Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
As far as I know, S3 = sleep, S4 = hybernate, S5 = powered off.
The ambulance happens on S3 for me, you can actually connect the usb after it is on sleep mode, but totally not practical for day-to-day usage
S4 and S5 modes I don't need the usb as the noise is quite low and bearable, if you disable usb power in bios you are sorted.
This is just a guess, but it sounds like this is somehow down to the load on the 5VSB rail, and increasing the load by means of connecting the flash drive bringing the coil in question out of the part of its operating range where it's prone to whining.

Still, as with any coil whine, can't it be fixed by identifying the offending coil and gluing it down properly? Superglue around its edges supposedly does the trick.

SanityKlaus

Cable Smoosher
Jul 2, 2020
If this is true Renoir is just a transition:

This would explain why there is no general availability for Renoir desktop APUs, Cezanne (Zen 3) would be the real bet for this year. Taking into account that Desktop APUs are released four or five months after the laptop versions, we could have Cezanne during the first quarter next year.

Last edited:

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
still we are here for a300: i guess renoir will be the last gen am4 cpu supported. if desktop cezanne arrives around q3-q4 next year, that must be only compatible with x300 and its possible successor(s).

for the 4650g video above: ~90w power consumption is measured during load, so this seems to be the apu that fits deskmini the most.

Last edited:

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
still we are here for a300: i guess renoir will be the last gen am4 cpu supported. if desktop cezanne arrives around q3-q4 next year, that must be only compatible with x300 and its possible successor(s).

for the 4650g video above: ~90w power consumption is measured during load, so this seems to be the apu that fits deskmini the most.
I don't think so Cezanne will be a ZEN3 cpu with VEGA Graphics an is the last CPU Class on AM4. This can be compatible with a300 .

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
ok, i finally bought the last 4650g currently available around :p who knows when it will be on stock again, and i doubt prices will go down anytime soon for apus so hard to find. will see whether it's a good time to ditch my 2200g for renoir or a cheaper retail 4600g will come soon enough to regret not being a bit more patient.

so my early questions:
1. which beta bios to use: P3.60N or R? N has no bugs on 4650g but R has bugs on 3400g (both reported here)
2. does anyone know if memory encryption (TSME) could be turned off in a300? on bios P3.60N it seems that no such option is present.
3. what is the correct method of switching the cpu in a300? first bios update to beta, then stabliity test with the old cpu, then removing old amd graphics drivers, installing new cpu, updating amd chipset drivers (update: DON'T DO THIS! see below), installing new amd graphics drivers?

Last edited:

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
ok, i finally bought the last 4650g currently available around :p who knows when it will be on stock again, and i doubt prices will go down anytime soon for apus so hard to find. will see whether it's a good time to ditch my 2200g for renoir or a cheaper retail 4600g will come soon enough to regret not being a bit more patient.

so my early questions:
1. which beta bios to use: P3.60N or R? N has no bugs on 4650g but R has bugs on 3400g (both reported here)
2. does anyone know if memory encryption (TSME) could be turned off in a300? on bios P3.60N it seems that no such option is present.
3. what is the correct method of switching the cpu in a300? first bios update to beta, then stabliity test with the old cpu, then removing old amd graphics drivers, installing new cpu, updating amd chipset drivers, installing new amd graphics drivers?
On my Deskmini the 3.60R bios works fine for me and i have no bugs. Have installed actual chipset and amd driver . Who said, that 3400g have bugs with the R Bios.? I think it has less bugs then N bios on 3400g hmm

Reactions: gustav and rubicoin

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
On my Deskmini the 3.60R bios works fine for me and i have no bugs. Have installed actual chipset and amd driver . Who said, that 3400g have bugs with the R Bios.? I think it has less bugs then N bios on 3400g hmm

Have you look up at CPU Options at advanced `? @rubicoin

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
3400g errors reported by pappl here.

i've just flashed P3.60R. ram stability improves for me, no memtest errors at stock speeds anymore. i hope that renoir will allow me to run my ripjaws 3000 kit @ 3200 mhz without issues.

no sign of tsme though:

Reactions: Phuncz

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
This error i don't have. Is that in the 3.60k bios of it? There you can get in amd pbs and cbs . maybe you can find there it ??? backflash get easy. Have it tested.

3400g errors reported by pappl here.
b
i've just flashed P3.60R. ram stability improves for me, no memtest errors at stock speeds anymore. i hope that renoir will allow me to run my ripjaws 3000 kit @ 3200 mhz without issues.

no sign of tsme though:

paul

Cable Smoosher
Aug 6, 2020
Does anyone have any benchmarks directly comparing a 3400g to a 4600/4650g on an A300 (keeping all other parts the same)? I'm curious as I haven't been able to find an apples to apples comparison on this platform specifically.

Reactions: catawalks

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020

so my early questions:
3. what is the correct method of switching the cpu in a300? first bios update to beta, then stabliity test with the old cpu, then removing old amd graphics drivers, installing new cpu, updating amd chipset drivers, installing new amd graphics drivers?
Hello, first of all glad to hear that. Very interested in further findings. Can provide the ability to compare against 2400G.
Relating your questions:
1: I would go for R, since R>N and R is the newer one. Works great here, at 3200MHz XMP (yes, I've told it often enough :)) - indeed, you seem also to achieve an advantage
2: TSME - never found that one, also the R does not seem to have that.
3: Sounds pretty straight forward, I think by now you have already done that point :)

I can only add to @alles_alles suggestions :)

So, your order is placed and can they tell you already a time window of the arrival?

Last edited:
Reactions: rubicoin

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
Hello, first of all glad to hear that. Very interested in further findings. Can provide the ability to compare against 2400G.
Relating your questions:
1: I would go for R, since R>N and R is the newer one. Works great here, at 3200MHz XMP (yes, I've told it often enough :)) - indeed, you seem also to achieve an advantage
2: TSME - never found that one, also the R does not seem to have that.
3: Sounds pretty straight forward, I think by now you have already done that point :)

I can only add to @alles_alles suggestions :)

So, your order is placed and can they tell you already a time window of the arrival?

ok, thanks, all my questions answered:

1. R was chosen, no issues with 2200g at all, memory stability improved as well. will be ok until a never beta or final bios gets released.
2. also could not find anything related to tsme in bios R, may be implemented in future versions. bunch of new features appeared in N, O and R so it's still possible.
3. this will be the way then, but i'm still waiting for 4650g to arrive (can be today or tomorrow). gonna make a post with my experiences here.

one thing i already know for sure: these pro apus are not retail boxed versions in this region either. seller called me before shipping to tell me they have my 4650g as oem+stock fan package. they did not know it comes that way (must be the first piece they sell) so they also changed description on their webpage from box to oem version. i saw this coming, no fancy printed box but still a full 3y warranty from amd.

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
ok, thanks, all my questions answered:

1. R was chosen, no issues with 2200g at all, memory stability improved as well. will be ok until a never beta or final bios gets released.
2. also could not find anything related to tsme in bios R, may be implemented in future versions. bunch of new features appeared in N, O and R so it's still possible.
3. this will be the way then, but i'm still waiting for 4650g to arrive (can be today or tomorrow). gonna make a post with my experiences here.

one thing i already know for sure: these pro apus are not retail boxed versions in this region either. seller called me before shipping to tell me they have my 4650g as oem+stock fan package. they did not know it comes that way (must be the first piece they sell) so they also changed description on their webpage from box to oem version. i saw this coming, no fancy printed box but still a full 3y warranty from amd.
what is the tsme what is it for a function . And what called it in long? Can you find it in the 3.60K (AGESA 1004b) bios? there is amd cbs and pbs aviable.

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
ok, 4650g arrived. what a real oem packaging :eek: stock cooler is the same p/n as the one in 2200g box (wraith stealth).

already swapped cpus, but a300 will be only assembled later this evening as a little bit of ripjaws aliexpress heatsink mod is pending as well. hope it'll boot :p

Last edited:
Reactions: alles_alles

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
which ram is it `?

F4-3000C16D-16GRS, search for it in this thread, well discussed. same stands for tsme question.

btw i'm mad because i could not try 4650g today, as the updated drivers with a320 packages suggested here completely ruined my windows boot up. inaccessible boot device bosd every time. after sytem restore it boots once but a restart gets to the same bosd again. have to figure out how to remove bad drivers. worst hint ever to apply that package, so my cpu switching method above is false (just edited that post). don't do that part, period. just swap cpu and do nothing, only update if really needed, and still do it wisely :p

other than this issue, in bios all was ok, see photos below:

Last edited:

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
F4-3000C16D-16GRS, search for it in this thread, well discussed.

btw i'm mad because i could not try 4650g today, as the updated drivers with a320 packages suggested here completely ruined my windows boot up. inaccessible boot device bosd every time. after sytem restore it boots once but a restart gets to the same bosd again. have to figure out how to remove bad drivers. worst hint ever to apply that package, so my cpu change method above is completely false, edited my post now. don't do that part, period. just swap cpu and do nothing, only update if really needed. and do it wisely :p
Not every day is a success :) But you did come far, maybe tomorrow it'll do it. But it does POST? And you can successfully jump into UEFI with 4650G built-in?
Now regarding your trouble. You may try following: You may need Windows-Bootstick, so better download the MediaCreationTool.exe from Microsoft, which will burn Windows ISO on an USB Stick. It will be formatted, so you may watch out.
I think the new driver package messed your NVME-/Storage-Controller Drivers. Just to verify, got here the version 10.0.19041.1 from 21.06.2006 by Microsoft. Whatever, you may be able to revert the drivers using the USB Stick, so you won't need to reinstall Windows.
Next question would be a successful boot to the USB Stick, but that one also for later :)
The problem you describing sounds like the problems you had with Windows XP when you swapped your System-HDD into new mobo with other chipset. Maybe it's a leftover of this legacy-bootloop. That's why my suggestion with NVME.
Still, have a nice evening :)

Add2: Check option 3 here: To Use a Command Prompt to Uninstall a Driver - this would be the outcome using USB Bootstick, it you boot from it, recognize your existing Windows Installation (since it will load it's own NVME drivers and such it will be able to read your NVME again) - log into it and the try option 3 on the bad driver. it should remove it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubicoin

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
Not every day is a success :)

yesterday was definetely not, had limited time so could not solve this crazy driver issue. thanks for your input though, after 2+ hours of troubleshooting windows still could not boot. i decided to do a fresh win10 install, everything was flawless as it should. have to set up system from scratch, but till then, see initial cpu-z benchmark comparison (stock ram/fclk speeds and drivers). pretty awesome scores:

update - cinebench scores:

temps (modded NH-L9a-AM4 with 25 mm fan @ standard cpu fan setting in bios):
- idle (win10+chrome): 1200 rpm / 39 °C
- load (cinebench_r20): 2000 rpm / 52 °C

Last edited:
Reactions: gustav

DoM_H

What's an ITX?
New User
Aug 27, 2020
Hello, I have a chance to get Ryzen 5 PRO 3400G for a decent price and I would like to build A300 around it. Is there any issue with the compatibility of the "PRO" model, or it doesn't matter? I plan to go with Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB 3200, L9a, 970 EVO and USB/WiFi expansions from ASrock.