Power Supply Silverstonetek SX750 (SFX, 750W, Platinum, semi passive)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I just discovered yesterday that Silverstonetek is adding a new SFX PSU SX750, to compete directly versus Corsair SF750.

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=946&bno=22&tb=14&area=en

Unlike other Silverstone SFX PSU, this SX750 is packing semi passive capabilities :

Release date and price are still missing.

This PSU should become a great contender versus SF750.

BonfireOfDreams

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2019
I'm completely supportive of semi-passive modes, but for some cases I would prefer the option to decide whether that gets turned on or not. The SG-13 for example, has better thermal performance with an inverted PSU over the CPU cooler (assuming case is air cooled). Definitely don't want those fan to stop spinning >.>

Edit: On the more positive side, I'm glad to see more high watt SFX PSU availability with the way many computer builds are heading.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I'm completely supportive of semi-passive modes, but for some cases I would prefer the option to decide whether that gets turned on or not. The SG-13 for example, has better thermal performance with an inverted PSU over the CPU cooler (assuming case is air cooled). Definitely don't want those fan to stop spinning >.>

Edit: On the more positive side, I'm glad to see more high watt SFX PSU availability with the way many computer builds are heading.
In that case you can use SX700-PT. Its fan is spinning at 1500rpm even at idle. Not silent, but as far as I tested it's close to noticeable whisper. While gaming I can't hear it.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I was a big fan of the silverstone sfx psus in the early days. Had a 450w bronze or gold unit that I did a 80x15mm noiseblocker fan mod on.

I appreciate silverstone uses the same pinout across their whole lineup, and has reasonably priced aftermarket cables to buy.

The corsair units are just so much quieter.

Maybe this will change with the new 750w unit from silverstone. IMO they could really score big if they undercut corsair on price. That corsair unit is damn expensive.

Overall I love silverstone as a company. They put out unique products (accessories) and have been at the forefront of SFF PCs for many years.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I was a big fan of the silverstone sfx psus in the early days. Had a 450w bronze or gold unit that I did a 80x15mm noiseblocker fan mod on.

I appreciate silverstone uses the same pinout across their whole lineup, and has reasonably priced aftermarket cables to buy.

The corsair units are just so much quieter.

Maybe this will change with the new 750w unit from silverstone. IMO they could really score big if they undercut corsair on price. That corsair unit is damn expensive.

Overall I love silverstone as a company. They put out unique products (accessories) and have been at the forefront of SFF PCs for many years.

It all comes down to who they contract to make these. PSU margins are quite slim, IIRC only 10% or so...Corsair's units are expensive because they don't cut corners with their OEM

Reactions: jamescarter117

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
It all comes down to who they contract to make these. PSU margins are quite slim, IIRC only 10% or so...Corsair's units are expensive because they don't cut corners with their OEM

Agreed, I had (may still have somewhere) a 500W SFX-L that had a really annoying fan noise.

Ultimately a decent PSU will last many years / builds. Buy the best you can and it will serve you well.

Reactions: rfarmer

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
well, well, I have to disagree on that point.
SF series fan is just a horrible fan.
My SF600 failed in a cunning way as my pc starts running into random crashes.
Basically I can complain on my 3 personal SF PSU, 2xSF600 and 1xSF450 (all gold from 2016).

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
well, well, I have to disagree on that point.
SF series fan is just a horrible fan.
My SF600 failed in a cunning way as my pc starts running into random crashes.
Basically I can complain on my 3 personal SF PSU, 2xSF600 and 1xSF450 (all gold from 2016).

Sucky luck.

The Corsairs are GreatWall units....and, fan aside, their circuit design and implementation is (lemons/recalls aside) excellent. Their PT units when benched almost clear titanium, and their voltage regulation is similarly impressive.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Sucky luck.

The Corsairs are GreatWall units....and, fan aside, their circuit design and implementation is (lemons/recalls aside) excellent. Their PT units when benched almost clear titanium, and their voltage regulation is similarly impressive.
Sure PT SF series seems way better but it will be difficult for Corsair to come back in my heart..:D
Seasonic remains my favorite brand, but it's a pity there is no brilliant Seasonic SFX PSU.

I also love my SX-800 lti that is great.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This is definitely a contender for my next build. Great to see more high efficiency SFX units out there, even if I likely won't need anywhere close to 750W (I'm not getting a 3080 or 3090!).

thefireofwisdom

Chassis Packer
Sep 21, 2020
My build is nearly assembled. I'm just waiting for the Nvidia RTX 3070 to become available (which will prove difficult to acquire probably over the next few months, if not the entire upcoming year) and waiting on my Corsair SF750 order, which now appears to be backordered till 12/16/20. I may acquire the Silverstone SX750 if it is available soon. I'd love to see a head to head comparison between these 2 PSUs.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
My build is nearly assembled. I'm just waiting for the Nvidia RTX 3070 to become available (which will prove difficult to acquire probably over the next few months, if not the entire upcoming year) and waiting on my Corsair SF750 order, which now appears to be backordered till 12/16/20. I may acquire the Silverstone SX750 if it is available soon. I'd love to see a head to head comparison between these 2 PSUs.
Please also note that Seasonic is also releasing an SFX 750W PSU..:D
Normally by 2021, you will have 3 choices for SFX 750w PSU..;)

thefireofwisdom

Chassis Packer
Sep 21, 2020
Please also note that Seasonic is also releasing an SFX 750W PSU..:D
Normally by 2021, you will have 3 choices for SFX 750w PSU..;)
Awesome. Looking forward to online reviews comparing noise, cooling, efficiency, etc. between these 3. Grill design for most noise reduction may be a determining factor and/or whether a quieter Noctua fan can replace the stock fan.

Don't forget the upcoming Cooler Master SFX 750 & 850 too.
Also great, but it appears the Cooler Master SFX will only be rated Gold, compared to the Platinum rating of the Corsair, Silverstone, and Seasonic SFX PSUs.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
SX750 platinum is arriving to market, as competition with cooler master v850 sfx gold...only missing player will be seasoned.
Most probably I’ll buy one sx750 for my future build.
Cooler master could be a decent choice, but as Corsair, I got 2 faulty psu in the past.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
That's unfortunate to hear...
Did you record how much power your system was drawing?
Nope but it should be around 500w, 350w for RTX 3090 and 90w for cpu.
I’m pretty v2.0 will be fixed..:)
Unfortunately for Silverstonetek, I picked up a SF750 meanwhile. If it performs as advertised it should match my need.