Production S700: Salvo Studios <23L ATX Steel Watercooled Unibody Chassis

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I’d be interested to see size comparisons with other cases
I'll try to get both a picture of the currently prototype next to my corsair 750D and a virtual comparison against a model I have of the InWin 909. I'll try to get these posted today or tomorrow.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
So how do you use these together? Multiple power supplies is a mystery to me.
Black magic. Actually, there are special cables you can get for PSUs that connect the switch signals together. See this. I'm going to have a custom length cable made (like the one linked) so that the 24-pin ATX cables go from my Flex ATX to the mainboard and split off the two switch wires to the SFX PSU. Should be pretty straightforward and if I come across any problems I'll definitely be posting them here.

Reactions: enricko7

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018
Black magic. Actually, there are special cables you can get for PSUs that connect the switch signals together. See this. I'm going to have a custom length cable made (like the one linked) so that the 24-pin ATX cables go from my Flex ATX to the mainboard and split off the two switch wires to the SFX PSU. Should be pretty straightforward and if I come across any problems I'll definitely be posting them here.

Ahhhh, black magic indeed. So something like that is what miners use to power on multiple psu's at the same time too then?

Anywho, a little off topic. This is a cool project grsychkn, looking forward to the results.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I'll try to get both a picture of the currently prototype next to my corsair 750D and a virtual comparison against a model I have of the InWin 909. I'll try to get these posted today or tomorrow.

Grabbed some quick renders.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Looking to do a SFF watercooled Threadripper build in the near future with the Enermax LiqTech TR4 240mm AIO. Would be pretty fun with this case.
So I happen to have an Enermax 240mm AIO in my workstation at work (on a 1950X). I measured it this morning and unfortunately it won't fit into the S700. The vertical clearance for the block + tubing is a maximum of around 2.41" from the mainboard's PCB and with the tubing bent as tight as I could without creating kinks, I could only get it to clear around 2.77". This is going to be a problem with any AIO that features the tubes coming straight out of the block vertically with no swivel option. Something like the NZXT AIO should work fine as the inlet/outlet tubes are on a swivel and can be manipulated for vertical clearance much easier. I think the Thermaltake brand AIOs should also be fine but since I only have the initial prototype, I can't quite give exact numbers yet for clearance. I'm working every spare minute I have (which isn't much) to get the first revision of the prototype completed so I can send it off for fabrication. Hopefully I'll be done this weekend just in time to switch focus back over to the S401.

Reactions: E-Rod

E-Rod

Chassis Packer
May 23, 2018
Thanks for doing the measurements! I'm not married to the Enermax AIO (nor do I own one yet) so if a NZXT AIO fits, I'd happily use it. Though unfortunately it seems like there are few TR4 AIOs so this might be tricky.

Either way, pretty excited about the possibilities with this case.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks for doing the measurements! I'm not married to the Enermax AIO (nor do I own one yet) so if a NZXT AIO fits, I'd happily use it. Though unfortunately it seems like there are few TR4 AIOs so this might be tricky.

Either way, pretty excited about the possibilities with this case.

Just to set expecations: It will probably be September/October before the S700 is something I will be selling on my website. The prototypes cost a lot to make due to their complexity/size compared to the S401. That said, I'm always hopeful that the next prototype is the last before I can give a green light to produce them. If it takes two more prototypes it could be a while. However, I'm in the same boat as you because I've had my 1950X sitting on the shelf for 6 months while I work on this project. I'm still using a i7-3930k...

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
This project is not dead - it is just on hold until I get my ducks in a row with the S401. I will be submitting a request for the next revision sometime this weekend or next week.

I've changed the flex slot and now support two of them and I will be leveraging the design for the SSD/HDD stacker brackets I make for the S401 to help increase disk density. I also added the ability to extend the front out by about an inch to allow for larger motherboards - I won't say it will support E-ATX, but some may snugly fit. I've got a surprise I can't wait to show once I get this next revision made.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
This is what I intend on putting in the S700 for myself.

Dual water-cooled Epyc engineering samples (1.9Ghz base) with 32-cores each (64-cores, 128-threads total) and 64GB RAM. These will be paired with a WX9100 and will be my new CAD workstation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sashby and enricko7

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
This is what I intend on putting in the S700 for myself.

Dual-water cooled Epyc Engineering samples with 32-cores each (64-cores, 128-threads total) and 64GB RAM. These will be paired with a WX9100 and will be my new CAD workstation.

!!!!!

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
Right now I'm wanting to downsize my current storage server from a mid-tower to something like this. I'm looking to load up the back side with just HDDs without any GPU(s). Would this be a potential use case, or should start thinking about something else? I'm probably way ahead of myself before seeing the updated SDD/HDD stackers put in along with next revision.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Right now I'm wanting to downsize my current storage server from a mid-tower to something like this. I'm looking to load up the back side with just HDDs without any GPU(s). Would this be a potential use case, or should start thinking about something else? I'm probably way ahead of myself before seeing the updated SDD/HDD stackers put in along with next revision.

Right now, the design will support up to 6 x 3.5" HDDs with 3 sets of stackers. This is all preliminary though as the design is still changing but I will warn that the S700 will be more expensive than the S401. Because of the complex bends the two unibodies require (and I've thought about different fabrication techniques yet keep coming back to this design as my preferred), it will be in the neighborhood of $200. I have no fixed price on the stackers as I'm working with a different source for fabrication of those to reduce costs (currently formulating a quote for stainless steel). It will also not have a front panel mounted anything as there is no room (power button on top, no reset button right now either).

I have just added the ability to extend the front of the case for larger motherboards like that above, but it will limit the number of motherboard mounting points you can use. The standard ATX hole pattern is what will be available so in using an over-sized board, there may be a portion of the board that is left unmounted.

bran

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2018
It would probably be a good idea to accommodate 1 off the shelf AIO for TR4. Maybe the Enermax 240 TR4, if not the 360?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I purchased the Thermaltake Floe AIO Riing RGB 360 to test fit when I get the next prototype. The Enermax won't fit because the inlet & outlet hoses are not adjustable. It would have been nice if they allowed those to rotate for clearance but I know they didn't have my case design in mind when they made it.

I wanted to have the next revision submitted to the fabricator a week ago, but the S401 release has eaten up any free time I have. I'm hoping once I get the first batch of S401 units my time will free up a bit so I can focus again on the S700.

bran

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2018
I see what you mean now. That is indeed odd that Enermax didn't allow the tubing coming out of the pump some degrees of rotation. I think cooler master is coming out with a full size TR4 solution this year. Let's hope that one turns.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I still haven't submitted the latest design for the S700 to the shop so they can build the next prototype. The S401 has proven to be taking up way more time than I expected. I think I'll drop the pretense of getting the next prototype in the coming weeks to more realistically having one by Christmas. Some of the lessons I'm learning from the S401 apply directly to the S700 though so as I hone the process of making and selling it should also help me streamline the S700.

That said, I wanted to post an update that I just now received a few water pump models and I'm toying with the idea of including a pump/reservoir combo as an optional accessory at the time of purchase of the S700. The two brands I'm currently looking at are the bykski and freezemod waterpump/reservoir combos.

B-PMD3-RX parameters:
Signal Interface: Large 4Pin +4 P speed
Pump Type: Pmsm Pump
Drive method: Sine Wave
Drive Technology: Ultra durable PCB, solid capacitors, patch sensors
Load speed: Max5000rpm
Voltage power consumption: DC12V TDP10
Voltage range: 10V-15V
Output head: 6 meters
Maximum flow: 600L / H
Operating temperature: 4000rpm above 38°
Body material: ABS resin + glass fiber
Cover Type: Compatible with DDC cover
Reservoir Size: 66mm

Pump Specification:
Rate of flow: 800L/hour
Head of delivery: 4 m
Current rating: 0.7A
Voltage:7 V
Rated power :8 w
56 mm Reservoir *1
Remote controller *1 + Convert cable*1pcs + Water tank RGB lights *1 (For RGB version only)
AURA control cable*1+Water tank RGB lights *1 (For AURA version only)

I'd list the Bykski for $75USD and the FreezeMod $35USD. I would only offer one brand through my site though. Just curious what people thought. Also, I'll add that I believe there is room to fit two of these inside each S700 so if you wanted a separate custom loop for your GPU and CPU you should be able to do that.

3ller

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 21, 2018
I think you should use the space between the Mobo expansions slots And the lateral so you can install another GPU to do a possible sli setup you got enought space there and you can have Two vertical GPUs back to back.