Cooling Salvo Studios s401 + 8700k CPU cooler suggestions

Erosin

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Feb 17, 2019
Hey everyone!

I am looking to transfer my music rig from a Fractal design Nano S to the s401 (For on the go) and am unsure of how to properly cool my CPU. I looked at the Noctua NH-L9i but many people have said that it is not up to the task. I currently have no graphics card so if liquid cooling is needed I could go with a mini card.

Thanks in advance!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Hey, welcome to the club! FYI, there is a main Salvo Studios S401 thread here that you can glean through for more info. For an 8700K, it may take a bit of tweaking and experimenting to get just right, especially if you're wanting to overclock any. If can fit anything in the territory of the Cryorig C7 which itself is purported to be similar in performance to the L9i. Seeing as the Alpenfohn Black Ridge is built for the Dan A4, which has a similar clearance, if your motherboard and RAM allow it, you could use that (post-recall). Id Cooling, Scythe, and Silverstone all seem to have coolers in the same height neighborhood. Various reviews exist around the net and the forum for testing purposes. From what I've seen, many of them are in the neighborhood of each other so I haven't bothered changing from my C7 Alu version

The S401's secret sauce is the 60mm fan mounts, IMO. Any slim 60mm fan will work but if you want to make it easy, @grsychckn sells them as accessories to the S401 on his store, I believe (if he hasn't sold out?). Just make sure to grab a fan splitter appropriate for the voltage or PWM controlled fans you get. They really help with that exhaust.

Reactions: Erosin

Erosin

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Feb 17, 2019
Hey, welcome to the club! FYI, there is a main Salvo Studios S401 thread here that you can glean through for more info. For an 8700K, it may take a bit of tweaking and experimenting to get just right, especially if you're wanting to overclock any. If can fit anything in the territory of the Cryorig C7 which itself is purported to be similar in performance to the L9i. Seeing as the Alpenfohn Black Ridge is built for the Dan A4, which has a similar clearance, if your motherboard and RAM allow it, you could use that (post-recall). Id Cooling, Scythe, and Silverstone all seem to have coolers in the same height neighborhood. Various reviews exist around the net and the forum for testing purposes. From what I've seen, many of them are in the neighborhood of each other so I haven't bothered changing from my C7 Alu version

The S401's secret sauce is the 60mm fan mounts, IMO. Any slim 60mm fan will work but if you want to make it easy, @grsychckn sells them as accessories to the S401 on his store, I believe (if he hasn't sold out?). Just make sure to grab a fan splitter appropriate for the voltage or PWM controlled fans you get. They really help with that exhaust.

Thanks for the reply! I have been looking at the scythe Big shuriken 2 with the use of the side panel spacers on the Salvo Studios website but as @grsychckn stated it may take some modding. I will definitely look into the Black Ridge as I have not heard of it before and I don't think I will be overclocking since audio production doesn't seem to flog my CPU so that should not be as much of a problem.
Hopefully, I will be picking up the case within the next couple of weeks and begin building!

Reactions: annasoh323

Erosin

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Feb 17, 2019
I was just reading a thread on Reddit about the Black Ridge Recall and noticed that someone had mentioned the Zalman CNPS2X cooler. Does anyone have any experience with it? IT apparently can handle a 120-watt tdp CPU.

Reactions: annasoh323

Erosin

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Feb 17, 2019
Hey everyone, it has been a while as I was unable to get my hands on the s401 until now.... Due to the sudden disappearance of the C7 and Big Shuriken from the marketplace, I have looked towards the Alpenfohn Black RIdge but I am unsure if it will fit my motherboard, as the VRMS might be too big. Any suggestions?

My motherboard is the Gigabyte Z370N Wifi