SFF Forum design

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
This forum is using a black/dark background with white fonts. I wonder how many of the members who visit here regularly like this kind of contrast (as opposed to having a white background with black fonts).

I wish to know if I belong to the majority or the minority. I, speaking for myself, much prefer white background/black fonts. Maybe because my eyes are not that good, reading posts/typing new threads or replies in the current design is not too comfortable. Maybe if there is enough of similar minded, we can petition to change this design? Or maybe, it is just me alone?

(PS Hardforum is even worst as the contrast/brightness is worst. I really avoid going there.)

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The colour scheme here is part of our branding - It's seen on our front page, our merch, our staff shirts and our business cards. It's a colour scheme we've been running for two years now :)

If we get enough interest, we could offer a second theme choice, but the dark background will always be default.

Reactions: cmyk78

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
The colour scheme here is part of our branding - It's seen on our front page, our merch, our staff shirts and our business cards. It's a colour scheme we've been running for two years now :)

If we get enough interest, we could offer a second theme choice, but the dark background will always be default.
In the meantime, I am using Firefox's No Style to view a page in a raw style in this forum to bypass all page styling. A compromise.

Hardforum does have a light theme you can switch to at the bottom of the page.
Thanks!
I do find that switch. But somehow it is not showing any visual difference between the Dark and the Light theme. Clicking into each just shows the same black background + white fonts. Looks exactly the same to me (using Firefox. Checked with IE and still both look the same.) What gives?

nick_w

Caliper Novice
Jun 13, 2017
Im the opposite I use the stylus addon to make every website dark you can use it to write a style that makes sffforum white
i just tried it using this:
{
background: #fff !important;
color: #000 !important;
}
it keeps the styling and makes the text black and everything else white

Reactions: tinyitx

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I do find that switch. But somehow it is not showing any visual difference between the Dark and the Light theme. Clicking into each just shows the same black background + white fonts. Looks exactly the same to me (using Firefox. Checked with IE and still both look the same.) What gives?
Seems you need to be logged in for it to work.

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Im the opposite I use the stylus addon to make every website dark you can use it to write a style that makes sffforum white
Good suggestion. Unfortunately, my version of FF (Quantum) does not support this addon.
Do you know any other similar addon?

Seems you need to be logged in for it to work.
Ok, I see.

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Sep 5, 2015
Though I don't have any problems reading posts with the current colours, I generally prefer black font on light background. The main reason is that with current colours when I look away to another tab I notice some image retention on my retina (ghosting effect from the white letters). This always happens if I stare for a some time at white letters on black background.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I used to code for web for a few years, mostly jquery and css so I was always moving between dark background and white code to photoshop to check dimmensions. all adobe products have the same dark gray bacground and white letters so I found this forum to be quite confortable in so many levels

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
I'm a big fan of tastefully done dark themes as well. I keep the lights dim in my office and regularly browse forums in bed after the lights have gone out, so I prefer not having my monitors/devices blasting bright light at my eyes. This forum has enough contrast for me and makes use of color in sane ways to draw attention towards things that makes sense, but I can see why it wouldn't be everyone's preference, particularly those that prefer greater contrast.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
speaking of contrast, I realized that its not just taste that we are talking here, its also about accessibility as well
if dark background white letters is to harsh on some people eyes maybe a seccond theme should really be an option
(not white per see, but maybe beige and dark gray? I mean we can still be classy)