Production S700: Salvo Studios <23L ATX Steel Watercooled Unibody Chassis

BeethovenNinja

Chassis Packer
Dec 25, 2018

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, is a lot of power in a small case. Not to mention the 1 x 512GB m.2 NVMe, 2 x 1TB m.2 NVMe, 2 x 8TB SATA, and Radeon WX9100. I'll try to start something on PC Part Picker tomorrow if I have time.

I have a radeon pro duo polaris sitting, is there room for it in this case?

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I have a radeon pro duo polaris sitting, is there room for it in this case?

For the prototype #2, it would fit. I have to take some pictures of the GPU/PSU side to show how. The problem for me will be changes to the design to help make it more affordable to produce. This means something like the pro duo with the 120mm AIO might not fit, but I'm still debating the basic design. After the S402 is released and the sales calm down, I plan on revisiting the S700/S600 to finally make a design that will work with full-sized ATX boards.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
For the prototype #2, it would fit. I have to take some pictures of the GPU/PSU side to show how. The problem for me will be changes to the design to help make it more affordable to produce. This means something like the pro duo with the 120mm AIO might not fit, but I'm still debating the basic design. After the S402 is released and the sales calm down, I plan on revisiting the S700/S600 to finally make a design that will work with full-sized ATX boards.

Okay, great! I'm looking forward to seeing more!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
So - interesting story. I bricked my H11DSI motherboard by trying to rollback to the old 1.01a BIOS. I've now ordered an external EEPROM programming kit in hopes I can recover the BIOS without requiring another expensive RMA to Supermicro. I've always wanted to tinker with the programmers, so now is as good a time as any to do so. Unfortunately, this means I'll have to delay all the cool final build info and photos until I can get it up and running again.

One thing I will say is that this version of the S700 is very difficult to work with. Mostly for two reasons: 1. Lack of cable management. 2. Custom water loop. Anything I try to work on requires the loop be drained or some creativity in order to work around wires or plumbing. I also need to order some new ATX custom length cables for the SF750 I have installed as I'm using extension cables now for the 2xCPU and 24-pin cables. This means there are some additional plastic connectors that are very chunky and space consuming in all the wrong places.

Where I think I'd like to experiment moving forward is actually to revert back to the dual-chamber design but include a 3rd chamber between the two that is solely for cable management and access. Not sure just yet how this will work but I would very much like to be able to have it hinge in such a way that cables of varying lengths can be tucked away without being exposed in the outer chambers. I've been nooding hard on how to solve this problem but most likely I'm going to have to discuss solutions with my fabricator.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
So - interesting story. I bricked my H11DSI motherboard by trying to rollback to the old 1.01a BIOS. I've not ordered an external EEPROM programming kit in hopes I can recover the BIOS without requiring another expensive RMA to Supermicro. I've always wanted to tinker with the programmers, so now is as good a time as any to do so. Unfortunately, this means I'll have to delay all the cool final build info and photos until I can get it up and running again.

One thing I will say is that this version of the S700 is very difficult to work with. Mostly for two reasons: 1. Lack of cable management. 2. Custom water loop. Anything I try to work on requires the loop be drained or some creativity in order to work around wires or plumbing. I also need to order some new ATX custom length cables for the SF750 I have installed as I'm using extension cables now for the 2xCPU and 24-pin cables. This means there are some additional plastic connectors that are very chunky and space consuming in all the wrong places.

Where I think I'd like to experiment moving forward is actually to revert back to the dual-chamber design but include a 3rd chamber between the two that is solely for cable management and access. Not sure just yet how this will work but I would very much like to be able to have it hinge in such a way that cables of varying lengths can be tucked away without being exposed in the outer chambers. I've been nooding hard on how to solve this problem but most likely I'm going to have to discuss solutions with my fabricator.

Two separate "skeleton" frames with front and rear panels that hold them together?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Two separate "skeleton" frames with front and rear panels that hold them together?

This is very similar to the existing S700 prototypes I have had made. They are two uni-body chassis that are fastened to each other. I will have to investigate a frame system though as it may allow wider component support as the frames themselves could be manipulated to fit where necessary.

Reactions: Windfall

TristanDuboisOLG

Average Stuffer
May 10, 2018
BTW, was able to recover the BIOS on my Epyc system last night using the IPMI. The system is built and now I'm going to order some custom length PSU cables and then I can clean it up and take some pictures.
I'd love to see them! Every other pic on this thread isn't loading for me for some reason. lol

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
I would love for you to make a case that has the same layout as the TX1 by Custom MOD, it looks and feels way better to me, not so high and more 'regular'.

Still a nice case though, just not really my style.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I would love for you to make a case that has the same layout as the TX1 by Custom MOD, it looks and feels way better to me, not so high and more 'regular'.

Still a nice case though, just not really my style.
I'm still designing the S700/S600 so maybe when I'm done it would be something that appeals more to your needs when finished.

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
I'm still designing the S700/S600 so maybe when I'm done it would be something that appeals more to your needs when finished.

I just feel like using the space behind the mobo for the rad and psu feels like the better idea and leaves less unused space inside, while also making the cable management easier. With your design, with the PSU above the motherboard, you're inevitably exposing all the cables and making it harder to route them efficiently.

I mean you might have a completely different vision, that's absolutely fine, for me this gpu placement begs for dual chamber design. Slightly bigger footprint, that's true, but a more efficient design IMO (as I said, nothing wrong with different visions :) )

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
To add to my previous post, I saw you said you were thinking about reverting to a dual chamber design, I obviously like the decision, I think everything depends on what you want this case to be primarily suited for.

If we're assuming it is supposed to solely appeal to custom water-cooling people then the 360 rad makes sense but if you're going for max flexibility then I guess a 240 rad makes more sense, moving it to the back into the dual chamber along with the psu should also alleviate most of the problems with cables as they could be neatly tucked away there. The 240 rad could also be used for just the CPU loop if someone wanted to go that way.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to your design, hopefully you won't keep us waiting for too long ;)