Show your new toys Topic

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2020
It's only going to be used for local storage, so no Internet connectivity required. I'll probably use WSUS Offline to update it with whatever updates are available, for maximum stability. Surprisingly, I believe Server 2008 R2 did get an update for the recent PrintNightmare vulnerability.

Be warned....the Tuesday patch for PrinterNightmare that MS issued for W10 didn't work.

I doubt the patch for 2008 did either, but YMMV.

Reactions: AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Be warned....the Tuesday patch for PrinterNightmare that MS issued for W10 didn't work.

I doubt the patch for 2008 did either, but YMMV.

Ouch! Thanks for the heads up.

My ASUS Router has been really good since I updated it to Asuswrt-Merlin. It's going to have to hold the fort until Microsoft tries again!

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2020
After a few days of data moving and Dropbox syncing...all up and running. Still haven't gotten around to setting up Plex yet. Mass storage for a TB of music and movies and also hosts my backup of my Google Photos. Have Dropbox setup to mirror it so I have offsite backup as well.

With these Synologies....their SHR is basically RAID10, so one I fill up 3.6TB, I can just toss another couple 4TB drives in it....or bigger drives, and then retire the 4TB drives. Only thing still missing really is an UPS for the unit, these guys really hate having their power cut.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Only thing still missing really is an UPS for the unit, these guys really hate having their power cut.

That's the biggest issue with my old WD Sentinel DX4000. In testing over the last few weeks I pulled the power to check what would happen.

That triggered a RAID verification which took over 15 hours to complete with only 2x 2TB drives installed. The NAS was also noticeably slower to access during that time. My 4x 6TB drives have just arrived from Amazon, so if I get those working a verification would probably take well over a week.

I'm sure your new Synology won't be anywhere near as bad as that, but I bought a cheap 850VA UPS and that now triggers a proper shutdown. Well worth the $70 it cost, and as a bonus it keeps my second router up and running too.

Last edited: