Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

micky1067

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2020
Hello...

I have a short question.
I have installed Proxmox on Deskmini A300.
Everything runs perfect. I installed a VM with Windows 10 and
like to passthrough the iGPU from the AMD Ryzen 3400g to it.
But I have trouble with config.
Have someone running a passthrough with Proxmox at Deskmini A300 ?
And maybe if yes can tell me the steps and config for it ?

Thanks

micky1067

MavericK96

Case Bender
New User
Jun 5, 2020
I wasn't able to see if this was ever answered, but I seem to get stuttering issues with VLC playing HEVC content, as well as stuttering in YouTube via Chrome. Both of these seem to happen over a period of time, and if I reboot the machine it will be fine for awhile. Anyone discover any tricks for this?

I also occasionally have the "no video" issue that others were describing, but I didn't see a fix for that other than just rebooting the machine.

Running a 3400G with 16 GB of Corsair Dominator DDR4-3000 and Windows 10 Pro.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have installed Proxmox on Deskmini A300. Everything runs perfect. I installed a VM with Windows 10 and like to passthrough the iGPU from the AMD Ryzen 3400g to it. But I have trouble with config. Have someone running a passthrough with Proxmox at Deskmini A300 ? And maybe if yes can tell me the steps and config for it ?
I'm not sure how far you've looked into it but it might be virtually impossible or atleast difficult:

Cold5

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 7, 2020
I wasn't able to see if this was ever answered, but I seem to get stuttering issues with VLC playing HEVC content, as well as stuttering in YouTube via Chrome. Both of these seem to happen over a period of time, and if I reboot the machine it will be fine for awhile. Anyone discover any tricks for this?

I also occasionally have the "no video" issue that others were describing, but I didn't see a fix for that other than just rebooting the machine.

Running a 3400G with 16 GB of Corsair Dominator DDR4-3000 and Windows 10 Pro.

The problem is: Windows 10! GPU driver problem!
You don't need to restart... Use this:
Windows Key + Shift + Ctrl + B

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
x300 might be a new deskmini version aimed for better performance with overclocking possibilities, and asrock could still unlock a300 for renoir apus. viable option for a300 could be 4200g/4400g support only. fingers crossed for more, not less :confused:

Reactions: Curiosity

Sdsff

Cable Smoosher
New User
Nov 21, 2018
Hello...

I have a short question.
I have installed Proxmox on Deskmini A300.
Everything runs perfect. I installed a VM with Windows 10 and
like to passthrough the iGPU from the AMD Ryzen 3400g to it.
But I have trouble with config.
Have someone running a passthrough with Proxmox at Deskmini A300 ?
And maybe if yes can tell me the steps and config for it ?

Thanks

micky1067
wow, what a crazy thing to try! I can't help, but I would be very interested to know if you succeed. Can I ask why you want to do this? Is it for blueiris or gaming? If it's gaming, I would probably just do windows 10 on bare metal or dual boot if you want to play with proxmox a little.

micky1067

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2020
wow, what a crazy thing to try! I can't help, but I would be very interested to know if you succeed. Can I ask why you want to do this? Is it for blueiris or gaming? If it's gaming, I would probably just do windows 10 on bare metal or dual boot if you want to play with proxmox a little.
Sorry for my late answer. The gpu is not using in proxmox. So I thought I use it for a VM. It can be windows10 or Linux . For gamin or for other things like
photo editing. But I found no result to do this. Will be nice someone have a idea.

ssouthall6

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
I've never really got on with this machine which is a shame as I love and hate it at the same time.

I can't get RAM slot 2 working for love nor money. Tried ASrock support, even sent log files...their response is 'return to vendor'....well, I would but Amazon have put the price up by €60 and won't cover the difference!

I also have the flickering screen issue regardless of driver version.

Now I made the mistake of opening the case up again. I must have shorted the pins on the CMOS as straight away I had to put my bitlocker code in. Fortunately it's stored on a yubikey and on a server I can remote desktop into, but now it's asking for it every time and disregards the setting in the UEFI to allow the software to manage it.

Latest is I can't get the screw out of the main M.2 NVME header. Almost at the point of sawing it off!!

3200G is not really performing well on it, I wonder if that's the issue...I'm running much hotter temps lately.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I've never really got on with this machine which is a shame as I love and hate it at the same time.

I can't get RAM slot 2 working for love nor money. Tried ASrock support, even sent log files...their response is 'return to vendor'....well, I would but Amazon have put the price up by €60 and won't cover the difference!

Now I made the mistake of opening the case up again. I must have shorted the pins on the CMOS as straight away I had to put my bitlocker code in. Fortunately it's stored on a yubikey and on a server I can remote desktop into, but now it's asking for it every time and disregards the setting in the UEFI to allow the software to manage it.

Latest is I can't get the screw out of the main M.2 NVME header. Almost at the point of sawing it off!!

3200G is not really performing well on it, I wonder if that's the issue...I'm running much hotter temps lately.
Wait, you received a motherboard with a non-working RAM slot, and you didn't immediately RMA it? I don't mean to sound harsh, but what were you thinking? That is not the kind of error you look at and think "oh well, it might straighten itself out in time". That is more likely than not a faulty solder joint or weak PCB trace. RMA it and get it replaced.

Reactions: rfarmer

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019

If you are outside if the RMA window you may want to try taking everything apart and out of the system and, using a non-conductive surface like a cardboard box, trying putting it back together.

Only once have I had a RAM issue that was caused by a faulty MB. Have you tried switching the modules to verify that it's the ram slot and not the module?

This post brings up so many questions...

If you've verified that it's a MB issue you can always look up a tutorial on how to bake it in the oven to reflow the solder but that's a last resort. I've never had the process work the few times I've tried it

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
If you are outside if the RMA window you may want to try taking everything apart and out of the system and, using a non-conductive surface like a cardboard box, trying putting it back together.

Only once have I had a RAM issue that was caused by a faulty MB. Have you tried switching the modules to verify that it's the ram slot and not the module?

This post brings up so many questions...

If you've verified that it's a MB issue you can always look up a tutorial on how to bake it in the oven to reflow the solder but that's a last resort. I've never had the process work the few times I've tried it
Yeah, baking in the oven is really risky too, conventional ovens don't have nearly the accurate temperature control needed for even halfway reliable reflow work. If you're lucky ithe oven is cooler than indicated and nothing happens, but if you're unlucky it's hotter and suddenly you have SMDs dropping off the back of the board - and then you're really screwed. Of course the temperature in most ovens is also pretty uneven (easily 10-20C difference across a short distance), meaning you can't really know if the oven is too cool, if you put it in a less than ideal spot, etc, etc. It's a gamble at best.

Reactions: ShamedGod

ssouthall6

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
Wait, you received a motherboard with a non-working RAM slot, and you didn't immediately RMA it? I don't mean to sound harsh, but what were you thinking? That is not the kind of error you look at and think "oh well, it might straighten itself out in time". That is more likely than not a faulty solder joint or weak PCB trace. RMA it and get it replaced.

I got a silly deal on Amazon at £130, initially I assumed the RAM issue was an issue with my config so got in touch with ASrock, they asked me to send back to Amazon but Amazon would only refund, not replace, and now want close to £200 and won't refund the difference. I can't afford to be without a PC as I'm using this for work, and Amazon has extended the period for returns, so my rationale was wait for retail to rejuvenate then get another.

I'm used to ASUS and MSI builds so I memtested the the ram, no issues. The problem is odd, one I haven't seen before. I can't even get to the UEFI, the fan starts and the blue light occasionally comes on..I actually thought it may have been an issue with the CPU. I've always found ASUS to be really good with coming back to you, ASRock didn't really want to know, which was a shame. Worse is this bloody NVME drive though, the Chinese cheese screw is done. I've tried the old rubber band trick, no joy. What a mess :D

ssouthall6

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
Reinstalled everything and managed to get the M.2 drive out, added an AX200 to replace my 9260 while I was in there.
Idling around 5 degrees cooler now with the fan on medium, and it's bloody warm in here! I guess the test will be when I open DaVinci Resolve!

Still no joy on the RAM. @ShamedGod yes, I have memtested the sticks, no issues, and both are dual rank, 32gb Crucial sticks that are on the approved list for this processor. Doesn't post with one stick in slot 2.

Now it spins up and tries to boot, then the fan just stops, which it did periodically previously.

I've done a search previously and it seems a common problem with this board.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Reinstalled everything and managed to get the M.2 drive out, added an AX200 to replace my 9260 while I was in there.
Idling around 5 degrees cooler now with the fan on medium, and it's bloody warm in here! I guess the test will be when I open DaVinci Resolve!

Still no joy on the RAM. @ShamedGod yes, I have memtested the sticks, no issues, and both are dual rank, 32gb Crucial sticks that are on the approved list for this processor. Doesn't post with one stick in slot 2.

Now it spins up and tries to boot, then the fan just stops, which it did periodically previously.

I've done a search previously and it seems a common problem with this board.
So the PC boots fine with either of the two sticks in the working slot? And not at all with either stick in the other? And if you boot up with RAM in both slots, what happens then - is all the RAM seen and accessible by the system, and is the system stable? Did you run memtest with both sticks installed?

Booting up with occasional fan spin and "trying" to boot indicates that something fails in RAM training. If either stick works fine in one of the slots, that's a clear indication that the slot itself is bad. There's nothing you as an end user can realistically do about this.

suchende

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 1, 2020
Sorry for my late answer. The gpu is not using in proxmox. So I thought I use it for a VM. It can be windows10 or Linux . For gamin or for other things like
photo editing. But I found no result to do this. Will be nice someone have a idea.
Did you activate the SR-IOV support? (UEFI -> advanced -> Northbrridge configuration) and the IOMMU ? (UEFI -> advanced amd cbs -> northbridge common objects - northbridge configuraion)
However I don't know wether the APU can be used in this way. (watch this https://lunar.computer/posts/gpu-passthrough-proxmox-60/)