"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Bringing this back from the dead. I'm looking into getting a new keyboard. All I've ever known was inexpensive membrane keyboards the last 20 or so years that were the full 104+ key layout. I have no idea which way to go. I've looked at 104, TKL, 87, 82, 72, 60%, you name it. Mechanical keyboards interest me to a degree, and I think I'm open to a less than full keyboard, but if I do that I'd like the numpad as a secondary function (FN+ whatever) as I hardly ever use the numbers at the top. There are so many options I have no idea which way to really go. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money either. So any guidance would be appreciated. I've also read this entire thread, and learned a ton, but that's led to more questions than answers lol. Thanks

I'd try an MX brown board.

Do you need it to be backlit? What's your budget?

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
Yeah I've looked into that, but spending $9-$16 bucks seems a bit odd to me. I've been pretty adept at adapting to the keyboards I've used. My budget is kind of fluid. I'd like to spend >$80 if possible but I'm realistic in that I may have to spend more for something with better quality. I would just have to be really happy with it. Which circles back to the key tester making me think that it would be better to get it. I would also very much like backlighting. And from everything I've read, mx browns was what I was leaning towards.
I'd try an MX brown board.

Do you need it to be backlit? What's your budget?

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Yeah I've looked into that, but spending $9-$16 bucks seems a bit odd to me. I've been pretty adept at adapting to the keyboards I've used. My budget is kind of fluid. I'd like to spend >$80 if possible but I'm realistic in that I may have to spend more for something with better quality. I would just have to be really happy with it. Which circles back to the key tester making me think that it would be better to get it. I would also very much like backlighting. And from everything I've read, mx browns was what I was leaning towards.
When I was getting a keyboard, I got a kit with MX Clears (more tactile MX Browns), and then I hated them. I realized I loved clicky switches or jailhoused switches.

Reactions: Biowarejak

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
I second the suggestion to pick up a switch tester. It'll have an array of switches that you can try out, because the different switches feel physically different. Spending $10-$15 on it might save you from the potential hassle of picking an expensive keyboard (mine cost me $130) only to not like it and have to return it.

Once you know which switches you like, you can look for keyboards that fit your needs which also have those switches.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
been swiping through some DIY keyboards and they're mostly arduino-based. are there any basic ICs that you can plug switches and a USB receptacle to directly? or am I going this the wrong way? ._.

(also looking out for Kailh Low Profile switch bundle sales ._. and maaaaaaybe the PCB to go with it ._. )

Reactions: Soul_Est

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
Would a 4 switch tester be enough or do you all recommend 6+ testers? There's a 4 switch one on Amazon for $9 that has the basic blue, red, brown, black combo with o rings.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
Would a 4 switch tester be enough or do you all recommend 6+ testers? There's a 4 switch one on Amazon for $9 that has the basic blue, red, brown, black combo with o rings.
Yeah, a 4-switch option seems fine, it's more about having a good feeling for what some switches feel like because most mechanical switches are variations on those four. I used my 6-switch tester as comparison when I asked others how they'd describe their switches relative to the 6 switches I had.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
been swiping through some DIY keyboards and they're mostly arduino-based. are there any basic ICs that you can plug switches and a USB receptacle to directly? or am I going this the wrong way? ._.

(also looking out for Kailh Low Profile switch bundle sales ._. and maaaaaaybe the PCB to go with it ._. )
I'm not understanding what you're asking? Are you talking about a Teensy and handwriting?

D

DelUser6216

I'm not understanding what you're asking? Are you talking about a Teensy and handwriting?

Teensy and soldering talk turns me on, to make a laptop keyboard to usb internal header would be a great low profile solution for all-in-one suitcase PCs like what PhilAirFlow is working on, but it's too hardcore.

It's the choice of being wit enough to solder ANY laptop keyboard which is so compelling, unless it's crap fragile like the Macbook Pro. Well, you could still use a very small wireless keyboard with eternally-plugged in micro usb but where's the fun in that.

Last edited by a moderator:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
sorry, my articulation needs work ,_,

i'm coming from the curiosity of looking to some non-DIY keyboard teardowns, and most of the simple ones just come with an IC (and a few resistors for some reason)

so that got me thinking about what's the "fewest parts possible not counting switches" way to build a keyboard

although the teensy sounds promising actually. I'm looking to integrate a scrollwheel or two in my keyboard or make it standalone

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
sorry, my articulation needs work ,_,

i'm coming from the curiosity of looking to some non-DIY keyboard teardowns, and most of the simple ones just come with an IC (and a few resistors for some reason)

so that got me thinking about what's the "fewest parts possible not counting switches" way to build a keyboard

although the teensy sounds promising actually. I'm looking to integrate a scrollwheel or two in my keyboard or make it standalone
I would say a Teensy 2.0 with diodes on each switch and hand wired would be the fewest parts. Also, look into QMK. qmk.fm

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

There aren't many keyboard PCBs that natively support switch hot-swapping so you either have to use Holtite Socketsin pre-existing PCB or buy PCBs that have that hardware built-in such as the OLKB Planck (Rev 6)

Reactions: VegetableStu

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Personally, I really like the ALT over on Massdrop - but I've of course not gotten my hands on it yet. Retaining the arrow keys on a slightly over 65% layout, functions are accessible through the numeral row, and the switches can be swapped because they're socketed. Also has tons of RGB, a heckin-gorgeous aluminum frame, and double-shot PBT keycaps. And of course, it's fully programmable for macros and such.

So at the very least, it sounds nice :)

Reactions: HeroXLazer

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Personally, I really like the ALT over on Massdrop - but I've of course not gotten my hands on it yet. Retaining the arrow keys on a slightly over 65% layout, functions are accessible through the numeral row, and the switches can be swapped because they're socketed. Also has tons of RGB, a heckin-gorgeous aluminum frame, and double-shot PBT keycaps. And of course, it's fully programmable for macros and such.

So at the very least, it sounds nice :)
Yeah, the ALT looks great, the CTRL is also pretty great. The only problem is that it's exclusive to MassDrop.

Reactions: Biowarejak

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
I recommend doing the following.
1) switches - get a switch tested
2) layout - use autohotkey to reprogram a smaller layout. Look up pok3rahk for running a poker style layout (60%) on a full size keyboard.

After these two steps are done, you can easily decide U want a [blie/brown/red/black] [104/TKL/60]