Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
@Baldoman @ConsolidatedResults many thanks, friends. I thought I had looked in a failed to find those headers in the manual previously, so I didn't check before asking. But I guess I remembered wrong.

LostEnergy

Caliper Novice
Sep 25, 2019
Just a quick update due to Linux 5.6.0:
Starting with said version NVMe/PCIe/M.2 drives (writing it that way for search engines) will appear as hwmonX entries in sensors listings. This will result in fancontrol.service failing for security reasons, and the automatic (louder) fan control that you've configured in BIOS/UEFI kicking in.

Replace hwmon0 in your /etc/fancontrol by hwmon1 (or hwmon2, or 3…), i. e. change its number on both sides of any = in the file. To see which, run pwmconfig to get a listing, but abort it right away by ctrl+C.

----
My 3–7W idle howto:

The “best” Wifi card, and bent NVMe drives:

Fancontrol settings:

How to detect whether the screen is off (to then start or stop services):

Power savings, tom 2; and my opinion on the Cryorig Cu:

kustode

Cable Smoosher
New User
Apr 4, 2020
Hello Everyone!!!!
Nice finally to find this thread.
I'm starting to create my ASRock A300 but I need a looooooot of help: I think looking in the thread you are the best friends to help me :-)

First of all my goal:
I need to run a series of virtual machines at the same time using VMWARE ESXI in order to always leave them active in my home and reachable from the outside (internet) .
Ideally I should run 9 servers and a pfsense in front.
At the moment I have a laptop where I'm running them simultaneously without any problems. The laptop, however, is a DELL with 64 GB of RAM, 1 TB of ssd and i7 CPU.

I need to replicate this in a home lab and I would like to switch to AMD (because it is less expensive) and therefore I was thinking about the ASROCK AMD.

Ideally I'm thinking to this configuration:
- Case ASRock DESKMINI A300 AMD Ryzen
- Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
- Sabrent Internal SSD 1TB M.2
- PHS-memory 32GB RAM (I found it here: ). It is a single 32 GB module.

Do you think this type of configuration can be fine?

Some more info.
I'd like to have 64 GB of RAM, also because the same environment in my laptop runs at 64 GB. But since this module costs a lot I thought I would buy only one 32 GB for the moment and then, in case, add another. I had some difficulty finding a single 32 GB ram. I usually see in internet shops 2 Ram of 16. I found this one that seems to be specifically tested for the ASROCK A300 and a single module of 32GB

The SSD that I would like to put is at least 1 TB but I have no idea how to choose it. What do you recommend?

The CPU Ryzen 7 3700X I've seen is very powerful and I think the one I'm choosing is fine.

Can you help me in suggesting something/modifying something?
Really appreciate your help!!!!!

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
Non-APU AMD processors don't have integrated graphics, so you're limited to running AMD cpus that end with a G, such as the 2400G, 3400G. @kustode
right. but unless the DELL mentioned above runs a 9th gen i7 with 6 cores then probably it was 4 cores, so the 3400g still might solve the problem. however it is not future proof at all. I would go with some itx config. obviously :D or wait for the new 300 series

kustode

Cable Smoosher
New User
Apr 4, 2020
@Jello , @rokabeka
Thanks a lot for your replies.
Sure I'm not so skilled as you... absolutely not!!! So, please, can you explain me or better suggest me a way to improve my configuration? I still haven't bought anything .
Jello, I was reading the characteristics of the APUs. Can I solve the problem by buying another processor that is APU or I can't use APU cpu it the ASRock A300? What CPU do you recommend in case?
rokabeka, this is my actual laptop:
Dell Precision 7530, Processor Intel i7-8750H 2.20 GHz - 64 GB Ram - OS: Win 10
do you advise me to wait for the new a300 series? What would it be?
I usually tend not to take the latest version because they usually cost too much.

Thanks again!

LostEnergy

Caliper Novice
Sep 25, 2019
Only AMD cpus with G as suffix, i. e. APUs, will run in the A300. We've tried, and there's no hope for any other setup.
I understand you want a VM host (Linux has KVM by the way, you'd connect using “Spice”; more on linux-kvm.org) – the A300 could do but an 3400G is currently the most recent processor with the most threads – and like to have 32 to 64 GB SODIMM. You will find advice on components such as memory (and highest MT/s attained) and SSD in the preceding posts.

Please understand that if we open this thread to any further purchase advice, it'll explode and be off-topic. Create a new thread.

Reactions: Jello

Quango

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 6, 2019
Hello.
I have a small problem with my Deskmini A300. Sometimes, only when I cold start it, it doesn't post. The fan is working, the blue light is on, but the monitor remains in stand by. To start the computer I have to shut it down by pressing the power button and start it again. Usually the second time starts.
Tried about everything reset CMOS, flash again the BIOS, use another power brick, check ram.
Do you have any idea what may be causing the problem?
Thanks.
HDMI 2.0 is very cable spec sensitive. You might try some top spec HDMI 2.0 HDR HDCP 2.2 whatever cable but try checking Amazon experiences first if that cable really does the job. I learnt that the hard way with a June Canyon NUC, which really didn't like to recognize or wake up my monitor with just the next cable at hand.

kustode

Cable Smoosher
New User
Apr 4, 2020
Please understand that if we open this thread to any further purchase advice, it'll explode and be off-topic. Create a new thread.

Yes @LostEnergy I'm agree... Sorry :-)
I was so happy to see a post of the AsRock and I wrote without thinking.
Thanks, I'm opening a new thread. Please help me there :-)

Cheers

Surdoka

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 6, 2020
Hi all
Question about the memory here. I got the A300W last year and bought 3200Mhz ram but with cl of 22 (didn't know this was important). I primarily use this build for playing older games (currently on Tomb Raider 2013), and was wondering how this high cl could be affecting gaming performance. Do you think it's worth it to go 3000MHz 16cl? Thanks!

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Hi all
Question about the memory here. I got the A300W last year and bought 3200Mhz ram but with cl of 22 (didn't know this was important). I primarily use this build for playing older games (currently on Tomb Raider 2013), and was wondering how this high cl could be affecting gaming performance. Do you think it's worth it to go 3000MHz 16cl? Thanks!
Not enough to matter. I am assuming you have the Micron chips. You can up the voltage to 1.35 and increase your frequency to 3333 or 34000. If you're stable that would be the way to go. I wouldn't worry to much about it though. You talking about trying to squeeze an extra 1-3% max at the cost of stability.

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
If I build an A300 with a 3400G, which RAM should I use?
Because the iGPU uses the same ram I would get DDR4-3200. If it's going to be used for light work then you could go 2x4 sticks, but 2 Gigs of ram is going to be reserved for the iGPU so you'd want to go at least 2x8.

RZ2019

Caliper Novice
Jan 30, 2019
Because the iGPU uses the same ram I would get DDR4-3200. If it's going to be used for light work then you could go 2x4 sticks, but 2 Gigs of ram is going to be reserved for the iGPU so you'd want to go at least 2x8.
I really don't know. Mine is with 2400G

Ardwin

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 26, 2020
If you're having trouble with YouTube and other videos in Chrome try installing the HEVC Video Extensions from the Microsoft Store (and enabling hardware acceleration in Chrome if it isn't already enabled). It was a night and day difference for me, videos were a stuttering mess before installing that and perfectly smooth afterwards.

Edit: I didn't test for long enough, I still have the same problems with videos stuttering/freezing in Chrome with hardware acceleration enabled (using a 3400G). I've had to disable hardware acceleration again, unless anyone else has any ideas!

I had this same problem in Chrome with extreme stuttering and during that it also froze the PC. I also have 3400G and the latest BIOS.

But something has been fixed during the last 5 days because today I no longer experience this issue. Things updated: Windows 10 (Windows update 1904, KB4550945) and Chrome. Either one of those fixed it for me. Chrome is version 81.0.4044.122. And AMD Adrenalin 2020 Edition (20.4.2, also worked with 20.4.1).

Trilby

Efficiency Noob
Feb 16, 2020
I had this same problem in Chrome with extreme stuttering and during that it also froze the PC. I also have 3400G and the latest BIOS.

But something has been fixed during the last 5 days because today I no longer experience this issue. Things updated: Windows 10 (Windows update 1904, KB4550945) and Chrome. Either one of those fixed it for me. Chrome is version 81.0.4044.122. And AMD Adrenalin 2020 Edition (20.4.2, also worked with 20.4.1).
Thanks for mentioning it, I've just re-enabled hardware acceleration in Chrome and I agree that videos are playing much more smoothly now!

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Hey folks. I am right now considering my options for building a future arcade cabinet build (not exactly SFF depending on how I go except the board I want will be) and this one-of-a-kind STX board has naturally bubbled to the top of the list. My only concern is support for the Ryzen 7 4700G, upcoming the Zen 2-based, codename “Renoir“ 8-core APU. Recently, AMD has affirmed that upcoming Zen 3 Ryzen 4000 series processors will not be supported officially on 400-series chipsets and older. However, that statement leaves some ambiguity on the table since the 4700G is Zen 2. @ASRock System, will the Ryzen 4000 series APUs be supported on the A300 board? If they will, this board, which is the only STX board in production for AM4, would be the perfect solution for me.

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Hey folks. I am right now considering my options for building a future arcade cabinet build (not exactly SFF depending on how I go except the board I want will be) and this one-of-a-kind STX board has naturally bubbled to the top of the list. My only concern is support for the Ryzen 7 4700G, upcoming the Zen 2-based, codename “Renoir“ 8-core APU. Recently, AMD has affirmed that upcoming Zen 3 Ryzen 4000 series processors will not be supported officially on 400-series chipsets and older. However, that statement leaves some ambiguity on the table since the 4700G is Zen 2. @ASRock System, will the Ryzen 4000 series APUs be supported on the A300 board? If they will, this board, which is the only STX board in production for AM4, would be the perfect solution for me.

There isn't a reason it can't but I would assume the 3400G is the end of APU support until something official is announced.

For an arcade cabinet you're probably better off with a Rasberry Pi 4.