Image Credit – Asus

There is some good news for SFF users who benefit from blower fan cards; Asus is launching a blower version of the RTX 4070 called the ASUS Turbo GeForce™ RTX 4070 12GB GDDR6X. The card is a 2-slot model featuring a dual 80mm dual ball bearing fan, 269mm length, and shroud designed for multi-GPU installation.

Continue reading...

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
While I appreciate having extra options on the market, I just don't see the point of a 2 slot blower 4070. The normal 2 slot 4070s run quite cool even in a small case. I have a 4070 FE in a Velka 5 and don't come close to having any thermal issues.

Reactions: rfarmer

SomeRandomDeafDude

Trash Compacter
Dec 4, 2019
Standard blowers just seem not worth it when Ada's already efficient enough on the power-thermal setup(unless of course it's not the best setup internally).

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
At least, with blower, you do not dump GPU heat inside your chassis? This should help with CPU temps. Also, those fits in 3U chassis since the power connector ain't on the side.

It does, and can do so quiet a bit, even with lower power GPUs.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
While I appreciate having extra options on the market, I just don't see the point of a 2 slot blower 4070. The normal 2 slot 4070s run quite cool even in a small case. I have a 4070 FE in a Velka 5 and don't come close to having any thermal issues.
I do like this. Even if a regular 4070 FE with a flow-through cooler is fine in a Velka 5 despite spreading heat everywhere and also being immediately heavily blocked with it's exhaust on the other side by a psu that's already heating up the air around it... If all that is going to be solved by this gpu, then the thermals will not just bo ok-ish like in your case, but could possibly be a LOT better - and for the cpu as well. That sounds pretty great.
The article mentions the Dan A4-SFX, that case can actually have some fans below the gpu to exhaust the air out. Question is the sound.

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
I do like this. Even if a regular 4070 FE with a flow-through cooler is fine in a Velka 5 despite spreading heat everywhere and also being immediately heavily blocked with it's exhaust on the other side by a psu that's already heating up the air around it... If all that is going to be solved by this gpu, then the thermals will not just bo ok-ish like in your case, but could possibly be a LOT better - and for the cpu as well. That sounds pretty great.
The article mentions the Dan A4-SFX, that case can actually have some fans below the gpu to exhaust the air out. Question is the sound.
I understand your point, but if both the CPU and GPU are 20C+ under their throttle temp I don't think it really matters. You aren't going to see any difference in clock speeds and the blower variant will likely be louder. Regardless, it'll be good to have on the market so that it gives an option to those who would prefer a blower cooler.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
The sound profile of a blower card is highly dependent on the build quality of the cooler. The 5700XT was pretty much a worst case scenario. However the GTX 1080 had an excellent sound profile under load and was tested to be actually quieter than axial 3rd party fans by both Bitwit and LTT.

In my own personal experience, I’ve seen some pretty nasty feedback loops even with bottom facing exhaust fans. I upgraded my NCASE M1 build from a 6700K to a 8086K. In the process I switched from air cooling to a 240mm AIO. Everything was fine until I upgraded the GPU from a 980ti blower to a 2080 FE. The 2080FE dumped so much heat into the case that the 8086K would throttle as well as the GPU. Downward facing exhaust fans helped slightly, but ultimately couldn’t sustain the system past about 30 minutes of gaming.

Ultimately, I moved to a better ventilated case.

I’m trying to gather some older high-power GPUs with blowers vs coolers for a test, but finances are tight right now. In the future though, I hope to do so.