motherboards that have 2 m.2 slots? My budget, in-case anyone was wondering is $2,000. However, if I can get more bang for buck by going a little cheaper, I'd go that route.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that currently(at least in the US) there are no m-ITX AMD motherboards that are ryzen boards that support 2 m.2 slots(there are ones with 1 slot) The board I have in the Ryzen 5 build is a motherboard that isn't out yet(it supposedly comes out this month).

I would go pick up a used 7th/6th gen. The quadcore are going for $120 on the Reddit HWS. Picked up a 7400 for $100 from a user.

I'll upgrade to a 7700k once people start upgrading. If I need more power I'll just buy into 8th gen and sell my old stuff.

Siff

What's an ITX?
Dec 9, 2017
Hi @Josh | NFC

I'm a huge fan. I know you love asymmetrical designs.. but I'm glad you went with something symmetric ;) You must be super busy, I registered on the forum just to address those three things:

1-I bought the NFC Skyreach 4 MINI (S4M) and can't wait to get it. I also purchased the "NFC Machined ON/OFF Switch" from your old website. I live in Canada, and the shipping cost was 20$ (the switch is 22$!). It's a bit sad that we can't buy everything from the same shop.. but hey, I guess this is part of being an early adopter ;)

2-I know you are using your case in upright position, I have been looking for a stand and couldn't find any information on the forum. Did you ever considered selling one? In the meantime, do you have any suggestions? Or anyone ready this..

3-In your last video, you mentioned that you are putting your AC/DC brick inside the case, I'd be curious to see this setup, how do you deal with the cables and everything.

Thanks Josh!

Siff

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
Got nothing against your plan mate. I said 'like normal people' as a tounge in cheek coz obviously people posting here already proved that themselves are not that normal lol.

I myself still holds on to an old 17" vaio lcd screen from my first laptop ever. Would be great to make an enclosure and stand for it..
@Choidebu I know you don't, otherwise you wouldn't be in this forum. Just felt the need to answer a rhetorical question, lol.

Also, If i do get DD4-3000 or above, wouldn't it be better to go ahead and get one of the motherboards that's out right now? Because I don't see any motherboards that's native above 2400.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Choidebu I know you don't, otherwise you wouldn't be in this forum. Just felt the need to answer a rhetorical question, lol.

Also, If i do get DD4-3000 or above, wouldn't it be better to go ahead and get one of the motherboards that's out right now? Because I don't see any motherboards that's native above 2400.

It's because you have to enable "OC" profiles in them. Just about any decent board will enable to higher clocked profiles. I wouldn't spend more than 10% more for fast RAM, than decent speed RAM. You hit diminished returns pretty quick. Slower RAM mostly bottlenecks high end GPU (1080 class) and high FPS. It's returns is greatly diminished when you have a 1060-1070 performance.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3086-intel-i5-8400-cpu-review-2666mhz-vs-3200mhz-gaming/page-4

Reactions: futaris

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hi @Josh | NFC

I'm a huge fan. I know you love asymmetrical designs.. but I'm glad you went with something symmetric ;) You must be super busy, I registered on the forum just to address those three things:

1-I bought the NFC Skyreach 4 MINI (S4M) and can't wait to get it. I also purchased the "NFC Machined ON/OFF Switch" from your old website. I live in Canada, and the shipping cost was 20$ (the switch is 22$!). It's a bit sad that we can't buy everything from the same shop.. but hey, I guess this is part of being an early adopter ;)

2-I know you are using your case in upright position, I have been looking for a stand and couldn't find any information on the forum. Did you ever considered selling one? In the meantime, do you have any suggestions? Or anyone ready this..

3-In your last video, you mentioned that you are putting your AC/DC brick inside the case, I'd be curious to see this setup, how do you deal with the cables and everything.

Thanks Josh!

Siff

Hey Siff!

I'll do my best to answer your questions. Thank you for asking them here so others can benefit from them:

1. If you JUST purchased the switch, and nothing else, shipping will be cheaper. I always refund large shipping discrepancies. My website's store plan doesn't support real time and weight shipping, so I have to have brackets, and there are some items in these brackets which are large and would be expensive (like the bezels). All that being said, I too would like ONE shipment place, but this can't happen at the moment. My cases ship direct from the factory now and everything in my shop ships directly from my garage. THANK YOU to all my customers who are first adopters and putting up with all this...

2. I did have a stand concept for the S4M-C, but I just hated how useless it was, so I never released it. I am trying to work on the stand for the S4M but it is targeted for public places. For private homes I think the S4M is plenty sturdy. You can always mount your S4M to the side of your desk or put it on an arm because the SkySlots are VESA compatible.

3. Yes, I will have a video on that for sure. In the meantime check out KMPKT's awesome brickless MINI build:

Thank you for the questions!

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
@Josh | NFC For a stand. What about a solid piece of aluminum. Kind of like the bezel on the original S4M. Thick, with sharp edges to provide stability that's just barely wider than the case to slide into when its vertical. It wouldn't add much to the overall size, and you could design it to sort of hearken back to the S4M-C. I think just the added weight on the bottom, and the sharp edges would be enough to really firm up the vertical orientation.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC For a stand. What about a solid piece of aluminum. Kind of like the bezel on the original S4M. Thick, with sharp edges to provide stability that's just barely wider than the case to slide into when its vertical. It wouldn't add much to the overall size, and you could design it to sort of hearken back to the S4M-C. I think just the added weight on the bottom, and the sharp edges would be enough to really firm up the vertical orientation.

Yeah that's what I got now. I'd like it to be more special though.

The problem is I'm worried about listing it or even showing pictures of it, because I don't want people to get the wrong impression that the S4M needs it in the vertical position. What are your ideas for this predicament?

Wasim

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
I would like to see a nice vertical stand. I looked around but I could not find decent one.

@Josh | NFC regarding shipping I ran into the same problem. I wanted to buy switch but when I tried to checkout shipping cost was $59 to ship to UAE. Honestly I just didn't want to pay that much just for the shipping ( 2-3 x cost of the product ). I would happily pay this much in shipping if I have lets say a Bazel, a stand and a switch to ship. Not a rant just trying to give you perspective as a customer :)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I would like to see a nice vertical stand. I looked around but I could not find decent one.

@Josh | NFC regarding shipping I ran into the same problem. I wanted to buy switch but when I tried to checkout shipping cost was $59 to ship to UAE. Honestly I just didn't want to pay that much just for the shipping ( 2-3 x cost of the product ). I would happily pay this much in shipping if I have lets say a Bazel, a stand and a switch to ship. Not a rant just trying to give you perspective as a customer :)

I think I have a note in the description. I can use an international stamp and a small envelope for this item as it weighs 1oz. I refund shipping overages. I'll look into changing the brackets again, but I don't think I can at this level, and I don't want to pay the 1000$ a month for the next shop upgrade. I don't even make that much a month. XD

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

The problem is I'm worried about listing it or even showing pictures of it, because I don't want people to get the wrong impression that the S4M needs it in the vertical position. What are your ideas for this predicament?
I think would be best to show the Skyreach 4 Mini standing up on its own to enforce that notion and then one with the Skyreach 4 Mini on the stand to show that it is an option.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017

What if it wasn't really marketed as a vertical stand? More like an artistic base to put your case on. Maybe engrave them or something.

I remember a Hardware Canucks video of the Node 202 where they took the vertical stand and placed the case on it horizontally, so it sort of looked like the case was floating. Maybe you could make the vertical stand work in both positions, and when used horizontally it creates this effect. Then its not a vertical stand, just an artistic base you can use in either orientation.

You could have it bolt to the skyslots on either the narrow side or the flat bottom depending on which orientation its in. Think of them more like "feet" that don't just work in the horizontal position, but work in both orientations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obelisk

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Thats what I had in mind also but a bit different. Wood stand that bolts onto the bottom skyslots and also the sides. Could be split for the sides. I'll see if I can mock up something so Josh can just take it and make it instead of me doing R&D XD

Wasim

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
do you plan to use that PSU ???
how about the fan (noctua) noise? is that loud or not?
No, I do not plan to use external psu. The one you see in the picture is taken out from my desktop machine just to test the new components ( motherboard, ram, cpu ) that I received for my S4M build, Just wanted to make sure everything works. I have already ordered DYNAMO 200 with S4M and waiting for it to be delivered. Already received DELL 300w power brick to power DYNAMO.

Noctua is very quiet, you almost can't hear it below 2000 RPM. I tested with 8700k ( stock ), it ramped up to its max speed 2500 RPM (during aida64 stress test), you can hear it, but it did not bother me. idle temps remained 40ish.

I also have ZALMAN CNPS2X and Scythe 120mm fan. I am planning to test it once I have S4M.

mgilang

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2017

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Thanks for the link. its 50mm suppose to be for fan? sorry if thats newbie question.
and also, if i take Skyslot + USB hole, does it will ship in once within the order from https://www.sfflab.com/products/nfc_s4m ?
as the ship of skyslot + usb are the same as the price $35

i think the page on sfflab.com should include the accessories or addon

Dear mgilang,

SFFLAB and NFC Systems are two separate entities, and the shops are in two separate locations in the world. The MINI is my design and product, but it is exclusively available through SFFLAB, and ships directly from the factory to you.

The bezels and other accessories, like the power button, are made by me in my shop. So there is no way to combine them.

If you want to mod yourself, I encourage that, and will try to get files up when I'm not so busy. I do have the full sketchup model which will work though for the 2D bezel at least. If you want help with it, then I am happy to do it and very glad for the work, but it needs to ship separate.

I hope this makes sense.

Peace