Power Supply 12VHPWR adapter cable for HDPLEX 250W GaN

protocolsix

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 24, 2022
Unfortunately, it seems even low/moderate-wattage models of latest GPUs use 12VHPWR power connectors. For example, 4070 Super models which require 12VHPWR connector but draw max ~220W.

I plan on dedicating a HDPLEX 250W GaN PSU to power solely a 4070 Super GPU. Using all the included adapters would be extremely bulky so I am considering making a custom cable for my specific use of this particular GPU/PSU.

Notably, the HDPLEX PCIe to 2x 6+2 pin cable uses a daisy chain configuration with just 7 strands of 20AWG wire (4x grounds and 3x +12v) coming from the PSU. For my use case, splitting this into more wires/pins with adapters seems completely redundant:
  • The per-pin amperage limit of 12VHPWR is over 9A (higher than the other molex connectors). 3 pins at 9A is 324W, far higher than either the OCP of the PSU or the maximum draw of the GPU.
  • I have read that the 12vHPWR spec requires all 6 power header pins be joined together on the GPU PCB [source]. So there is no requirement that each power pin is connected to power. Obviously, redundancy would provide extra safety buffer, but for this GPU and PSU combination, even 2 pins should be sufficient (2x 9.2A = 220.8W). I could double crimp the pins on the 12VHPWR side, but this seems unnecessary to me.
My plan is to create a 1x PCIe to 12VHPWR cable with that supports equivalent load as the included adapter combination.

I found a manufacturer the makes a similar 8-pin to 12VHPWR cable (https://pactech-inc.com/product/new...x-eps-8-pin-or-pcie-8-pin-psu-to-mini-12-pin/) but my use case doesn't need as much power.

Obviously this cable would be potentially risky in situations with different power requirements (different GPU and/or PSU), but for this specific situation I think this cable is equivalent to the extremely bulky adapter combination.

I am wondering if anyone else would like to see a cable like this or if I am missing something critical.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Have you considered taking an existing 2x8pin to 12VHPWR and repinning it to use both the PCIe and EPS on the HDPlex? If you use a reputable brand, you're sure that all the cables and crimps are done well and it's a minimal mod. You'd only have to buy a PCIe and EPS connector.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Have you considered taking an existing 2x8pin to 12VHPWR and repinning it to use both the PCIe and EPS on the HDPlex? If you use a reputable brand, you're sure that all the cables and crimps are done well and it's a minimal mod. You'd only have to buy a PCIe and EPS connector.
Then where do you source the 12V for ATX12V/EPS?

::EDIT:: I just read it says "power solely a RTX4070" and assumed that was a PC with a 4070, but maybe it's JUST the GPU so not a problem, in which case I'd absolutely do the dual 8-pin repin. Super easy mod, all you need is one of each connector and a few staples to depin the original connectors.... and maybe a multimeter to cover your ass before you plug it into any GPU ;)