Show your new toys Topic

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Interesting, I thought Optane was only used as a cache option for HDDs.
Also surprised to hear that nvme is not the top notch solution for such a use case!
Thanks for the info!
Those cache drives are the low capacity consumer Optane products (which topped out at 120GB I think?). That drive is an enterprise/workstation drive with higher capacity (and a price to match). Optane is much faster than NAND, especially for random workloads and low queue depths, but it scales poorly in terms of density so it's poorly suited for mass storage sadly.

Reactions: BaK

tasen

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2020
Interesting, I thought Optane was only used as a cache option for HDDs.
Also surprised to hear that nvme is not the top notch solution for such a use case!
Thanks for the info!
I had to learn that the word "cache" drive doesn't exist in the truenas world and especially truenas forum 😅 But yeah, it's much easier to call it cache drive then try to explain what it ectually does 🙂
Funny thing is ixsystems (developer of truenas) also use the therm "write cache" in their description for their own systems ...

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I had to learn that the word "cache" drive doesn't exist in the truenas world and especially truenas forum 😅 But yeah, it's much easier to call it cache drive then try to explain what it ectually does 🙂
Funny thing is ixsystems (developer of truenas) also use the therm "write cache" in their description for their own systems ...
Are you using it as an L2ARC? I was planning to use a spare 500GB SSD as a "cache" before I started learning the ins and outs of TrueNAS, and ended up skipping L2ARC entirely - it just didn't seem useful for my use case.

tasen

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2020
Are you using it as an L2ARC? I was planning to use a spare 500GB SSD as a "cache" before I started learning the ins and outs of TrueNAS, and ended up skipping L2ARC entirely - it just didn't seem useful for my use case.
No not using as L2ARC. Only for SLOG/ZIL ("write cache" 😁 ).
Yeah, adding more RAM instead of adding a SSD for L2ARC seams the better solutions. Adding a L2ARC device wil rob ARC (RAM) space to map the L2ARC which could also cost you performance than giving you a performance boost 😲

Did you try Truenas Scale already? Overall it's more compatible to my system and better performing than Truenas Core (13.x) but that's because of my old Intel 10G Nic I think

Reactions: Phuncz

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
No not using as L2ARC. Only for SLOG/ZIL ("write cache" 😁 ).
Yeah, adding more RAM instead of adding a SSD for L2ARC seams the better solutions. Adding a L2ARC device wil rob ARC (RAM) space to map the L2ARC which could also cost you performance than giving you a performance boost 😲
Ah, you have a use for that? I decided against that seeing how my NAS doesn't get that much write activity. Or, the media drive does, but that isn't anywhere near performance sensitive, and rather intermittent still.

I didn't know that about the performance impact of L2ARC btw - though it does make sense. If the L2ARC is "level 2, slower RAM", then it makes sense that some RAM capacity is lost to keep things coordinated.

Speaking of RAM, I actually recently saw someone running just 16GB of RAM for a 24GB ZFS pool (with no L2ARC), and apparently it performed well for them. That definitely surprised me. Still, I'm happy I got 32GB for the sake of future-proofing - I'll be replacing my two 4TB drives with 8TB ones as soon as I get the time, which will push my total capacity well past 16TB raw.
Did you try Truenas Scale already? Overall it's more compatible to my system and better performing than Truenas Core (13.x) but that's because of my old Intel 10G Nic I think
I'm running Core, haven't even updated the system much (still on 12.0 U6.1), prioritizing keeping it running and working well. It's at 200 days of uptime right now, so I'm pretty happy. Still, lots of changes coming this summer - that storage upgrade I mentioned, plus finally getting my 2.5G NIC wired up. It's installed and activated (it's a Realtek NIC, so it needs a couple of tunables to activate the driver), but I'm waiting on having the NAS taken out of its cubby for actually giving it an IP as that necessitates deactivating the built-in NIC, and knowing my luck something will no doubt go wrong with that handoff :p And having to get it out of there to install a GPU and get command line access to fix any issues will be ... well, not fun!

tasen

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2020
I tried to setup my Truenas as good as it's possible which means sync writes on my pool, a SLOG Device (for performance), ECC Memory, server hardware, etc. This is why I have the optane SSD.

Isn't 16GB the minimum for Truenas? Or was it 8GB?
32GB is OK, but the more you have, the better peformance gets. My goal is at least 64GB. Had this on my previous setup.

How do you replace them? Replace one 4TB with a 8TB, let the Raid rebuild and than replace the second one? Or do you go the backup and restore path?

Oh good luck than on your planed tasks and upgrades 😀
Network changes can be tricky but I never lost my access to the system, just had some weird situations by changing NICs 😩

Reactions: Phuncz

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Well, been a while since I been on here but love all the NAS I’m seeing. Sadly I’m still rocking a synology but I will build one someday. Anyways, just got my Steamdeck in right before my vacation and looking forward to trying her out.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
SO I got fed up of fighting my new Ender 3 Pro S1....returned it to Amazon....in its place

Bought it pre-built. Pulled it out of the box, plugged it in. Gave it filament. And BOOM doing a print with no screwing around. As much as I wanted to 'save' a buck, there's something to be said for having a printer that you just print with, and not have to screw around with to get to work.

Mad Kudos to Prusa. The manual is pictured...because no one gives a paper manual. And NO ONE gives a paper manual actually worth a damn with their product these days.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
SO I got fed up of fighting my new Ender 3 Pro S1....returned it to Amazon....in its place

Bought it pre-built. Pulled it out of the box, plugged it in. Gave it filament. And BOOM doing a print with no screwing around. As much as I wanted to 'save' a buck, there's something to be said for having a printer that you just print with, and not have to screw around with to get to work.

Mad Kudos to Prusa. The manual is pictured...because no one gives a paper manual. And NO ONE gives a paper manual actually worth a damn with their product these days.
That looks like a book you'd actually pay money for. Nice!

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
The older I get the more precious time becomes. So these kind of proven things are starting to appeal more to me than fiddly look-at-it-sideways-aand-it's-broken hackery stuff that I used to love. If I ever buy 3d printer, it'll be a prusa.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The older I get the more precious time becomes. So these kind of proven things are starting to appeal more to me than fiddly look-at-it-sideways-aand-it's-broken hackery stuff that I used to love. If I ever buy 3d printer, it'll be a prusa.
Same. While I generally love various DIY stuff - and am arguably doing more of it as of late - as I've grown older I've come to appreciate the distinctions between DIY for its own sake, DIY 'cause it gets me something I couldn't otherwise get/afford, and DIY because it gets me something I want/need (but could just buy). And the latter is looking increasingly unattractive. With the risks and hassle involved with DIY, if you actually need the end product to work, having the time to troubleshoot and fix things on a DIY project is an immense privilege that my life mostly just doesn't afford me. DIY stuff is fun and rewarding on its own, and removing the stress of "damn, I actually need this to work" improves the experience; DIY that gets me something I couldn't otherwise get is similar, and lowers the stakes as failure typically isn't a big deal (while success might be very nice); DIY to make something that I actually need to work, that's essentially taking on a second job/unsupervised apprenticeship as a maintenance technician for whatever that thing is. These obviously blend into each other (the existence of the DIY 3D printer market is precisely because most people couldn't initially afford to buy one, after all), but learning to identify which project idea fits into which category for me is proving to be a very valuable life skill.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
A friend saved a few Dell Optiplex 3050 AIO that his work was sending to trashbin. He gave me one that has a failing LCD panel.

The idea is to harvest the motherboard and transplant it inside al old console case or make a simple chassis for it for some retro gaming goodness. It's equiped with an Intel core i5-7500T, eth/wifi/bluetooth are all working with Linux (tested with lakka).

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I had an 'Unexpected NUC in bagging area' moment yesterday, having found a cheap NUC7i5 locally on Gumtree a week or so ago...😂
It hadn't sold on Wed, so I agreed to meet the seller yesterday who was moving house that day and picked it up at a good price for a pretty new model.
I had assumed it was barebones, but when I opened it up, it had 8GB of DDR4 and a 240GB SATA M.2 drive in it, with Win 10 ready to run!

I think it was cheap as it runs HOT.
I left it updating Windows and came back to a black screen with a thermal shutdown warning. I can see the inlet vents are dusty, and it looks like they get dusty quickly from what I have read online.

Ifixit have a page for a NUC8 tear down, and this looks pretty much identical. It's a bit more complex than my old 3rd & 4th gen NUCS as it has mics to unplug and a harder to unplug WIFi card.
I'm hoping a dust down and repaste will cool it down, as it has done for others online. The Kaby Lake i5 looks about the same as the i3 4130 in my Haswell thin ITX rig, and less than 1/4 the size.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
As someone who works in retail as my day job, this made me laugh way more than it should have.

You're most welcome John, glad someone appreciates my sense of humour!
Can you cancel my Silver sub please, I can't seem to renew using the monthly option

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
You're most welcome John, glad someone appreciates my sense of humour!
Can you cancel my Silver sub please, I can't seem to renew using the monthly option
Your account should lapse off the old subscription today (or yesterday NZ time XD). I can force it early, but you did pay for that time :)

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Your account should lapse off the old subscription today (or yesterday NZ time XD). I can force it early, but you did pay for that time :)
It's done... Hopefully back on the sub train.

I bench stripped the NUC 7i5 this afternoon and found that the fan to heatsink fin interface was fully clogged with nasty looking sticky fluff which must have pretty much blocked all the airflow.
I brushed all the dusty stuff out of the fan and cleaned the blades while I was in there.
Removing 3 more screws had the cooler plate of and it was treated to a repaste with Kryonaut.
Although it feels a little warm on top, it's running much cooler and the fan is having some effect.

The WiFi and front mic wire removal way quite delicate as the connectors re really tiny, but the iFixit NUC 8 instructions were spot on and warned of this.

Normal service has been resumed, time for a bit of a clear out...

Reactions: Valantar