Show your new toys Topic

Moncavo

Average Stuffer
Mar 11, 2020
Added a bunch of nuggets to my "Vintage" iPod collection. Going to fix up and/or mod most, maybe all of them.

4x 2nd Gen Minis
1x 6th Gen Classic
2x 7th Gen Classics

Als got a worthless scruffy looking nano, instead of another gen 2 mini I ordered... Seller is being unhelpful and rude, probably going to take a loss on it.

Its actually quite a neat little player, but they're hard to fix, parts are hard to get and have 0 resell value anyway...
Where did you get these? I want a MP3 to hear music during running. And I don't want to use smartwatch or smartphone on my pockets. I want a very light MP3.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Have you seen these Sandisk players? Pretty small and bluetooth.
I'll be looking for something like that too. Not sure why I can't buy the Sandisk players locally as all their USB flash drives and SD cards are available here.

I'll post a pic later, but all my new toys have been audio related in the last few weeks.

I just picked up a pair (or 4) of AKG N400NC True Wireless earbuds direct from the AKG store for under $50. They were already a very good option at their regular price of $150.

Reactions: rfarmer

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Where did you get these? I want a MP3 to hear music during running. And I don't want to use smartwatch or smartphone on my pockets. I want a very light MP3.
Used classifieds, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend any* of them for working out with. they're too bulky compared to modern stuff, and the Nano's* are all on the verge of dying.

Aside from the Sandisk there's also stuff like the Fiio M5 and Shanling M0, they're both tiny and have BT, I'd say pick the one you like best or the one that's available.

*But if you prefer to stick to the Apple stuff, there's one exception to the Nano lineup, the 7th gen. Its tiny like the other Nano's but it has an easily(compared to the others) replaceable battery, has BT and actually comes with enough storage to get a decent amount of music on there.

tasen

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2020

My "new" Truenas server build with old parts i had lying around 😅
Front cover not mounted on the photos.

Specifications:
  • Asus ROG STRIX B450-I Gaming itx Mainboard
  • Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
  • Asetek 645lt AIO piggyback mounted at the back (double sided tape)
  • 32 GB regular RAM (gonna be replaced with ECC memory)
  • older Intel 10Gbit ethernet card
  • 4 x Samsung 870 EVO SSDs
  • some nvme SSD as bootdrive
ToDo:
  • Find a place to install the Intel Optane 900P U.2 Drive (on the way)
  • Mount front cover
  • do some final tweaks und test iscsi Perfomance

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Used classifieds, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend any* of them for working out with. they're too bulky compared to modern stuff, and the Nano's* are all on the verge of dying.

Aside from the Sandisk there's also stuff like the Fiio M5 and Shanling M0, they're both tiny and have BT, I'd say pick the one you like best or the one that's available.

*But if you prefer to stick to the Apple stuff, there's one exception to the Nano lineup, the 7th gen. Its tiny like the other Nano's but it has an easily(compared to the others) replaceable battery, has BT and actually comes with enough storage to get a decent amount of music on there.
With the FiiO M5, you can get a case and watch strap for it: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000282726584.html

Have not found anything for the Shanling M0, yet.

Reactions: rfarmer

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2020
I never thought I'd effuse about a chair of all things, but the Steelcase Gesture really is something special isn't it? Cost more than my first car, but worth every penny. I'd suffered searing back pain for years using a cheapo Argos chair, but can do 12 hour shifts in this thing no problem. I honestly think it'll last a lifetime. Only issue is my missus keeps trying to nick it!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I never thought I'd effuse about a chair of all things, but the Steelcase Gesture really is something special isn't it? Cost more than my first car, but worth every penny. I'd suffered searing back pain for years using a cheapo Argos chair, but can do 12 hour shifts in this thing no problem. I honestly think it'll last a lifetime. Only issue is my missus keeps trying to nick it!

Very nice, I would say buy the missus her own but at that price maybe not. It is more than my first car too.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Lineage OS 18.1
Running my Android phone without linking it to a gmail account so far, but I would like to experiment alternative OSes also.
I've got Graphene, Calyx and Copperhead on my list. Recommendations are welcomed :)

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Running my Android phone without linking it to a gmail account so far, but I would like to experiment alternative OSes also.
I've got Graphene, Calyx and Copperhead on my list. Recommendations are welcomed :)
Have a look at /e/OS, Lineage + microG (what I run on my phone), and BlissRom.

Reactions: BaK

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Really enjoying the bass and treble knobs! :cool:

I do wish I had EQ built into my DAC.

I'm using Equalizer APO and PEACE in Windows to set my EQ which does allow much finer grain tuning, but with controls on the DAC I'd have probably just boosted my bass a few dB and brought down the treble a bit and called it a day.

tasen

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2020

Needed a new case for my NAS. The old one was too small for all the components and good cooling.
It's a Silverstone CS280B with a 8 x 2.5" hot swap cage

Components still the same as in the old case except the Intel SSD and HDPlex psu combo:
  • Asus ROG STRIX B450-I Gaming itx Mainboard
  • Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
  • Asetek 645lt AIO piggyback mounted at the back (double sided tape)
  • 32 GB regular RAM (gonna be replaced with ECC memory)
  • older Intel 10Gbit ethernet card
  • 4 x Samsung 870 EVO SSDs
  • Intel Optane 900p SSD
  • HDPlex 400W DC-ATX and 400W AC-DC
  • some nvme SSD as bootdrive

The HDPlex AC-DC is just hung in with some metall rods and the Optane SSDs lies on top 😅

It's all a temporay solutions until I can get a affordable server ITX mainboard

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
That reminds me of the little NAS I've made out of my SG05, I only have room for two 3.5" HDDs though.
Could you tell us more about the Optane disk, what it is there for?

Reactions: Arboreal

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I really wish there were more good NAS cases out there. It's amazing how expensive a SATA/SAS backplane and some drive bays can be, considering the prices of Silverstone's offerings. Heck, 5.25" hot swap bays are stupid expensive too. I'll be swapping two drives in my Node 304 soon, and I'm really not looking forward to it.

tasen

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2020
Could you tell us more about the Optane disk, what it is there for?
I use it as SLOG Device in truenas (separate intent log) which can speed up write operations when you set your data pool to do synchronous writes.
Optane drives have a very low latency and do not brake in when you do continuously write operations. Before the optane I tried a few regular Samsung nvme SSDs and they couldn't withstand the write operations resulting in a performance drop

I really wish there were more good NAS cases out there. It's amazing how expensive a SATA/SAS backplane and some drive bays can be, considering the prices of Silverstone's offerings. Heck, 5.25" hot swap bays are stupid expensive too. I'll be swapping two drives in my Node 304 soon, and I'm really not looking forward to it.
Yeah prices are really horrible! An alternative for me was the U-Nas with 8 x 3.5 slots but I couldn't get one for a good price. So I ended up with the silverstone

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I use it as SLOG Device in truenas (separate intent log) which can speed up write operations when you set your data pool to do synchronous writes.
Optane drives have a very low latency and do not brake in when you do continuously write operations. Before the optane I tried a few regular Samsung nvme SSDs and they couldn't withstand the write operations resulting in a performance drop
Interesting, I thought Optane was only used as a cache option for HDDs.
Also surprised to hear that nvme is not the top notch solution for such a use case!
Thanks for the info!