Log SFF build FINALLY complete - 3+ months in...

brosephStalin

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2020
First SFF build, first custom loop, first RGB...a lot of firsts for me. And it went...slowly. Parts were not available, something came broken, didn't fit, wasn't compatible, needed to order something I didn't realize I needed...etc. It's not perfect by any means, but I'm happy the way it turned out! Once they release a water block for the 3070 FE, I'll be looping that in.

Case: SM570 (I drilled the holes in the acrylic at the PSU - lots of critiques & easy changes about this case they could make to improve it, but happy overall)
CPU: i7-10700K
RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra z490i
PSU: Corsair SF750
GPU: RTX 3070 FE
Fans: CoolerMaster MF120s
Other: 1x EK SE240 radiator, 1x XSPC slim 120 radiator, 1 coolant temp sensor, 1 case temp sensor, Commander Pro (still not working...grrr), lots of fittings ($300 worth), PETG tubing by bitspower, flow indicator, EK DDC pump, Alphacool reservoir, EK cloud white coolant additive, special 3D printed feet so I could fit case fans on the bottom side...

The only games I've tested so far are MS Flight Sim 2020 & Warzone (GPU 74deg, CPU 58deg / GPU 74deg, CPU 60).

More Pics HERE

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyitx and Tuscany
D

Deleted member 23607

If it’s not a bother, do you mind elaborating on what could be improved with the case? Just wondering.

brosephStalin

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2020
If it’s not a bother, do you mind elaborating on what could be improved with the case? Just wondering.
Yeah for sure.

1. For starters, if they made it 5mm longer (I'd rather 10mm), it would be SO MUCH easier to build in. I had to special order different fittings to get the reservoir to fit, among many things that wouldn't fit. I know it's not made for liquid cooling reservoir, but...
  2. Also, some motherboards have headers that face the power supply, which means there is not enough room to plug into & bend the cables around. Example: I'm not using my USB 2.0 headers for this reason & had to buy an extra adapter cable to hook up my Commander pro to an external USB 2.0 port. It's not working at the moment, so there that (this could be an issue w/the CPro or the adapter cable). Just make it 1cm longer & it'd fix both those issues.
  3. Also, some of the metal support / spine parts have 90 degree bends that don't need them for structural support, but make it harder to mount or route components around, giving less clearance.
  4. There are no options with the acrylic side panels to have cutouts for the PSU fan or other, which I think would be great to have if you needed better airflow.
  5. The support spine could be modified to not have a cross-member at the bottom, and instead use angled supports, to give more room for cable management & fitting stuff underneath. I likely could've thrown in more radiator & the pump I wanted on top of it if this was the case.
  6. The side panels are a bit difficult to get off. It would have a much easier / more premium feeling if they were held on by magnets like some other cases.
  7. Not a case issues, but it would be cool if they offered taller feet as an option if you wanted to do what I did & put fans underneath.
  8. The only radiators that fit in the bottom w/out disassembling them are the xspc ultra-thin, and they are very hard to find. Another 5mm space would solve that issue.
I probably should've used an SM580, but it's the same length I believe. In the end, I made it work but it took LOTS of hours of research & trial & error. I'm happy with the size on my desk & the build quality Sliger brings. Maybe I'm just being picky.

D

Deleted member 23607

Yeah for sure.

1. For starters, if they made it 5mm longer (I'd rather 10mm), it would be SO MUCH easier to build in. I had to special order different fittings to get the reservoir to fit, among many things that wouldn't fit. I know it's not made for liquid cooling reservoir, but...
  2. Also, some motherboards have headers that face the power supply, which means there is not enough room to plug into & bend the cables around. Example: I'm not using my USB 2.0 headers for this reason & had to buy an extra adapter cable to hook up my Commander pro to an external USB 2.0 port. It's not working at the moment, so there that (this could be an issue w/the CPro or the adapter cable). Just make it 1cm longer & it'd fix both those issues.
  3. Also, some of the metal support / spine parts have 90 degree bends that don't need them for structural support, but make it harder to mount or route components around, giving less clearance.
  4. There are no options with the acrylic side panels to have cutouts for the PSU fan or other, which I think would be great to have if you needed better airflow.
  5. The support spine could be modified to not have a cross-member at the bottom, and instead use angled supports, to give more room for cable management & fitting stuff underneath. I likely could've thrown in more radiator & the pump I wanted on top of it if this was the case.
  6. The side panels are a bit difficult to get off. It would have a much easier / more premium feeling if they were held on by magnets like some other cases.
  7. Not a case issues, but it would be cool if they offered taller feet as an option if you wanted to do what I did & put fans underneath.
  8. The only radiators that fit in the bottom w/out disassembling them are the xspc ultra-thin, and they are very hard to find. Another 5mm space would solve that issue.
I probably should've used an SM580, but it's the same length I believe. In the end, I made it work but it took LOTS of hours of research & trial & error. I'm happy with the size on my desk & the build quality Sliger brings. Maybe I'm just being picky.

I see. It's amazing how an extra 10mm would do wonders.
The PSU cutout is a good point too, you could contact @KSliger on that.

Reactions: brosephStalin

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The only games I've tested so far are MS Flight Sim 2020 & Warzone (GPU 74deg, CPU 58deg / GPU 74deg, CPU 60).
I have a similar spec system (10700K + 3070 + 32GB RAM) which will play FS2020.
Would you mind elaborate on your gaming experience please?
What resolution do you play at?
Overall game settings (Ultra, High or Medium)?
Framerate over city and over general terrain?
If you have a scenery addon for a specific city, which one and its impact on framerate?
TIA

Last edited:

brosephStalin

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2020
I have a similar spec system (10700K + 3070 + 32GB RAM) which will play FS2020.
Would you mind elaborate on your gaming experience please?
What resolution do you play at?
Overall game settings (Ultra, High or Medium)?
Framerate over city and over general terrain?
If you have a scenery addon for a specific city, which one and its impact on framerate?
TIA

Honestly haven't played it much, but:
- 1440p res
- High settings
- Framerate TBD (will post update - didn't have overlay on)
- Over cities it def takes a hit, as well as close to ground w/lots of objects like cars / lamp posts.
- Haven't tried specific city add-ons yets.

I will say that Flight Sim 2020 is probably the most graphics intensive game I've seen. It still freezes once in a while every 20-30 seconds, so I will be tuning the settings to more of a med-high & post here what framerates I'm getting with that.

What are you seeing?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Honestly haven't played it much, but:
- 1440p res
- High settings
- Framerate TBD (will post update - didn't have overlay on)
- Over cities it def takes a hit, as well as close to ground w/lots of objects like cars / lamp posts.
- Haven't tried specific city add-ons yets.

I will say that Flight Sim 2020 is probably the most graphics intensive game I've seen. It still freezes once in a while every 20-30 seconds, so I will be tuning the settings to more of a med-high & post here what framerates I'm getting with that.

What are you seeing?
The system has just been built and I have not started playing yet.
The res is 1440p and I aim at High settings at this moment. According to a few reviews that I read, Ultra setting does not offer much visual improvement but the performance hit is un-proportionally large. Judging from those comparison pics in those reviews, I could even settle for Med-high to achieve sustainable >30 fps. Due to some family business, I will not be able to start FS2020 until early Jan the earliest.

I appreciate your feedback.

brosephStalin

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2020
The system has just been built and I have not started playing yet.
The res is 1440p and I aim at High settings at this moment. According to a few reviews that I read, Ultra setting does not offer much visual improvement but the performance hit is un-proportionally large. Judging from those comparison pics in those reviews, I could even settle for Med-high to achieve sustainable >30 fps. Due to some family business, I will not be able to start FS2020 until early Jan the earliest.

I appreciate your feedback.
Tested yesterday - on mostly medium settings with some high & most of the effects enabled, I'm getting around 50-80 FPS w/an average of probably 60 fps. Not great, but not horrible for such a graphics intensive game. There is still some stuttering every once & a while. Interestingly, my Nvidia 1070 FE was pushing 40-50fps on the same settings. It must be the game, because I get probably 200% better performance out of most other games w/the 3070 FE vs the 1070 FE.