Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
If pre-orders are closed and have been for some time now, and since there is no intention of reviving production, even if communication is good, should not this thread be marked STALLED just as Cooj was?

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Have all orders been fulfilled? Completed.

Are orders outstanding and significantly delayed? Stalled.
Hey,

All orders have been completed. I've been responding here periodically because people still have questions regarding the product.

Also there are intentions of continuing production, but not at this time as the economy is down and want to make some updates.

Taylor

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Never said orders were not completed. My point was if no more cases are being made or intended to be produced at this time this would meet the definition of stalled production (only new runs). Since NO ONE can order or preorder production is stalled. A better industry word at least in the US, would be it is On Hold!
What is the difference; On Hold can be the decision of the creator with no underlying problems to cause this. But a Stall implies (a reason, higher costs, lack of funding, broken supplier source(s), or redesign necessities). Since Confusis has his own definition of Stall it is a moot point., so I will respond no further on the subject.

Kundahli

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 29, 2017
Has anyone had any luck getting in touch with the creators? Wanted to explore the possibility of ordering some spare parts (even if B-stock condition): a perforated side panel and trad. layout bracket.

Last edited:

am1racle

Efficiency Noob
Mar 30, 2022
Anyone have a recommendation for a Riser cable that will fit in place of the one I received with the case? Am having some GPU issues with an AMD motherboard that I attribute to the riser.
Using a 4090 so if anyone has a 4.0 recommendation pls let me know the length and type of riser!

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
I can't speak for Taylor but if I were him, I'd be taking a long break after the year it took him to get these out to people. Maybe that's what he's doing? You can tell there was a ton of love, work, and attention poured into this case. The quality is just on another level.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey Everyone,

So to clarify some of your questions. I have been taking a long break and evaluating what more I need to bring to Protolyth.

The Slate Case itself is one of many paths and we would like to keep producing it. Our feedback suggests we need to make some design improvements/changes to make it more available. This will not diminish the quality of first run buyers.

As for some of your questions about getting another perforated panel. We did find some B stock parts available, but in limited quantity. I've responded to those that have made first inquiries about getting another panel. If they do not answer then they will be available to another.

I'll be making some announcements soon via social media.

Best regards,

Taylor, Protolyth

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Thread...I command thee to .....RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

I finally got around to putting together my Slate case. Nothing special in terms of components. 280MM AIO, combined with 4X Phanteks 140mm x 30mm fans in a front-to-back config with the AIO at the front. CPU is a 13900K. GPU is an EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 (2.1 slots).

Build process was....interesting. It's the first case I've had to use a rubber mallet to build with. The core just didn't want to slide back in. I don't plan to ever take that back out. Once inside though it worked easily enough. I wish I had bought an extra sheet of glass.

I've tuned the system more for quietness than all out performance and I'm happy to say that it's no louder than my old ATX Silverstone Seta A1 while gaming. CPU sits at 5.5GHz while gaming. I've linked the rear exhaust speed to the GPU temps as this GPU runs hot regardless of the system. I still have some fine tuning to do with wiring. I plan to eventually replace the power button with something more flush and harder to accidentally hit. Overall though, I really like the design.

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017

I finally got around to putting together my Slate case. Nothing special in terms of components. 280MM AIO, combined with 4X Phanteks 140mm x 30mm fans in a front-to-back config with the AIO at the front. CPU is a 13900K. GPU is an EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 (2.1 slots).

Build process was....interesting. It's the first case I've had to use a rubber mallet to build with. The core just didn't want to slide back in. I don't plan to ever take that back out. Once inside though it worked easily enough. I wish I had bought an extra sheet of glass.

I've tuned the system more for quietness than all out performance and I'm happy to say that it's no louder than my old ATX Silverstone Seta A1 while gaming. CPU sits at 5.5GHz while gaming. I've linked the rear exhaust speed to the GPU temps as this GPU runs hot regardless of the system. I still have some fine tuning to do with wiring. I plan to eventually replace the power button with something more flush and harder to accidentally hit. Overall though, I really like the design.
Come on Revenant, a rubber hammer to get the spine in??? Now that it is jammed I guess we will never see pics of what you have done... Low-profile vandals from the UK are the best bet is the hole 16mm or 19mm? Why do you need more glass? Were the rails squeezed inward by the body causing the need for extra force to get the spin started but it moved easily once inside the body???? RJS ELECTRONICS DIGIKEY MSS19 19mm Why not use dry silicone lube on case rails before, if they were that tight??

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019

Live reenactment of Revenant build a pc 😆

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Come on Revenant, a rubber hammer to get the spine in??? Now that it is jammed I guess we will never see pics of what you have done... Low-profile vandals from the UK are the best bet is the hole 16mm or 19mm? Why do you need more glass? Were the rails squeezed inward by the body causing the need for extra force to get the spin started but it moved easily once inside the body???? RJS ELECTRONICS DIGIKEY MSS19 19mm Why not use dry silicone lube on case rails before, if they were that tight??

pics will come.

As for the spine, my best guess is that the tolerance wasn’t correct in manufacturing. Once I released all of the tensioners it would only move a centimeter or so. I was able to slowly, over about 10 minutes, walk the spine out of the case. I then cleaned and inspected the rails for debris but didn’t find any. After that, I used a small amount of gun cleaning oil to see if that allowed more freedom of movement. It didn’t. I cleaned the oil and didn’t see much dirt from the rail itself on the cleaning patches or q-tips.

I then built the spine and began reassembling it. I had hoped the extra weight give the spine a bit more give but no luck. Ultimately it came down to using a screw driver to pry the rail or the rubber mallet to tap the spine into the rails. Prying it while maneuvering it required three hands, and I’ve got only two. So a minute of light tapping later and it was in. Once past the first third of the rail it moved smoothly, and I can slide it now.

Now I can write all that, or I can just say I used a rubber mallet and leave you all to think I did a Clarkson. POWER!!!!!!

As for the second piece of glass, it’s because I was thinking of putting it on the GPU side for well the vertical screen I’m putting in the case. I should have enough airflow with this setup. Also I’ve had glass break just by looking at in the wrong way, and I have two small kids.

Those power buttons look pretty close to what I’m thinking of. Thanks!

Last edited: