Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

apis29

Cable Smoosher
Jul 31, 2020
Yes a user on the forum part of that site is running the 4650G on the N bios, straight upgrade from a 3400G. ? phew, false alert from 'Tom's hardware'. My A300 has been waiting in it's box for these chips since January ?.

Yes a user on the forum part of that site is running the 4650G on the N bios, straight upgrade from a 3400G. ? phew, false alert from 'Tom's hardware'. My A300 has been waiting in it's box for these chips since January ?.
Igorslab's website I meant ...

smolfactor

Chassis Packer
Apr 16, 2020
There's an interesting image on the asrock website:

Is this the "X300" we saw? cf.

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
There's an interesting image on the asrock website:

Is this the "X300" we saw? cf.

also leaked:

D3NPA

Average Stuffer
Mar 8, 2020
Dimension - 155 x 155 x 80 mm (1.92L)

BIOS available, hmmmm

Reactions: rubicoin

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Blatantly copying myself from the BIOS mod thread:

It's official:

The all-new DeskMini X300 not only supports AMD latest Ryzen 4000 series APU, but also allows users to adjust CPU/GPU core clock, and tuning voltage to excavate APU potential power. DeskMini X300 supports 8 Cores Ryzen 7 APU and dual-Channel DDR4-3200+MHz (OC) memory, which leads to outstanding computing power and 3D performance.
DeskMini X300 is equipped with two Ultra M.2 (2280) slots for PCIe Gen3 high-speed SSDs and two 2.5" SATA 6 Gbps interface for RAID function. Moreover, the DeskMini A300 is able to connect three display outputs simultaneously, which greatly improves the user experiences. It also supports USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-C and M.2 Wi-Fi module, and various accessories within 1.9 Liter compact size.

I'm disappointed that it doesn't have the impressive I/O of the H470 model (USB-C with 60W PD and Alt mode! Imagine powering your Deskmini through your monitor, with a single cable!), but overall this looks very good.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
According to the manual, you need 90W (35W apu) or 120W (65W APU). https://download.asrock.com/Manual/A300M-STX.pdf
Manuals and specs like that always have to take into account every configuration, so in this case a 35W 4750GE + 2 m.2 SSDs + 2 2.5" HDDs. A simpler setup can absolutely run at or below 60W as long as the APU isn't allowed to boost too much.

Besides, what would be the point of having 60W PD on the H470 model if it couldn't be used? It's not like Intel desktop chips are more efficient than AMD ones after all. Quite the opposite.

Reactions: smolfactor

Weekly_Cow

Cable Smoosher
Jul 31, 2020
also leaked:

seems X300 looks almost identical as A300, just the front panel design different ?

smolfactor

Chassis Packer
Apr 16, 2020
After discussing with a colleague, it looks like we won't be getting the chips announced recently as OEM into DIY (e.g. 4750G). That was just journalist speculation and they'll stay OEM only.

So I suppose the real question is if Vermeer will work on the X300. They say on the press release that it supports the 4000 series but on the specification it doesn't mention Vermeer. Can we get some clarification from ASRock that the X300 will support Vermeer on release?

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
Source? ASRock website says BOTH A300 and X300 accepts CPU cooler with MAX Height ≦ 46mm.

It looks like it will be able to accept bigger coolers

Source? I'd be willing to wager a bet there will be 4000 series APU for the DIY for a 10:1 odds. C'mon, do you really think AMD is going to miss out on the substantial DIY market? Sure, we'll probably get them later in Sept or Oct but we'll eventually get them for sure!

After discussing with a colleague, it looks like we won't be getting the chips announced recently as OEM into DIY (e.g. 4750G). That was just journalist speculation and they'll stay OEM only.

Are you seriously expecting ASRock to answer that question NOW? If you're not in a hurry, I can tell you the answer next year. ?

So I suppose the real question is if Vermeer will work on the X300. They say on the press release that it supports the 4000 series but on the specification it doesn't mention Vermeer. Can we get some clarification from ASRock that the X300 will support Vermeer on release?

gazpl

Caliper Novice
Jan 18, 2019
a bit more height on the case, just a few mm to not have to worry about fitting 47mm coolers would have been great. anyone ever thought about a blackridge in this one? would a cutout be needed or is something on the board blocking it anyways?

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
So with X300, Asrock abandon supports for 4000 APU's on A300.

That's a disappointment, I guest I will going for notebook for upgrade than.
After all, this day, notebooks with 4000 series are more powerful than deksmini.

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
a bit more height on the case, just a few mm to not have to worry about fitting 47mm coolers would have been great. anyone ever thought about a blackridge in this one? would a cutout be needed or is something on the board blocking it anyways?

Speaking about CPU coolers for the A300, I really like the design of the ID Cooling IS-47K. They have placed the fan in-between the CPU and the radiator, and this setup is really nice for people who usually place their A300 horizontally on a table (instead of standing vertically). The fan actually blows hot air upwards toward the ceiling, and that is more ideal than stock AMD cooler which blows air downwards toward the CPU.

More pictures/product details at their website:

Photo Credit: https://www.facebook.com/ridwan.fariz
Disclaimer: I do not work for ID cooling and I don't earn commission on their sales.

smolfactor

Chassis Packer
Apr 16, 2020
So with X300, Asrock abandon supports for 4000 APU's on A300.
it makes sense if those recently announced "4000 APUs" (really 3000-series rebrands) are OEM only. So, laptops and the like. 4000 series aka zen3 will come in a few months, or so is the claim. AFAIK.

Now where to buy an X300...

ConsolidatedResults

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
If I read all of this correct, the X300 is basically the A300 board with overclocking unlocked for ~30€ premium (JZ has X300 listed for €170 vs €140 for the A300).

• No new IO. No 2.5G or 10G Ethernet. No additional USB 3 ports. No better read audio out.
  • No new power solution. Still 5 phase power design (according to manual). No 12V header on the board. No stronger power brick. Still no fine-grained DRAM voltage adjustement?
  • No improved case. No better cooler clearance. Reduced airflow from solid front?
  • Still 65W CPU maximum. No support for non-APU CPUs.

So really the only thing this does is make it possible to find out what fails first under OC - The brick, the mosfets or the cooling :/
No effort whatsoever put into this, what a pity.

Reactions: apis29 and gustav

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
Seems reasonable enough for me to pull it's BIOS on the regular A300 -.- If it will return SoC VID on 3.60N

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
it makes sense if those recently announced "4000 APUs" (really 3000-series rebrands) are OEM only. So, laptops and the like. 4000 series aka zen3 will come in a few months, or so is the claim. AFAIK.

Now where to buy an X300...
There's nothing rebranded about the 4000-series APUs. Sure, they are based on the Zen 2 architecture like the 3000-series CPUs, but they are an entirely new silicon design. 3000-series APUs (Picasso) were 14nm Zen+ chips with up to 4 cores and up to 11 Vega CUs at =>1500MHz. 4000-series APUs are 7nm Zen 2 with up to 8 cores and up to 8 Vega CUs at => 2100MHz. 3000-series CPUs are MCMs (multi-chip module) with 1-2 CCDs (compute core die) and an IOD (I/O die) and up to 8/16 cores depending on the number of CCDs. They have no iGPU at all. 4000-series APUs are monolithic chips which integrate a single CCD as part of their design, but with a distinctly different interconnect architecture due to the monolithic die. They are similar (but not identical) in clock-for-clock CPU performance to the 3000-series CPUs, but still have significant underlying differences (a better memory controller supporting faster RAM, decoupled IF clock rates, lower memory latency due to the monolithic die, etc.). They aren't a new architecture like the Zen 3-based 4000-series CPUs will be, but neither are they rebrands in any understanding of the word. Which is, of course why people are eager to get their hands on them due to the massively increased performance compared to the previous generation of APUs.