Cooling Scythe Kozuti Low Profile CPU Cooler, SCKZT-1000

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Hi SFFForum, I have a Skyreach 4 Mini that currently contains the following:

i7-8700k
ASUS Z370i ITX Motherboard (VRM Heatsink issue?)
2x8GB DRR4 2114MHz RAM
Sapphire RX 570 ITX
WD Blue 1x500GB M.2 SSD
WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM HDD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM HDD
HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX Adapter
Dell 330W AC-DC Adapter
Skyreach 4 Mini
(45mm Cooler Clearance Limit)

I have been eyeing the Scythe Kozuti - But I dont know if it can sustain the 8700k at near or on 100% load with turbo or if its worse than the Noctua L9i or on par to?
the Noctua L9i throttles at 100C with 4.3GHz - without turbo it can handle at a more healthy 80c max range
Will it sound like an absolute jet like a running high load graphics card noise with the Scythe Kozuti as it obviously an challenging CPU to cool with turbo enabled? Thank you everyone.

Last edited:

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
thats actually surprising to know - would an additional 15mm fan with the Skyreach 4 Mini's fan adapter compliment or rather hinder the cooling performance of the Noctua L9i?

Thanks for responding confusis

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
That one's an unknown to me - S4 owners or @Josh | NFC may be able to help :)
no worries confusis - I'll check on the forum if there isnt already a dicussion in regards to using a 120mm fan (on top of the existing noctua l9i stock fan) in the Skyreach 4 Mini with the 120mm fan adapter

cheers confusis!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
no worries confusis - I'll check on the forum if there isnt already a dicussion in regards to using a 120mm fan (on top of the existing noctua l9i stock fan) in the Skyreach 4 Mini with the 120mm fan adapter

cheers confusis!

Hello, Hypertiz. If you remove the stock fan, then yes, you cant fit one, but it has never yielded adequate results for me.

Peace

Reactions: rifter and HYPERTiZ

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Hello, Hypertiz. If you remove the stock fan, then yes, you cant fit one, but it has never yielded adequate results for me.

Peace

Hi Josh,
I've considered more about that thought and figured it may be similar to the Noctua L9i so I went back to the Cryorig C7 that was sitting under my bed again - So I abandoned that original plan and figured I could try something drastic - either attach a 92mm (14mm thick) Noctua with the aftermarket clips (might not completely fit with the case screws installed) OR do something very unconventional..

the unconventional idea is seemingly working as it is currently cooling an i7-8700k with the Cryorig C7 Heatsink & the Scythe SlipStream 120mm (12mm thick) PWM Fan (one that came with Scythe BS2 Rev.B) attached to the Skyreach 4 Mini's 120mm Fan Adapter.

Since the unconvention method works - the next thing that is on my mind is - acquiring a replacement fan as it claims it has 30k hours life expectancy - so assuming it dies - the challenge would be where would I source 120mmx12mm PWM replacements be available? - perhaps my Australian PC shops might help me with my search! Or I can try the Noctua Adapter by making it lower voltage.

The cool thing is now with this unconventional method - it's now really easy to replace the fan & install the heatsink in such a tight space!

Noctua L9i Stock Fan:

RPCS3 Skate 3 - Thermal Throttle at 4.0-4.3GHz 100c - 95c if downvolted -95 via Intel Extreme Utility

Cryorig C7 Stock Fan:
RPCS3 Skate 3 - Thermal Throttle at 4.3-4.5GHz - Average 76c - Max 85c (gave it about a couple minutes in Port Caverton moving around a bit and at times idling)

Cryorig C7 w/ Scythe Shuriken BS2 Rev.B:
RPCS3 Skate 3 - 4.3-4.5GHz - Average 76c - Max 86c

-----
Ah, I think this would be my last resort shop to purchase from - i think thats the one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SCPH9M/?tag=theminutiae-20

I've added a photoshoot of how it turned out

Last edited:
Reactions: Josh | NFC

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hi Josh,
I've considered more about that thought and figured it may be similar to the Noctua L9i so I went back to the Cryorig C7 that was sitting under my bed again - So I abandoned that original plan and figured I could try something drastic - either attach a 92mm (14mm thick) Noctua with the aftermarket clips (might not completely fit with the case screws installed) OR do something very unconventional..

the unconventional idea is seemingly working as it is currently cooling an i7-8700k with the Cryorig C7 Heatsink & the Scythe SlipStream 120mm (12mm thick) PWM Fan (one that came with Scythe BS2 Rev.B) attached to the Skyreach 4 Mini's 120mm Fan Adapter.

Since the unconvention method works - the next thing that is on my mind is - acquiring a replacement fan as it claims it has 30k hours life expectancy - so assuming it dies - the challenge would be where would I source 120mmx12mm PWM replacements be available? - perhaps my Australian PC shops might help me with my search! Or I can try the Noctua Adapter by making it lower voltage.

The cool thing is now with this unconventional method - it's now really easy to replace the fan & install the heatsink in such a tight space!

Noctua L9i Stock Fan:

RPCS3 Skate 3 - Thermal Throttle at 4.0-4.3GHz 100c - 95c if downvolted -95 via Intel Extreme Utility

Cryorig C7 Stock Fan:
RPCS3 Skate 3 - Thermal Throttle at 4.3-4.5GHz - Average 76c - Max 85c (gave it about a couple minutes in Port Caverton moving around a bit and at times idling)

Cryorig C7 w/ Scythe Shuriken BS2 Rev.B:
RPCS3 Skate 3 - 4.3-4.5GHz - Average 76c - Max 86c

-----
Ah, I think this would be my last resort shop to purchase from - i think thats the one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SCPH9M/?tag=theminutiae-20

I've added a photoshoot of how it turned out

The one you linked is a regular sized fan.

You can see if any local stores sell this one:

http://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=14

The stock fan for the Big Shuriken is not sold retail, as it is a 120x120x13 PWM fan. You can find the regular DC versions, which should work just fine if you have voltage control. It's called the "slipstream slim 120mm fan." Comes in multiple RPM versions.

Reactions: HYPERTiZ

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
The one you linked is a regular sized fan.

You can see if any local stores sell this one:

http://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=14

The stock fan for the Big Shuriken is not sold retail, as it is a 120x120x13 PWM fan. You can find the regular DC versions, which should work just fine if you have voltage control. It's called the "slipstream slim 120mm fan." Comes in multiple RPM versions.

I didnt know that - I thought it was that fan considering it had PWM support - that looks pretty cool though. This is probably a better fan durability wise - but wondering about the air pull? - thanks thehack

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I didnt know that - I thought it was that fan considering it had PWM support - that looks pretty cool though. This is probably a better fan durability wise - but wondering about the air pull? - thanks thehack

They look like the same design. I don't think there is much difference between the two, scythe and raijintek.

Reactions: HYPERTiZ

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
I just on a whim swapped the 120mm fan to nh-l9i’s and the case sandwiched it in place perfectly - theres obviously turbulence if said right as its like 1mm left so the rubber from the fan is holding it in place and high rpms would sound like a PS4 fan

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
I jumped back to the trusty i5-8400 cpu and noctua l9i lol..
I sold my friend my 8700k for his future build in a node 202 with a scythe bs2 rev.b.