Show your new toys Topic

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
New speakers to replace my Logitech Z-5500 set:

Edifier R1280T
(my PC is at the far right on the photo, that thing below my screen is a passive NUC case.

Close-up of the finish. It does look like genuine matte wood with structure.

Vs Logitech Z-5500 satellite speaker.

Connections.

Overall I'm very happy, especially for the price. The sound detail is good, it's quite good at producing low-end which is remarkable for it's price and size. Also, no more subwoofer the size of a color laser printer beneath my desk. I'm yet to play games on them or watch video, but I'm hopeful since these are designed as PC speakers and not bookshelfs.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This wasn't as painful a purchase as my last printer, but it's somewhere at the top:

Mosconi HLA-Dual, 4-channel high-low converter

Also called a line-out converter, meant to make a line-out signal from amplified speaker outputs that factory car radio head units usually exclusively have. My car's head unit does not have a line-out because why spend the few cents on an output right ? Now I need an expensive "adapter" to fix that so I can hook up a good amplifier.

Does it put a limit on my maximum achievable sound quality ? Yes. But it's a lot cheaper than getting a good 7" head unit with GPS, Bluetooth and steering controls that's not a cheaply built Android device with a crappy screen and even worse audio.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This thread is turning into my personal inventory thread :(

Eaton Ellipse Eco 650VA UPS and a Brennenstuhl wattmeter.

I like the "thin" design, easier to hide somewhere.

It can be attached to a server/PC and give a shutdown command. I'm going to use this for my servers and main PC, connect it to my main storage server or ESXi, depending on which I can use to send a shutdown command to the other one.

BTW: those are DIN EU plugs, in Belgium we use "French" plugs with a ground pin instead of side ground contacts. I thought I had ordered the French one, but apparently I ordered the DIN one. No problem, most EU power cables support both. The Brennenstuhl regretably does not, so I'm going to see if I can mod it.

Reactions: Pat-Roner

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Not bad. I know Eaton makes high-end units for industrial and datacenter use, but this looks more like an entry-level unit, does it offer anything over the normal APC's and CyberPower's?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's meant for home and office use, there are much cheaper ones though. This one specifically has a USB connection for shutdown (important) and power usage statistics (handy). Windows recognizes it as a battery without the software installed, after the software install it doesn't anymore. NAS4Free should be compatible what I've read, ESXi is only compatible when there is a plugin available for it (only enterprise level for Eaton).

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My inner nerd is excited:

That 12% load is from my 6-disk NAS4Free system and i3 NUC running ESXi and a few Linux servers. I'll be hooking up my desktop soon. The Windows software is total BS, drivers from 2012 (on Windows 10), after 15 minutes it stopped working because I pulled the USB cable out. Even restarting the service didn't fix it.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I think those pencils will be put to good use ! Your sketches are pieces of art on their own !

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I think those pencils will be put to good use ! Your sketches are pieces of art on their own !

Thanks a lot. I try do to things that are a little different to regular CAD views.

Once I'm out of hospital, I'll have access to my old Wacom for more comfy drawing. Colorizing on the phone kinda hurts passed an hour.

Reactions: Soul_Est

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Finally got one for the MSRP of $260! I found out what's happening though, I had pre-ordered these from Amazon on Wednesday because it showed as being in stock on Friday with an estimated delivery date of Monday. It was Amazon themselves selling the card, at the proper MSRP price. So far, so good.

But... when I checked if they still had stock Thursday out of curiosity they were all gone and now there's a bunch of 3rd party sellers selling cards for $330+ and they all say they won't be able to ship until later this week, early next week. Safely after the Amazon shipments should have arrived... :mad:

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Ridiculous how sellers are abusing the market, but in the end they are just responding to the demand. People buying overpriced products are really to blame.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Adex Electronics is an interesting company, they make lots of neat PCIe extenders but it's run very old-school. Orders are taken over the phone and they actually mailed a receipt, like with an envelope, paper, and stamps :p

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Finally a new lens I'm hoping is good to use as a main lens:

It's one of the sharpest lenses for the Sony E-mount without the need to have "stop" it down. And it's also one of the cheapest lenses to boot.
The Sigma 30mm F/1.4, also very good, was also on my short-list but it was twice as expensive. And I already have 30mm F3.5 macro and a 17-50mm, so I already had 30mm covered twice.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I had that lens awhile ago for my E-M1, it's a great lens. I had it along with the 19 and 30mm DN's. I ended up selling them for the Olympus f/1.8 primes though.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'd love a wide-angle as my next lens, something low profile, fast and sharp. Something like the Samyang 12mm F2.0, but soon they'll be releasing a 14mm F2.8 but that's meant for full-frame instead of APS-C.