Show your new toys Topic

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Got this little guy for a low price. It's a bit old but still decent for 1080p plus haven't really had a AMD gaming card since the 7950 (and R7 240, I don't think that'll count).

This is going in my custom short case build.

I just saw one of those on my local Craigslist yesterday for $100, I was almost tempted to get it.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I had this Korean cup noodle for lunch today.
https://www.ramennoodlist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/P1030691-1024x977.jpg

Learned the lesson last time and so I only added 1/4 of the bundled hot sauce. Now it's not too hot but the taste is not that 'yummy'.
The taste is just like the previous cup noodle and there is not much 'curry chicken flavour' at all.
But, as usual, I had 2 pieces of fried luncheon meat (aka Spam) and a fried egg (sunny side up) to go with instant noodles. So, those, sort of, save the day for me.:p

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
So who else wants a tiny workshop full of all the mini power tools now?

Sick of Jensen funding his leather jacket collection with new GPUs that are priced more than your Mortgage? Ready to do some wallet voting?
(or just waiting for 7nm.. shhhh)

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
(or just waiting for 7nm.. shhhh)
7nm might come later next year. And I read that by the time 7nm actually makes it to the retail market, 5nm will be just around the corner. And I bet 7nm will not be cheap too. Selling higher performance and more efficient cards but cheaper than the previous generation is rarely the practice of Nvidia (or AMD).

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
RT is interesting tech. Too early and way too expensive for what it is right now IMO. My full recommendation is that people skip 1st gen RTX entirely as we have both stated, and it is widely suggested, that a new process is right around the corner. Unless it crushes at 4k in traditional rendering and one just has to have all the frames. Save that cash for the refresh.

Its PC tech-- there will always be "the next thing rigth around the corner." But its been too long between GPU releases for them. I truly believe the first wave of RTX cards are a stop gap from Nvidia to get something out now. Dropping the Ti on day one speaks volumes to this.

Halo cards from either camp are going to be spendy indeed. Nvidia as the market leader is setting the bar for what the fastest gaming GPU on earth should cost. If AMD releases something that competes on performance they will ask an equivalent price -- I have no doubts about that.

I'm not the target for any of these anyway since I set my GPU budget below half of what the halo card of the day happens to be . Buying used is how I get the champagne with my beer budget. ;)

Reactions: Obelisk

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The issue with installing an OS on a USB stick that's meant for that (FreeNAS, NAS4Free, ESXi, etc.) is that you'll run into the unreliability of bottom-of-the-barrel NAND quality sooner or later. To tackle this I was looking into reliable sticks that aren't "enter-priced" (like HPE's Flash Media Kits) and I came across the reasonably priced Transcend JetFlash 780 that boasted MLC memory, USB 3.1 gen 1 speeds and a 5 year warranty. Then I thought about using two sticks to put into RAID-1. At which point I thought: WHY NOT BOTH ?!

This OCD-approved perfect fit was no accident.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
The issue with installing an OS on a USB stick that's meant for that (FreeNAS, NAS4Free, ESXi, etc.) is that you'll run into the unreliability of bottom-of-the-barrel NAND quality sooner or later. To tackle this I was looking into reliable sticks that aren't "enter-priced" (like HPE's Flash Media Kits) and I came across the reasonably priced Transcend JetFlash 780 that boasted MLC memory, USB 3.1 gen 1 speeds and a 5 year warranty. Then I thought about using two sticks to put into RAID-1. At which point I thought: WHY NOT BOTH ?!

This OCD-approved perfect fit was no accident.

That is very cool, what kind of read speeds do you get?

I looked it up 210 mb/s, not bad. Be really fast in Raid 0.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
No problem for me as these will mainly be used for read-only usage. Also, I've had plenty of sticks claiming speeds that were barely achievable, atleast these overdeliver :)

Reactions: VegetableStu

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If only they made their gaming GPU coolers as focused on performance and quality as these.

Reactions: TheHig