Show your new toys Topic

FullForceRainbow

Trash Compacter
May 12, 2016
Finally bought parts for my next SFF PC! I'm trying to get into overclocking more, planning to shunt mod the 1070 and throw an AIO on it for fun (Gamers Nexus has been tempting me :))... after playing around with that some I have to find a case tiny enough to fly with! Does anybody have experience flying with an AIO? I don't know whether I want to risk it XD.

Pelican

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2017
I just got an Alphasmart Neo 2. You can get these for about $50NZD on eBay these days. They are fundamentally a portable word processor which runs on a few AA batteries for hundreds of hours. You write what you want without distraction and then transfer it to PC directly into a text editor.

Sorry the photo is so blurry and poorly lit but you get the idea.

Reactions: Broxin and Kmpkt

nero626

Average Stuffer
Dec 8, 2016
A Man needs a name, always XD. What headphones are those ?

Edit: Are they the $2495 Audeze LCDi4 ? https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcdi4-ear-headphone
Yes they are :)

I didn't buy new though, while I love audio stuff $2000+ is way over my budget haha
I'd been eyeing on the LCD2C for a long time and unfortunately I missed the 20% sale a month ago, and I got these for around $1000 which is still not cheap by any means, I was just happy that I sold most of my AMD stock at 30 that I made this impulse purchase

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Yes they are :)

I didn't buy new though, while I love audio stuff $2000+ is way over my budget haha
I'd been eyeing on the LCD2C for a long time and unfortunately I missed the 20% sale a month ago, and I got these for around $1000 which is still not cheap by any means, I was just happy that I sold most of my AMD stock at 30 that I made this impulse purchase

This is a great price and while not cheap it's probably way more justified than the price Apple asks for the earpods XD.

How do they sound ? While I'm not an IEM guy (it just do not fit my ears), I've been willing to try plannar headphones.

nero626

Average Stuffer
Dec 8, 2016
This is a great price and while not cheap it's probably way more justified than the price Apple asks for the earpods XD.

How do they sound ? While I'm not an IEM guy (it just do not fit my ears), I've been willing to try plannar headphones.
They sound HUGE, they don't sound like IEMs at all, the soundstage and imaging is pretty much on par with any full size open back, super wide and accurate. Audeze actually calls them in ear "headphones" XD

Bass extends flat to 20hz, extremely quick and punchy, a lot of complicated tracks with fast double bass are really hard to get right on IEMs, you either have quick balanced amateur drivers that give you speed, but sound dead and lack impact, or you have dynamic drivers with good punch and volume, but sluggish decay (for small diameter dynamic drivers at least). These give you the best of both world, as someone who loves fast punchy bass planar is the way to go imo

Mids and highs are actually pretty wonky out of the box, tiny weird dips at 4khz and peak at 8khz but Audeze provides you with dll EQ plugin that fixes everything, probably because the driver is so small compared to their full sized planar drivers so it's really hard to tune right, good thing is that they have really low distortion you can EQ the heck out of them, it's not really fair to comment the mids and highs of the stock sound, but after EQ vocals are really natural, not too close or too far, and it has just the right amount of sparkling highs to add air without being fatiguing.

The only thing is that they fit really weird and very different than regular IEMs, I don't usually have problems with IEMs but the ear hook mechanism is not the most comfortable, the hook is parallel to the face of the headphone so the hook is almost squeezing the outer part of your ear against the driver:

I'm trying to 3d print a headband like this to turn them into some sort of "overhead in-ear open-back planar" monstrosity hahaha:
I'll see how it goes

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
A Friend of mine gave me 3 boxes of components that were going to be destroyed.

I now have dozens of meters of rainbow ribbon cables, loads of electronic components (selectors, OPAMPS, capacitors, etc.)

Among that were 8x DC servo motors. They are from ElectroCraft/Reliance Electric, model E240 and sells for around $100 on eBay (sometimes more). They have an encoder attached to their back.

They are quite heavy (4 pounds) and were used in datacenter tape drives from the look of it.

Was wondering if I could use them to make a 3D printer or CNC machine .... Looks like they are up to the task from that video :D

I also got technical books about GPS and satellite communication, right from the ESA library (European Space Agency). Today was a good day.

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Will do - I bought this one as in NZ it sat at the 1050 TI price range but with a reported 55% better perf according to UserBenchmark.

There's a bit of a wattage jump but 50% perf increase is not to be sniffed at - especially when NVIDIA's next model up, the 1060 3GB, at 11% faster than the RX570, comes in at NZ$410 vs the NZ$250 I paid for the 570.

Reactions: TheHig and owliwar