Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
I remembered the question I want to ask for three years already)

What will happen if I cut out this part from the case? Do you think this cooling will improve? (on video cards like a blower, it looks as if about 30% of the holes on the video card are blocked, from where air is pushed out).

For GPUs with blower style coolers it might improve the cooling a little bit, but I do not think the difference would be as big as you would expect (for most of the graphic cards). What is more, many blower style cards uses only one PCI slot to throw out hot air. Your situation is specific, because your radiator fins are in the middle of this bar, and it could help a little bit more, but still... do not expect like 30-40% better cooling just because of removing this middle bar.

And the second question - how much can this affect the stiffness of the case? In my opinion, everything looks pretty strong - in fact, the mounting points of the video card from both sides are preserved, and we only lose this middle bar, which always seemed to me superfluous, and the purpose of which I never understood. Maybe we can see such an improvement in the third version of this case, if possible? )

photo there

The stiffness of the whole case probably will not be affected that much, but the point where the middle threaded bushing is inserted might bent a little bit while screwing your graphics card.

Maybe we can see such an improvement in the third version of this case, if possible? )

I do not think it will happen. You are forgetting about people who are using 1-slot GPUs. If you use only one slot for GPU, then the 2nd one will have to be blocked by some pci-slot cover. If you will remove this middle bar, then between GPU slot and 2nd slot cover will probably stay some gap, which won't look very aesthetic.

Reactions: dtagirov

MelbourneFL

Chassis Packer
Feb 12, 2020
We don't know yet. There are other projects that have priority that have piled up while we were fulfilling the campaign orders. [...]

Thanks for the information. I have a follow-up question though:

I totally understand that you can not make any promises but I just want to know if it still possible that new cases will be available before September or if that is already out of the question. I'm currently planning to build my new computer around that time and would really appreciate any information. If it is already out of the question I could start building my computer now and would have to choose another case.

Thanks a lot,

Alexander

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Thanks for the information. I have a follow-up question though:

I totally understand that you can not make any promises but I just want to know if it still possible that new cases will be available before September or if that is already out of the question. I'm currently planning to build my new computer around that time and would really appreciate any information. If it is already out of the question I could start building my computer now and would have to choose another case.

Thanks a lot,

Alexander

Once again - right now we don't want to state any specific dates because in the past we have slipped with such deadlines multiple times.

We have just finished shipping campaign orders a bit over a month ago and we are currently occupied with different projects, so we did not have any time to push anything forward in context of next production run. Right now we are focused on a few big projects that are priority for our company and thus it is really hard to make specific estimates on when we'll be ready to make more cases.

I'm sorry, but asking again and again won't change the answer which right now is still that we will post an update when we are ready to do so.

If you are planning to make a build in September, then follow the thread and see if we post any updates on availability. Also you might want to just follow our accounts on the forum to filter out other comments in the thread.

Also note that the current corona virus epidemic in China may have an impact on our ability to manufacture bigger amounts of complete sets with all accessories as the package contains some PC-specific components, that simply are not made in the EU, and most of western companies stating they are manufacturing those are actually outsourcing their production to China.

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
Last edited:

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
I really wanted to order a Sentry 2.0, but I didn't find out about it until recently. Since @SaperPL 's Sentry 2.0 is not available right now it's important to take note of all of the similar, console-sized SFF cases that can fit a full sized GPU. Many of which you can currently order:
If you want to discuss other cases, then please go to the specific section either asking for support in choosing one or in the threads about those cases, unless of course you want to reference other project and discuss/compare a feature/it's implementation between cases.

Btw, I love that now every SFF is "console-sized" just because upcoming xbox got fat XD

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
If you want to discuss other cases, then please go to the specific section either asking for support in choosing one or in the threads about those cases, unless of course you want to reference other project and discuss/compare a feature/it's implementation between cases.

Btw, I love that now every SFF is "console-sized" just because upcoming xbox got fat XD
Well, it seemed like you were telling people to stop asking you for Sentry 2.0 updates for purchase. I thought I was being helpful by noting that there are other similar cases these people could look into until the Sentry is available.

Apparently I was wrong. Sorry about that.

Dustbunnyck

Caliper Novice
Nov 10, 2019

I honestly like the shape of Sentry /Xbox one more than the new style Xbox. Something clean looking like it slots into a TV center all nice

phinix

Chassis Packer
Feb 1, 2020
Dzieki za odpowiedz, Zaber:)

I was actually thinking of Intel cpus - I currently have i5 7500 and keep it stock. GPU is 2070 Super Founders Edition.
I do not OC any of the components, just run on stock.
Using Noctua pcu cooler, I'm guessing that it shouldn't throttle down my CPU/GPU and keep both running at around 80-85C while gaming.
I know this isn't easy just to confirm these, but roughly - would this be a case?

I just purchased v1.1 - is there a huge difference in temps between 1.1 and 2.0?

Last edited:

phinix

Chassis Packer
Feb 1, 2020
OK, so i got my v1.1
Just built it, i5 7500 stock + Noctua NH-L9i, RTX 2070 Super FE.

So far idle/web browsing shows CPU 40C, GPU 26C.
I'll try some gaming tonight...

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
Sooo for the last month I have been cooking a small 3d printable accessory for the case, that adds a 40mm fan and a 15mm 2.5 drive. It's in beta, still a lot of stuff to refine.
Is that fan intake? Where do you take the air from?

NovaProspekt

Cable Smoosher
May 9, 2019
A heads up for anyone thinking of building their Sentry with an Asus Strix x570-I motherboard and a Cryorig C7G cooler. The Cryorig backplate interferes with multiple components on the underside of the board. You will need to cut the Intel specific mounting tabs off the backplate to get it to fit.

Reactions: ZombiPL and SaperPL

NovaProspekt

Cable Smoosher
May 9, 2019
A heads up for anyone thinking of building their Sentry with an Asus Strix x570-I motherboard and a Cryorig C7G cooler. The Cryorig backplate interferes with multiple components on the underside of the board. You will need to cut the Intel specific mounting tabs off the backplate to get it to fit.
Update: the entire edge of the C7G heat sink that faces the back I/o panel actually slightly rests on the VRM heat sink....I think properly mounting this cooler to this motherboard will require cutting a little notch out of the tip of every fin on the C7G to recess around the VRM heat sink.

Reactions: SaperPL

hengster

Caliper Novice
Jan 4, 2020
I'm interested in it, but I will have to see first how its layout will look. It will probably slightly differ from what dan designed and that may mean some incompatibility with Sentry, especially with the hard drives being above the motherboard.

Sorry to reply to such an old post, while I just moved my stuff around and found a rather good setup using the Alpenföhn Black Ridge.
Pictures would all be at the bottom, so bear with me for just a few words.

Setup:
Motherboard: ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac (the cheaper one, not the Phantom Gaming, which I own too)
With this MB, there are no VRM/stuff near the bottom, so the Intel mounting holes are the lowest among all the Z390i boards.
CPU: Intel 9th Gen i7-9700K at stock
GPU: MSI Ventus RTX 2080 (two-slot, non-OC, non-Super version) at stock
RAM: Adata VLP 2666MHz DDR4 8GB x2 (1.2V) Purple sticks(you can get this from Aliexpress for cheap)
Cooler: Alpenföhn Black Ridge Ver.2 (no problems with heat sink solder) with Noctua A12x15 Chromax (intake, blowing towards MB)
Ambient Temperature: 16 degrees Celsius (in Tokyo, Japan)

Build Pic:

Close up Pics:

HWMonitor Pic:

All Z390i MB at a Glance (I only have 4 out of 5, missing the Gigabyte Aorus):

Hope this helps!

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
Cooler: Alpenföhn Black Ridge Ver.2 (no problems with heat sink solder) with Noctua A12x15 Chromax (intake, blowing towards MB)

How do you find the noise levels on this setup? I have the same configuration except I have my fan blowing through the cooler (away from the mobo). The fan is quiet up to 1000 rpm (~55%) for me.

I saw a lot of people claiming intake was better, but that was mostly for the 92 mm fan, and when I tested with the bundled fan, it just became stupidly loud when set as an intake. With the 120 mm fan set as intake, I had issues with the raised screw holes for the 92 mm fan clipping with the fan blades. Did you file them down or add a spacer or something like that? The exhaust configuration avoids this issue by having the fan housing between the blades and the fins, which is ultimately why I chose to do it that way.

I ask because I keep questioning my decision, as everyone else seems to have done the opposite, but I have to disassemble my pc all the way to taking out the motherboard just to flip the fan orientation (perhaps I should have voted for the removable back panel after all :p), so I want to know if it's actually worth it.