Simple Dual Pico PSU Set Up

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
You definitely could just jump it. I saw many people who used that method, I just wanted something that switched on and off.

Cool I can point people who have been asking me about this to your rig.

Please don't think I was criticizing your setup (quite the opposite)--I was mainly commenting for people who didn't like the harness but liked the idea. :)

Peace.

Reactions: Tek Everything

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
One could always solder a couple of wires between the two PicoPSUs, no?

I mentioned this earlier, I assume there is nothing stopping one from just taking two wires and connecting the Picos directly exactly like the harness does. I will test when I eventually get some stuff to play with.

jottwehh

Bonobo
Mar 19, 2016
Is it possible to use this double Pico PSU setup with a single 330W Power Brick (like Dell or HP Voodoo), just by connecting both Pico inputs to the brick connector?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
This is a big reason I like external power bricks over SFX psus for SFF, I know some insist on having internal PSUs and that external bricks are "cheating" but they really don't add to the volume when you can hide them away like that.

Well you can also just hide the whole PC away like that if you're building in an S4 Mini or a similar case, but the build doesn't have 0L volume because of it, does it?

I understand the whole argument about footprint, absolutely valid, but I think the external bricks should still count to the volume. The problem with the whole discussion only really arises if someone claims to have a "smaller" build than somebody else while he just hides away a third of the volume somewhere else. In that case, it really feels like cheating.

But if you just want the box on your desk to take up less space, that's one of the ways to do it and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Also yes, just emulating that harness by soldering a few wires will work absolutely fine. The cables don't even need to be very thick, the amount of current on those control lines is minuscule.

Is it possible to use this double Pico PSU setup with a single 330W Power Brick (like Dell or HP Voodoo), just by connecting both Pico inputs to the brick connector?

Yes, it is. Not sure why you'd have to do that, you won't get more power output that way, but you can.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
Well you can also just hide the whole PC away like that if you're building in an S4 Mini or a similar case, but the build doesn't have 0L volume because of it, does it?

I understand the whole argument about footprint, absolutely valid, but I think the external bricks should still count to the volume. The problem with the whole discussion only really arises if someone claims to have a "smaller" build than somebody else while he just hides away a third of the volume somewhere else. In that case, it really feels like cheating.

But if you just want the box on your desk to take up less space, that's one of the ways to do it and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Sure, I can agree with that.

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
Something like this...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W52YJBW/?tag=theminutiae-20

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
My biggest problem with the X7 is the power connectors which are soldered to the bottom of the board. There is also the X3-ATX-300 which was an alternative to HDPLEX 250w and had a similar sized PCB but they have since soldered the power connectors to the PCB like the X7 and made it larger as a PSU drop in replacement but disappointing for custom situations like fitting it in slim line cases.

I came to the conclusion that so long as there are no problems that crop up using a separate unit for the GPU then I would much rather use two of the smaller Z3's to provide similar power in a much smaller form factor.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
My biggest problem with the X7 is the power connectors which are soldered to the bottom of the board. There is also the X3-ATX-300 which was an alternative to HDPLEX 250w and had a similar sized PCB but they have since soldered the power connectors to the PCB like the X7 and made it larger as a PSU drop in replacement but disappointing for custom situations like fitting it in slim line cases.

I came to the conclusion that so long as there are no problems that crop up using a separate unit for the GPU then I would much rather use two of the smaller Z3's to provide similar power in a much smaller form factor.
I'm with you on that. It would also allow you to creatively stash the second one somewhere in the case.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
It appears that the input board isn't soldered to the board;

It looks like the same unit as the 300w, just slotted through a hole in the PCB:

Reactions: Soul_Est

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
It appears that the input board isn't soldered to the board;

It looks like the same unit as the 300w, just slotted through a hole in the PCB:

This is the old board, you cannot get it from the supplier any more and most places are just using old photos or a mix of old & new photos like typical misleading online chinese store fronts... There is some chance you might get the old one I guess but the new one & current one being manufactured has a PCB the size of the metal plate and the power connectors are soldered to the bottom.

I'm with you on that. It would also allow you to creatively stash the second one somewhere in the case.

I am thinking of getting an empty female connector and attaching in the case somewhere so I can easily clip and unclip the additional PSU, probably closer to the GPU with a short PCI-E power cable.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Both pics have the PSU plate design. the power PCB is pointing downwards in both images, with the plugs pointing out the underside of the plate. ALl pics ive found of the x7 500w has the same design - the vertical input PCB

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
Both pics have the PSU plate design. the power PCB is pointing downwards in both images, with the plugs pointing out the underside of the plate. ALl pics ive found of the x7 500w has the same design - the vertical input PCB

Yes that is the old one, like I said, perhaps some people still have old stock but I wouldn't count on them actually sending you the one in the picture but maybe worth the risk?

This is the new one here.

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
Yeah its kind of lame since they would be potentially quite useful and that 300w would have been a perfect HDPLEX alternative but I don't want go ahead and try get an old one only to love it and not be able to get more.

I think the Z3-ATX-200 with wide input is really impressive on paper though and probably the best choice given its size but we will see for sure when China Post eventually delivers one to me.

jottwehh

Bonobo
Mar 19, 2016
I know this type of connectors from my old Dell GX620 USFF

Here is a Guy using a standart ATX PSU with his DELL. Maybe its intersting for you because of the the wiring.

Reactions: michaelmitchell