Concept SENTRY 3.0: Development and Suggestions

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
Rysen said:
2 - Too many screws, try to remove screws as much as possible and use another locking mechanism. Make GPU and CPU slots easier to access.
That's part of the plan with with cutting up the cover in three pieces. The main big panel could have captive screws. But reduction of screws on the GPU side is impossible apart from that you won't have to use a tool to remove the main panel itself if it'll have captive screws. Those 4 screws that are on the bracket will be there, there's no other way to make it rigid without over-complicating it.

Have you considered, drafting version 3.0, the possibility to get rid of the screws, at least some of them, where possible, and using magnets?
Is that something that could be used? Or would it affect negatively costs/design/thickness?

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
You mean something like the inverted letter "U" like it's a tractor/classic car engine cover? If that's what you mean
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Thanks for the explanation as to why it wouldn't work, it's interesting getting some insight into the design and manufacturing side of things.

Reactions: SaperPL

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Have you considered, drafting version 3.0, the possibility to get rid of the screws, at least some of them, where possible, and using magnets?
Is that something that could be used? Or would it affect negatively costs/design/thickness?
I don't think it does make sense to partially replace screws with magnets on a single panel. If you were to replace screws on one panel with magnets, it would make sense, but for a case that's supposed to be transported making the panel magnetic could be risky. And yes, probably it would cost more to handle this without making the case significantly bigger.

Reactions: LeChuck81 and sos

uzzuroro

What's an ITX?
New User
May 14, 2021
Anybody tried the Inno 3D X3 4070ti in the sentry 2.0? Since the construction of the case puts many poweradapter close to the top, i would apprecitate a 90° powerconnector in the box of sentry 3.0... then i dont have to look for one... and i place my external hdd underneath the stand of the sentry 2.0. its goodspot to hide it, maybee considerto keep the distance nice for 2,5 external hdds. keep it up, love the case.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Hope you are doing good @SaperPL and you can start on planing more after Nvidia launched their 4070 card. That was what you were waiting right?
The point was for high end card to be in reasonable size and power draw, but yeah 4070 is something that makes more sense. Also I feel like we got to a point where 4K is not really a must have for everyone, it's just some fraction of player that must have that top ultra quality performance, so maybe there's going to be more understanding to the limitations of such SFF cases. But there are still problems with CPUs and low profile coolers, or maybe I should catch up to current situation on AM5...

Can you tell if we gonna see 3.0 in 2023? Or next year?
My best guesstimate would be not this year. We made a decision for 3.0 to have some stamping and for that we won't give a go at it without part the core of design team which has experience designing the tooling for such processes, and sadly there was always more important project at the table for most of the time so far.

Leo1linksalvaje

Efficiency Noob
Mar 9, 2021
My best guesstimate would be not this year. We made a decision for 3.0 to have some stamping and for that we won't give a go at it without part the core of design team which has experience designing the tooling for such processes, and sadly there was always more important project at the table for most of the time so far.

Well at least you are honest with us and give us information about the situation. 😐

Not like Valve does for example 😠

Reactions: er_wink

VFore

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 20, 2022
In case I buy the Thermalright AXP90-53 FULL BLACK cpu cooler do you think it will be compatible with the sentry 3.0 given the height (heatsink + fan) of 53mm?

It's a great cooler but in case it'll not be compatible I think I'll have to opt for an alternative like the AXP90-47 FULL COPPER.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
In case I buy the Thermalright AXP90-53 FULL BLACK cpu cooler do you think it will be compatible with the sentry 3.0 given the height (heatsink + fan) of 53mm?

It's a great cooler but in case it'll not be compatible I think I'll have to opt for an alternative like the AXP90-47 FULL COPPER.
We're considering going thicker by 1~1.25mm and lowering the standoffs by 0.5mm or 1mm if possible, but the last one might be against ATX spec so we're not so keen on that. Anyway in total we might be able to be in 50mm height of coolers, but that additional ~2mm of space should be considered as gap between the perforation and 47~48 mm coolers' fans.

Mosskovskaia

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
We're considering going thicker by 1~1.25mm and lowering the standoffs by 0.5mm or 1mm if possible, but the last one might be against ATX spec so we're not so keen on that. Anyway in total we might be able to be in 50mm height of coolers, but that additional ~2mm of space should be considered as gap between the perforation and 47~48 mm coolers' fans.
Yes! That’s the way man. 50mm is enough for a good low profile cooler. As I said before: it’s about the noise reduction when you use a 45mm cooler. I don’t want to modify a cooler or case so this is the best for 65w CPUs and people wo want to buy stock parts and just be happy. Whoever wants to put a 200w cpu in it will do it anyway. Thanks man, this was my biggest demand for this case.

Reactions: Atlas and L91

kyjol

Cable Smoosher
Aug 26, 2019
It would be amazing if the case was a bit wider to at least support an AXP-90 x47 Full Copper w/fan without turbulence. Currently it does fit (I have a white Sentry v1) but it's so loud it's pretty much unusable and I had to reinstall the L9a. Extra 3-5mm would really go a long way here and would also give a bit more options for GPU (sometimes that 5mm is clutch).

Improved ventilation would be very welcome, i.e. some way of adding fans - even if small - to move hot air out of the case. I noticed my 5900x with a N9La and a duct is a few C hotter in the Sentry than when I had it in my S4M. I guess this is probably because of how open the S4M was in terms of vents.

L91

Average Stuffer
Dec 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
If you can support 4090 FE and 47mm air cooler without too much turbulence, I'm sure there's market for that case. Yes, additional fan mounting, even 40mm ones, would be welcome addition for extracting hot air from case. I look forward to seeing the next revision come to life all the same.

Reactions: Atlas

Mosskovskaia

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
If you can support 4090 FE and 47mm air cooler without too much turbulence, I'm sure there's market for that case. Yes, additional fan mounting, even 40mm ones, would be welcome addition for extracting hot air from case. I look forward to seeing the next revision come to life all the same.
I think the 4090 is off the table. As @SaperPL said this case is not for these high wattage cards.
The CPU cooler height should be more what to expect and when I read and understand it correctly this is what the case gonna get as an upgrade.

@RareScrap a few posts before this @SaperPL said we shouldn’t expect this case to be released this year.
A little sneak peak would be nice but he often mentions that this is not their main work but a side project. If you go on their website you can see some wind turbines but I think even that isn’t their main job but don’t take my word for it. I don’t want to go into deep into their private life’s this was just to explain that this case is not their main focuse in life and we should respect that.
I think if you consider the reasons above and the quality of the predecessor then the waiting is acceptable.

I can’t wait to see a preview of the case or be able to get it too but we get infos why we can’t expect it at the moment and this is respectable in my opinion.

Reactions: sos