Production S700: Salvo Studios <23L ATX Steel Watercooled Unibody Chassis

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Winner of the S401 contest is @Rjk1617 . I had an invalid e-mail address on the first choice so I picked again and Ryan won. I've already contacted him and will be working on getting it shipped out to him this week. Thanks to everyone for participating!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Winner of the S401 contest is @Rjk1617 . I had an invalid e-mail address on the first choice so I picked again and Ryan won. I've already contacted him and will be working on getting it shipped out to him this week. Thanks to everyone for participating!
Congrats @Rjk1617 on winning a case which will outlast you when <insert disaster - natural, unnatural, or otherwise> strikes!

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
any update to this case?
Sorry for the delayed response, very busy working on selling my house and moving into a rental until the new house is finished. I should have more time to provide updates on all fronts in two weeks. I can say right now that I have submitted the final designs to the new fabricator for the S402 which means I should have some more time to come back to this design soon while I wait for the prototype S402 to be made.

Right now, there are no new updates on the S700/S600 front but I do want to make this design because I have personal use for it. Again, sorry for the lack of updates but they will be coming soon.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Ok, we've finished moving and I've resumed progress on the S700 prototype #2 Epyc build. I know a lot of people are going to hate this but I'm going all-out on the RGB. Good news is that it can be turned off, which I will do for some of the pictures I'll take. This is going to take a long time and I expect it to be around Christmas before it's completed - mostly because of the complexity of the custom PSU cables, hard line tubing, and the overall massive amount of cable management that's going to have to be done. I don't have my camera or photography equipment at my new home but I should get that back by the end of the week. In the meantime, I'm going to focus on the water cooling setup and routing so that the cable management will be the last item to tackle. It's going to light up the room but also it will probably only exist to RDP into for Solidworks and perhaps I'll finally get a chance to play around with video editing for my YouTube channel.

You really have to be an expert at a lot of different things in order to make any products anymore.

I am planning on revisiting the S600/S700 design once this prototype has been built and I approve the final run of the S402 chassis. Until then, this project has to take a back seat unfortunately.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Ok, we've finished moving and I've resumed progress on the S700 prototype #2 Epyc build. I know a lot of people are going to hate this but I'm going all-out on the RGB. Good news is that it can be turned off, which I will do for some of the pictures I'll take. This is going to take a long time and I expect it to be around Christmas before it's completed - mostly because of the complexity of the custom PSU cables, hard line tubing, and the overall massive amount of cable management that's going to have to be done. I don't have my camera or photography equipment at my new home but I should get that back by the end of the week. In the meantime, I'm going to focus on the water cooling setup and routing so that the cable management will be the last item to tackle. It's going to light up the room but also it will probably only exist to RDP into for Solidworks and perhaps I'll finally get a chance to play around with video editing for my YouTube channel.

You really have to be an expert at a lot of different things in order to make any products anymore.

I am planning on revisiting the S600/S700 design once this prototype has been built and I approve the final run of the S402 chassis. Until then, this project has to take a back seat unfortunately.

Can't wait!

Maclaren

Case Bender
New User
Nov 28, 2019
@grsychckn

Hey,

I joined the forum since I really like the concept posted. Very hard to find small dual GPU ATX cases.

1) Is there an update regarding S700? I checked the website https://www.salvostudiosltd.com/store/p3/Salvo_Studios_S700.html and it says out of stock

2) does the s700 fit a 1u power supply?
There are lots of breakout boards for server power supplies. Slim power supplies in a 1u form factor

Last edited:

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
@grsychckn

Hey,

I joined the forum since I really like the concept posted. Very hard to find small dual GPU ATX cases.

1) Is there an update regarding S700? I checked the website https://www.salvostudiosltd.com/store/p3/Salvo_Studios_S700.html and it says out of stock

There are lots of breakout boards for server power supplies. Slim power supplies in a 1u form factor

I don't believe we're doing dual GPU anymore, based on the newest iteration of the design on the previous page.

Also I don't think we've done a full run of this yet. If you want updates, you could go back and follow the historical posts in this thread. Basically this project is on hold until the S402 finishes (as per his comments 2 posts up)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
@grsychckn

Hey,

1. There is an update to the design in that I've changed direction away from supporting dual GPUs (unless you use 2 x 1-slot GPUs).
2. The original design for the S700 supported both an SFX/SFX-L and a FlexATX PSU. However, with the advent of the SF750 and the Silverstone SFX-L 800W PSUs, I didn't really see the need for supporting two PSUs in the same chassis.

The project has been put on hold until I can get a better idea of what features/hardware I want to support. I have what I think is a better design in the dubbed 'S600', but it definitely needs to be revised a few times before I move forward with a prototype. I am putting most of my spare time right now into the S402 to get it ready to launch in the coming months with the expectation of receiving the first prototype in the next month. I would expect significant progress on the S600/S700 projects sometime in the spring once I begin selling the S402.

Obviously, I need to update the OP as there is outdated information there. I'll work on that some today.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I wanted to add an update of my build in prototype #2 of the S700. Below are some pictures where the build stands now. I'm waiting on a ball valve to arrive before I can test the loop, but I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I have not tested the motherboard yet as it is a return from an RMA to Supermicro. I hope I don't have any problems with it - should have tested before putting it in the build. I'm fairly confident though that it's going to be fine. All the parts were assembled and working with the previous board but due to a bent pin one of the DIMMs was non-functional.

I'm very proud of the number of cables I've been able to manage in this build. I bought 16 aftermarket RGB memory heatsink kits and had to shorten the cables for each one and re-solder them to the LED strips. Then I made a bus for connections using breadboard. These are the many connections you see either near the IO plate or near the top-right bank of memory, or just below the bottom memory banks.

I'm hoping to have this build completed before the S402 prototype arrives (probably week of Jan 13th). If so, it would free me up to migrate my current workstation to this new one while I work on testing fitment of the S402 with parts I recently purchased (along with a series of heatsink tests).

I'm finalizing the pump and wiring on the other side as the pump has different RGB connectors than everything else in the case. That side will need some further attention once I figure out how to adapt the pump to work with my LED controller. During testing of the pump LEDs, I plugged in the molex-wall adapter and had it on for a long time yesterday without realizing that the pump was running empty for a long time. I hope I didn't damage it but even so, I have a spare (non-RGB) that I can swap out if need be.

Edit: I wanted to also mention that I had to drill holes in the left waterblock so I could mount it 180-degrees from stock configuration. For some reason, these Bykski blocks don't allow you to mount them in either direction. I also purchased some RayStorm Neo blocks but then realized they were too tall for the 16mm hard line fittings to clear the side panels so I went back to these. Lessons learned for any future revisions of this case (I need more vertical clearance for the waterblock hardware).

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I wanted to add an update of my build in prototype #2 of the S700. Below are some pictures where the build stands now. I'm waiting on a ball valve to arrive before I can test the loop, but I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I have not tested the motherboard yet as it is a return from an RMA to Supermicro. I hope I don't have any problems with it - should have tested before putting it in the build. I'm fairly confident though that it's going to be fine. All the parts were assembled and working with the previous board but due to a bent pin one of the DIMMs was non-functional.

I'm very proud of the number of cables I've been able to manage in this build. I bought 16 aftermarket RGB memory heatsink kits and had to shorten the cables for each one and re-solder them to the LED strips. Then I made a bus for connections using breadboard. These are the many connections you see either near the IO plate or near the top-right bank of memory, or just below the bottom memory banks.

I'm hoping to have this build completed before the S402 prototype arrives (probably week of Jan 13th). If so, it would free me up to migrate my current workstation to this new one while I work on testing fitment of the S402 with parts I recently purchased (along with a series of heatsink tests).

I'm finalizing the pump and wiring on the other side as the pump has different RGB connectors than everything else in the case. That side will need some further attention once I figure out how to adapt the pump to work with my LED controller. During testing of the pump LEDs, I plugged in the molex-wall adapter and had it on for a long time yesterday without realizing that the pump was running empty for a long time. I hope I didn't damage it but even so, I have a spare (non-RGB) that I can swap out if need be.

Edit: I wanted to also mention that I had to drill holes in the left waterblock so I could mount it 180-degrees from stock configuration. For some reason, these Bykski blocks don't allow you to mount them in either direction. I also purchased some RayStorm Neo blocks but then realized they were too tall for the 16mm hard line fittings to clear the side panels so I went back to these. Lessons learned for any future revisions of this case (I need more vertical clearance for the waterblock hardware).

Looks amazing!

How do the temps look in that configuration?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Looks amazing!

How do the temps look in that configuration?

Thanks! Honestly, I don't know what the temps will be. I was using air coolers and the CPU temps were cool to the touch. I didn't have HWInfo installed to know the exact temp though. Rest assured, I will have solid numbers once I finish with the build.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Is that possible to OC at all?

I've not looked into it but I don't believe it is possible. I'll investigate that after I get it built but I probably wouldn't overclock it anyway because I'm going to make that my CAD workstation and will need it to remain stable.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

That is a lot of small power in a little case. Do you have a PC Part picker build list/similar?