Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

hengster

Chassis Packer
Jan 4, 2020
How do you find the noise levels on this setup? I have the same configuration except I have my fan blowing through the cooler (away from the mobo). The fan is quiet up to 1000 rpm (~55%) for me.

I saw a lot of people claiming intake was better, but that was mostly for the 92 mm fan, and when I tested with the bundled fan, it just became stupidly loud when set as an intake. With the 120 mm fan set as intake, I had issues with the raised screw holes for the 92 mm fan clipping with the fan blades. Did you file them down or add a spacer or something like that? The exhaust configuration avoids this issue by having the fan housing between the blades and the fins, which is ultimately why I chose to do it that way.

I ask because I keep questioning my decision, as everyone else seems to have done the opposite, but I have to disassemble my pc all the way to taking out the motherboard just to flip the fan orientation (perhaps I should have voted for the removable back panel after all :p), so I want to know if it's actually worth it.
thanks! Great to know someone in same shoes. I faced clipping sounds but it seems to have come from the two fan clips securing the 120mm fan to the bottom. After tweaking it the sounds are not there at low RPM but became apparent when above 1500. After that I tried removing the fan clips entirely and no problems at all now no sound at low or high RPM. The 92mm screw holes touch the anti vibration padding of the Noctua A12x15 Chromax fan which I do not see a problem. Now without fan clips, the sheer design of the Sentry keeps the 120mm securely in place so I don’t worry about it. I tried strings and cable ties but both interfere with max 48mm height of the cover so finally gave up.

Edit: the fan is very quiet now at all speeds, even with intake setup. The intake direction brings fresh air to cool my m.2 ssd which is in dire need of it. When using Cryorig c7g in the past no such cooling and temps can be above 50deg active, now it is 40 deg or lower when active and 30+ on idle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Idle2824

Idle2824

Trash Compacter
Apr 26, 2018
thanks! Great to know someone in same shoes. I faced clipping sounds but it seems to have come from the two fan clips securing the 120mm fan to the bottom. After tweaking it the sounds are not there at low RPM but became apparent when above 1500. After that I tried removing the fan clips entirely and no problems at all now no sound at low or high RPM. The 92mm screw holes touch the anti vibration padding of the Noctua A12x15 Chromax fan which I do not see a problem. Now without fan clips, the sheer design of the Sentry keeps the 120mm securely in place so I don’t worry about it. I tried strings and cable ties but both interfere with max 48mm height of the cover so finally gave up.

Edit: the fan is very quiet now at all speeds, even with intake setup. The intake direction brings fresh air to cool my m.2 ssd which is in dire need of it. When using Cryorig c7g in the past no such cooling and temps can be above 50deg active, now it is 40 deg or lower when active and 30+ on idle.
Thanks for the info. I might try to switch the fan direction at some point, though I'll have to come up with a suitable mounting mechanism as I don't fancy leaving the fan in there loose as you have (even if there isn't much room for it to move).

It's annoying that I can't really flip the fan without dismounting the cooler, or I would've tested both ways properly.

Van0

Average Stuffer
Mar 29, 2019
Thanks for the info. I might try to switch the fan direction at some point, though I'll have to come up with a suitable mounting mechanism as I don't fancy leaving the fan in there loose as you have (even if there isn't much room for it to move).

It's annoying that I can't really flip the fan without dismounting the cooler, or I would've tested both ways properly.
When I used to use this cooler, my fancy mounting mechanism for the 120mm fan was electrical tape around the edge of the whole thing haha. Has the added benefit of closing the very small gap between fan and cooler!

Reactions: hengster

Treshy

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
With my A12x15 on my Black Ridge V2 with liquid metal as thermal paste on my 3800x (aorus itx board) the fan is pretty much silent when set as intake
The GPU is louder at basically any non idle load, and at idle the cpu fan is pretty much not noticeable.

Reactions: Dustbunnyck

Idle2824

Trash Compacter
Apr 26, 2018
With my A12x15 on my Black Ridge V2 with liquid metal as thermal paste on my 3800x (aorus itx board) the fan is pretty much silent when set as intake
The GPU is louder at basically any non idle load, and at idle the cpu fan is pretty much not noticeable.
Thanks for the info. I had my PC open yesterday and decided to bite the bullet and swap the fan orientation to intake. Having to take out the motherboard (GPU and riser first, of course), take off the cooler (and therefore clean and reapply the thermal paste) just to do this is a definite downside of this particular setup. It required 20 screws to be unscrewed, by my count 🙃. I also had to file down the raised screw holes on the black ridge for the 92 mm fan, which wasn't much fun but worked out fine.

Anyway, the results seem to be good. The CPU temperatures are better by about 6 C at idle (down to about 43 C), and the fan is still silent under 1000 rpm. The pitch at higher rpm is a bit different, but overall is not louder. One thing I did notice though is that the max fan speed is about 100 rpm lower than it was in exhaust, only reaching 1750 rpm, presumably because of a more restricted intake. At idle, it means running at about 950 rpm instead of 1000 as it was before (I actually didn't change the fan curve at all).

The downside is that it's definitely making the components underneath (dram, chipset) warmer, but it doesn't seem to be major in what I've seen so far. My ram gets to 55 C in prime95 large ffts now; it only reached 50 C before. My chipset idles about 3 C warmer, at 70 C, and gets hotter when my CPU is under load, whereas before I often saw it cooling down as the CPU fan ramped up. I haven't played any games yet, so I don't know how things will change there.

tl;dr: 120 mm fan under black ridge cools CPU significantly better as intake, is no louder, but warms ram and chipset up more. It's probably worth taking a file to your black ridge to do this.

Reactions: Dustbunnyck

Dustbunnyck

Chassis Packer
Nov 10, 2019
So update I have been running my system with the [email protected] operations 8086k(delidded stock clocks) black ridge v2 heatsink and noctua 90mm fan, 2080ti founders edition both running jobs and the gpu is maxing at 84 degrees and the cpu at 78 which both are pushing for several hours. The fans are loud for a desktop but not nearly as horrendous as my old Razer laptop. The Sentry case powers through it it does cool off very fast when the load is taken away. I still love this case

Reactions: Octagoncow