Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
Thanks @ratundtat, I'll take a look at the firmware sources and APU costs
https://shop.jzelectronic.de/news.php?id=1688539560&sw= <-- it is permanent working? #Deskmini #Firmware
Other way. Go to jze website - > click news (on the top) -> AM4 -> SCROLL DOWN "BIOS Downloads Auswahl: -->"
(Do not use version 3.70, because it is just AGESA 1001 <- Ryzen 4xxx (renoir) will not work. #BlackScreen)

In my old A300 (firmware: 3.60S) with Ryzen 3400G is working fine, too. <- so no problem, if you flash earlier

Reactions: Arboreal

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
Someone tested some NVME coolers?
I watched a video clip about nvme M.2 PCIe Gen 5 SSD... with coolers, but temps of 80°C :-/
So what NVME coolers are you using and what is good for Deskmini M.2 NVME Slot 1 and Slot 2?
(it is possible using nvme cooler on the back side, too?)

Perhaps a hint for lil bit (passiv) cooling 2,5" SSDs, too?

Edit:
BeQuiet MC1/Pro M.2 SSD-Cooler

Last edited:

ringwraith

Efficiency Noob
Aug 5, 2023
Hi all. New poster, but have watched this thread over the last 2-3 years that I've had my A300.

Has anyone here tried a 2.5GB NIC mod in the A300?

I ordered a cheap mini pcie 2.5GB card from aliexpress (this one to be exact: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004829561690.html) on the off chance that it might work in the m.2 wifi slot - and it does!

I tried a couple of different OSes quickly and it was recognized in both Windows well as Linux just fine (tried EndeavourOS and Proxmox). Planning to keep the Proxmox on this machine so looking forward to some fun with that. Just need a 2.5GB switch for my network first :D

In addition, this fits in the case perfectly with the only ‘mod’ required bending away of one the small plates covering the opening through which it was fairly easy to screw the jack to. This looks almost as if it was as stock as possible and fully reversible if needed. Super happy with that!

The only downside is that, due to the height of the connecting cables on the 2.5GB board, the NVME slot that is right above the M.2 slot on the A300 cannot be used / is blocked off. Does anyone have a potential solution to this? Is it possible to get an “extension” to the board M2 slot (either for the NVME or for the Wifi) so that one could route one of these connectors away?

Reactions: khanate and dealda

ringwraith

Efficiency Noob
Aug 5, 2023
Can't edit my previous post, but here's a few pics of how I fit the 2.5GB NIC into the M2 wifi slot and the case:

ringwraith

Efficiency Noob
Aug 5, 2023
Further update - this bit bothered me quite a bit as I wanted another NVME in there, so have found a workaround:
The only downside is that, due to the height of the connecting cables on the 2.5GB board, the NVME slot that is right above the M.2 slot on the A300 cannot be used / is blocked off. Does anyone have a potential solution to this? Is it possible to get an “extension” to the board M2 slot (either for the NVME or for the Wifi) so that one could route one of these connectors away?

Bought this cheap £5 extension cable, which allowed me to 'route away' the M.2 adapter (exact link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005443225566.html):

The whole thing fits like this now - although it is pretty tight once the case is closed:

Note that I'm also using an 8mm high heatsink on this NVME and have also taken the opportunity to upgrade the AMD Wraith cooler/fan to the Noctua.

Getting a 2.5GBe switch next month, but until then, this is running very well at gigabit speed (as limited by my current switch).

Side note: If you want to use a Crucial P3 NVME (in either of the slots), you need to install the P3.60S bios. The machine doesn't boot with official BIOSes that are on Asrock website - it remains stuck on black screen / acts dead. Took me a while to figure out that one!

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
I have bought Corsair SSD M.2 PCI-E NVMe Gen4 MP600 PRO XT (pcie4.0) for deskminx300 (frontplate). ok that is not very interesting, but x300 (pcie3.0), so speed test:
$ sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/nvme0n1 <<-- running system device

/dev/nvme0n1:
Timing cached reads: 21546 MB in 2.00 seconds = 10787.86 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 7706 MB in 3.00 seconds = 2568.63 MB/sec

sure not 7000 MB/s, but no 3500 MB/s (maximum for pcie3.0), too!

Additional, i bought a MC1 bequiet! nvme cooler (9,1mm), too. I wanted use the cooler for older nvme on backplate, but between backplate and board are just ~6mm. Is there a cooler important? I do not know, but i seen heat discoloration in form of the nvme on the metal of the Deskmini case.... soooo!?!? A next DeskMini need more place on backside.

Last but not least, AGAIN, i was going frustrate to close deskmini case, because cable for the additionally intern 2x USB2.0 Hub, it is annoying and difficult. ( i had push cable into case behind the cover, too. )

Reactions: Phuncz

g_l

Caliper Novice
May 20, 2021
I layered a few thin thermal pads to thermally bond the bottom NVME to the tray. not sure how much it helps, but seemed a good idea.

king_ben

Efficiency Noob
Oct 29, 2023
Already done. Problem occurred even with elementary, manjaro, Windows 10. for further detail if I plug a wifi mouse the system freeze or if I boot via the 2 new usb 2.0 port I've bought it will hung. I'm on p3.60h bios. Need to back to 3.60?

I have a similar issue. I bought a used A300 w/ Athlon 200GE, 16GB RAM and the side USB connectors. As soon as I have a USB memory stick in the side port, the Deskmini will no longer boot. It won't even go to BIOS (3.60S). A Zigbee USB dongle is no issue... Did you ever resolve this?

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I have a similar issue. I bought a used A300 w/ Athlon 200GE, 16GB RAM and the side USB connectors. As soon as I have a USB memory stick in the side port, the Deskmini will no longer boot. It won't even go to BIOS (3.60S). A Zigbee USB dongle is no issue... Did you ever resolve this?
WTF that's... not right at all

Reactions: king_ben

ringwraith

Efficiency Noob
Aug 5, 2023
Getting a 2.5GBe switch next month, but until then, this is running very well at gigabit speed (as limited by my current switch).
Just a further update to my 2.5GB NIC inserted into the M.2 Wifi slot as I now got a 2.5GB switch and was able to benchmark it with iperf3:

I get full 2.37 gbps up, but am only able to get c.1.6 gbps down from it. There's definitely some limitation with this wifi port - I tried two separate (but same Realtek chip model otherwise) 2.5GB NICs to rule out hardware defect in the NIC and they are both limited to 2.37 up / 1.6 down in this port, but when put inside another machine (HP G3 800 mini) both work at full 2.37 up/down (& using the same CAT cable of course). I did the tests using the same static Debian 12 live boot ISO usb to rule out software/OS issues as well. Further tests using Windows and Proxmox proved the same too.

If anyone has any ideas on how to 'unlock' the full speed in the M.2 wifi or has an idea on what the hardware limitation could be that limits the download speed from this board, I'm all ears :)

PS: I got a slightly different version of the NIC with 'flat' connection cable, so this now the chip fits right underneath the NVME, no extension cord necessary :)

Reactions: Ziyan and SFFMunkee

Ohmster

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2020
Hello together, I'm following here since a few years now. The last time I got a few hints regrading RAM Upgrade. My a300 has been working flawlessly with Ryzen 2200g and 16 GB RAM on 2933 MHz. Since a few days my computer is not starting now. If pressing the power button, the fan is not starting and the PC not even starting.
I am able to charge my phone by USB C Port, so I think the power supply is fine.
A blue light was appearing inside the motherboard once when connecting the power cable, but afterwards nothing...
Now this blue LED is not appearing anymore, when pressing start button or connecting power cable.

Did any of you guys face the same problem or have any idea, what could be the issue or be done?
Unfortunately I do not recall my bios version.

I read something about Clear CMOS when researching, might that help?

Thanks for your ideas, I would like to continue to use the A300 somehow.

Last edited:

Ohmster

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2020
Hello together, I'm following here since a few years now. The last time I got a few hints regrading RAM Upgrade. My a300 has been working flawlessly with Ryzen 2200g and 16 GB RAM on 2933 MHz. Since a few days my computer is not starting now. If pressing the power button, the fan is not starting and the PC not even starting.
I am able to charge my phone by USB C Port, so I think the power supply is fine.
A blue light was appearing inside the motherboard once when connecting the power cable, but afterwards nothing...
Now this blue LED is not appearing anymore, when pressing start button or connecting power cable.

Did any of you guys face the same problem or have any idea, what could be the issue or be done?
Unfortunately I do not recall my bios version.

I read something about Clear CMOS when researching, might that help?

Thanks for your ideas, I would like to continue to use the A300 somehow.
I cleaned the PC and repasted the CPU. Checked the connection of all Wires. After connecting with power cable there was a little sparkle when reconnecting the power cable. Still nothing when pressing the power button. Phone still charging on USB Port. Hoping for some ideas here.

Might try clear CMOS and checking RAM.

volt

Efficiency Noob
Nov 19, 2023
Hello guys. I got used system for a very good price, it has 3400g, 1x16gb of ram since the seller told me one slot is dead, i don't mind it.

The bios version is P3.50, 5/15/2019 which seems very outdated. Does anyone have link to download files so i can flash my bios.

And please tell me which bios is like "sweet" spot from your guys experience, because i might upgrade cpu later if i need so i can utilize.

Looking forward for your guys answers, i will appreciate it!

volt

Efficiency Noob
Nov 19, 2023
Because i am out of loop, looking to get in loop with what is currently the most stable / feature rich bios version which also supports newer/better cpus.

I saw someone mentioned some bios versions use older version of microcode and that then causes last cpus not to work, because they want to sell X300 otherwise people will just use A300. Something like that. Anyways, feel free to loop me in.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Because i am out of loop, looking to get in loop with what is currently the most stable / feature rich bios version which also supports newer/better cpus.

I saw someone mentioned some bios versions use older version of microcode and that then causes last cpus not to work, because they want to sell X300 otherwise people will just use A300. Something like that. Anyways, feel free to loop me in.
Welcome to the Desmini discussion. Aalso have an A300 with 3400G. Somewhere in this 100+ page thread there is mention of a particular singlr BIOS hat will allow you to use 4xx0G APUs, but it is a beta Bios from memory and tricky to get.

I am interested in investigating this option, but have other priorities at the moment. Sadly, the 4th and 5th gen APs don't add much to the GPU ability over the 3rd generation.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I cleaned the PC and repasted the CPU. Checked the connection of all Wires. After connecting with power cable there was a little sparkle when reconnecting the power cable. Still nothing when pressing the power button. Phone still charging on USB Port. Hoping for some ideas here.

Might try clear CMOS and checking RAM.
Did you have any luck resurrecting your DeskMini? You may have inadvertently popped the diode that provides reverse-polarity and transient voltage protection. Have a look near the DC input jack at the component labelled PTV. I popped mine by accident when I was messing with a different PSU and accidentally reversed the +/- pins, but it now works fine after removing that component (although obviously without the protection now).

Have a look at yours and see if it's intact or burned, if the latter, try desoldering it (carefully) - don't short the pins though, just leave it disconnected.

Welcome to the Desmini discussion. Aalso have an A300 with 3400G. Somewhere in this 100+ page thread there is mention of a particular singlr BIOS hat will allow you to use 4xx0G APUs, but it is a beta Bios from memory and tricky to get.

I am interested in investigating this option, but have other priorities at the moment. Sadly, the 4th and 5th gen APs don't add much to the GPU ability over the 3rd generation.
Completely agree, the main benefit of 4000G/5000G is in the single and multi-thread performance, definitely not the GPU itself - there you'll see only a marginal benefit.
I've now got... 3200G, 4650G, 5600G so when I can be arsed I'll do some benchmarks to show the exact difference in my X300

::EDIT:: The biggest benefit you can give your iGPU is faster RAM -- mine is running at 4000/22/20/20

Reactions: Arboreal

volt

Efficiency Noob
Nov 19, 2023

Hey, so from spending few hours of reading i came to conclusion and flashed to 3.60U, there is also option to flash some bioses from 300x but it's riskier.
When i get chance i will test 4750G maybe.. or some 6core..

Ohmster

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2020
Did you have any luck resurrecting your DeskMini? You may have inadvertently popped the diode that provides reverse-polarity and transient voltage protection. Have a look near the DC input jack at the component labelled PTV. I popped mine by accident when I was messing with a different PSU and accidentally reversed the +/- pins, but it now works fine after removing that component (although obviously without the protection now).

Have a look at yours and see if it's intact or burned, if the latter, try desoldering it (carefully) - don't short the pins though, just leave it disconnected.

Hello SFFMunkee thanks for your reply. Unfortunately not It just blacked out from one day to another, not while using it.

The PTV part seems intact if I can judge that.I will attach a foto. I did not change anything before the black out.
I ordered a jumper for CLR CMOS and a new PSU/Power supply, I am a bit discouraged. Should arrive the next days. Tried removing RAM only using single RAM