"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

ababa

Average Stuffer
Oct 29, 2019
Hey guys, what do you think about IKBC C87, one of cheapest TKL with MX Cherry Silent
PBT, no LEDs (thanks god yes!), sleek, simple
Only cons i ve seen its stab noises, especially from spacebar
Does it affect all units?
Any other alternatives (TKL, mx switch silent)?
I wanted FC750R at first but i couldn't find it in EUR ;(
(no ISO, i am ansi boi lol)
Thanks

admirerden

Cable Smoosher
Apr 4, 2019
My beauty. I wish I could get Cherry MX Reds Low Profile…

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
A bit OT, but isn't having your monitor that close to the desk terrible for your neck and shoulders?

It's not OT and NO it ain't terrible. My wife's a labour nurse and she enforced taught me how to set my workspace up. Your eyes MUST be at the same height as or above the top of your screen and the screen should be slightly tilted.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
It's not OT and NO it ain't terrible. My wife's a labour nurse and she enforced taught me how to set my workspace up. Your eyes MUST be at the same height as or above the top of your screen and the screen should be slightly tilted.

That is exactly what I based my question on - I've had quite a lot of neck and shoulder issues, so I'm well versed in desk ergonomics. Unless that monitor is very tall (looks like it's around 27-30", or am I underestimating that?) or you have extremely short upper arms, that looks way too close to the desk for me. You're right that the eyes should be in line with or slightly above the top of the monitor, but that looks way too far above the top for me, at least for keeping the desired 90-degree elbow angle. Also, I take it you pushed your mouse and keyboard closer to the monitor for that photo? Otherwise there's no way you're sitting an arm's length away from the monitor with 90-degree elbows while typing.

Edit: suddenly realized I wasn't replying to the same person I first did, and now this post looks rather confusing. Oh well :p

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

I just want to add that, no matter the design of your workspace, don't forget to stand up & stretch from time to time :)

Reactions: Valantar

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
That is exactly what I based my question on - I've had quite a lot of neck and shoulder issues, so I'm well versed in desk ergonomics. Unless that monitor is very tall (looks like it's around 27-30", or am I underestimating that?) or you have extremely short upper arms, that looks way too close to the desk for me. You're right that the eyes should be in line with or slightly above the top of the monitor, but that looks way too far above the top for me, at least for keeping the desired 90-degree elbow angle. Also, I take it you pushed your mouse and keyboard closer to the monitor for that photo? Otherwise there's no way you're sitting an arm's length away from the monitor with 90-degree elbows while typing.

NFI, I have a similar looking screen that is 25" (Asus PB258Q) but my keyboard and trackball are close to the desk edge to prevent disaster. I suffer from a beginning of CTS in both hands and I try to not make it worse. I also suffer from a synovial cyst caused by very bad ergonomics, hours in traffic jams and repetitive movements at my previous job. It's pressing against 2 of my left hand finger extensors and makes stuff like holding a phone a nightmare (CTS doesn't help there either).

Ergonomics is not something to take lightly.

Reactions: Valantar

admirerden

Cable Smoosher
Apr 4, 2019
A bit OT, but isn't having your monitor that close to the desk terrible for your neck and shoulders?
This is exactly the most comfortable position for me. My neck and shoulders are resting in that position. (I also have a very low-sitted chair, btw.)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This is exactly the most comfortable position for me. My neck and shoulders are resting in that position. (I also have a very low-sitted chair, btw.)
That makes it sound like your arms are on a less than ideal position - as the illustration above shows, your shoulders should be in anneutral position with your elbows at 90° angles, otherwise you could easily start experiencing neck and shoulder pain. Resting your arms too high forces your elbows out and your shoulders up, which is not good for posture, joints or tendons. Wide elbows also increase twisting strain on the wrists. I get that it might feel comfortable today, but it's not the best for your body long-term.

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
TLDR: Looking for recommendations for a 60-65% keyboard, either kit or assembled, that is fully (or mostly) programmable.

With the pandemic and working from home from mid March to end of June, I got very used to my current mechanical keyboard (Drevo Calibur, brown switches). When I came back to work and started typing on a regular keyboard, I almost threw up (strictly hyperbole here lol). I like the basic layout of the Calibur with the dedicated arrow keys, but it could be a little more compact. With what I do semi-regularly, things I would need to have are a dedicated tilde key and dedicated arrow keys. So with most boards having the tilde as a second function of the Esc key, that is something I want to avoid (with the Drevo, it led to many frustrating mistypes). I have looked and seen a few, and obviously doing a kit is something that can get pretty expensive, but I am not entirely opposed to it. I like the brown switches on my current board, so anything similar would be good. This is the kind of format I prefer:
Any input or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
TLDR: Looking for recommendations for a 60-65% keyboard, either kit or assembled, that is fully (or mostly) programmable.

With the pandemic and working from home from mid March to end of June, I got very used to my current mechanical keyboard (Drevo Calibur, brown switches). When I came back to work and started typing on a regular keyboard, I almost threw up (strictly hyperbole here lol). I like the basic layout of the Calibur with the dedicated arrow keys, but it could be a little more compact. With what I do semi-regularly, things I would need to have are a dedicated tilde key and dedicated arrow keys. So with most boards having the tilde as a second function of the Esc key, that is something I want to avoid (with the Drevo, it led to many frustrating mistypes). I have looked and seen a few, and obviously doing a kit is something that can get pretty expensive, but I am not entirely opposed to it. I like the brown switches on my current board, so anything similar would be good. This is the kind of format I prefer:
Any input or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

For a budget 65%, my default suggestion are Tada68 or DZ65 RGB hotswap. You can get them at KBDFans or AliExpress.

I like 75%, so I go with Keycool 84 hotswap, 2020 edition.

Reactions: Phuncz

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
For a budget 65%, my default suggestion are Tada68 or DZ65 RGB hotswap. You can get them at KBDFans or AliExpress.

I like 75%, so I go with Keycool 84 hotswap, 2020 edition.

Hmm I can't seem to find a Tada68 board anywhere. I did find a set of keycaps that I'm in love with, but it's a standard 104 key set so it wouldn't work with a 65% layout with the right shift key. Where do you get your keycaps from? Any special place in particular? I've looked at a lot of places, but wanted to know of any other sites. Thanks

Also: what are thoughts on GK64s keyboards/pcbs?

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Tada68 is a VERY old kit, KBDFans has since moved onto a better PCB for that kit. You'll find it these days as the DZ65 in KBDFans. It's generally got decent availability (the base kit comes with a cheap plastic case). You could also try having a look at a Tofu65, that's also a pretty decent beginner's kit. Assuming you don't mind building it yourself, I'd start with those (or a KBD75 if you want dedicated tilde key on the base layer, but these boards being fully programmable, that's not really an issue, you can have ANY key be the tilde key if you please, even have it on a different tap/hold behaviour on another key)

Do not get a GK64 if you want to go into custom keycaps later on, if you want arrow keys, that board will use non-standard caps in the arrow cluster area.

If you just want to buy a board without bothering about building it yourself, maybe have a look at the Vortex Race 3 or the newer Vortex Tab 75, they are both pretty affordable and not a bad start for a beginner (though being a bit of a keyboard snob myself, I don't really consider any off-the-shelf board to be a good option)

Reactions: ignsvn

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
As a "keyboard snob" where do you get your keycaps? And is lubing switches necessary or just another step to do if you want?