GPU SFF 4070 Models

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I feel like our only hope nowadays is that someone on AliExpress or TaoBao steps up and aftermarket compact coolers (with proper heat pipes) for reference PCB cards becomes a thing... when you think about it there's usually like 3 or 4 NVidia cards that share the exact same mounting pattern for the reference PCB so 1 cooler should be able to be compatible with all of those. (meaning there would be enough potential market to make it worthwhile)

Overall it is such a shame though... with GTX 10 series we were at a point where everything upto and including the 1080 was available in true ITX format, and for the 1080Ti you could get that compact dual fan Zotac model. Also around that time motherboards started having everything onboard, so there were almost no more use cases for PCIe cards outside of GPUs.

For a second I thought ITX and sub 20l cases were going to become standard, but alas... vendors quickly noticed all of that empty space in ATX cases and rather than miniaturizing the footprint they decided to push the narrative that everyone needed triple slot coolers on their 150W TGP cards and a Core i5 needs a 360mm AIO...

Nowadays when I see a 50l case with a 3060 and an i5 in it, it reminds me of those lifted full-size pickups that people use to bring their kids to soccer practice...
I couldn't agree with this more. Not to mention the insane number of pointless SKUs - why sell everyone the same 2-3 models when you can increase prices across the board and convince consumers they need to spend $500+ on a motherboard.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Inno3D also has that 4070 with 3 fans and a longer heatsink as well that would deliver serious coolness for something that's 200w and still dual slot. Which sounds perfect for Dan A4-SFX and Ghost S1 owners.

As for AMD, what really bugs me is that there are tons of articles out there where this illustration of a single-fan refererence card is featured, yet it doesn't even exist. It has the reference design with a single fan - sometimes from another angle or different background... there are tons of shots out there featuring this card.

AMD announces Radeon RX 6600 graphics card based on RDNA2 architecture: All  you need to know

Yet there was never an ITX reference card like that, but they used it in so many articles and spec sheets that's not even related to small cards, just plainly Radeon gpu's.

AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database

This is also a popular one - does anyone saw something like that IRL? NO. Then WHY? Why tease us with these? It's seems awesome, people are seeing it only to never actually find any. It's not said anywhere that this never ever had a physical form, I remember you eventually had to come to the conclusion that it's probably doesn't exist. Despite that they used these an awfully lot. These two are even all over on AMD's official website, so why didn't they actually make this when they used it literally everywhere is beyond me.
The answer is probably that they never actually made any reference card from the 6500 to 6650xt, only 6700 and above. And articles mentioning those in general without narrowing it down to a certain aftermarket model could use some of these assets, but come on... Just take a look at the sales, the 6600xt is probably the best seller of the bunch, so why they left that money on the table? These cards look awesome and they could've sold quite much.

Last edited:

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 21, 2018

They were nice enough to give us a great shot of the rear PCB. Lets see if we can't find some 4070 PCB's that matches this layout.

EDIT: it might not work this time... with different memory buses, the topography might be too different.

Reactions: chinevo and rfarmer

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
There's no reason that the 4070 or 4070ti couldnt be in a 200mm reference card dimension like the Evga 3060ti XC, so if we just wait, hopefully some vendor will design it. Its only a 200 watt part and does not need a 260mm heatsink

The 4060/60ti is underpowered frankly (it should really be called a 4050), but at least there is an extremely short 155mm version available, which could make for an interesting build possibility. So hats off to Inno3d who thought... hmm... this is only a 115 watt part so we can make it smol.

Last edited:

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 21, 2018
Well.... cr*p. I took the two images and examined the mounting holes..... the 4060's have square mounts around the GPU die while the 4070's have rectangular ones. There is no way any of these coolers will mount to a 70 card this gen. I should have figured that out sooner before posting, but O well.

The Zotac 4070 Twin will fit in my current case, and is the only upgrade path I would consider right now. I have a 2070 still serving me fine, but I was just expecting more performance from the 4070 this generation with the prices NVIDIA are charging. I think I'll wait and see if they do a mid-gen refresh like the 20 series.

yeshyyyk

Efficiency Noob
Feb 28, 2023
I think it's better to just wait for a 140W A4000 successor/RTX 4000 SFF at this point - even if you were to mod it, you would still be stuck with 12GB VRAM (not unusable, but not as worth modding)

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
Anybody heard about the Gigabyte RTX 4070 Windforce 2X ?
I just randomly found it.
L=201 W=122.3 H=48.4 mm
Yup I have been eyeing it for a bit but holding out hope they create a 4070 Super variant of it!!

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch