Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
The Demciflex filters offer a non-ferrous version that basically includes a thin magnetic layer with adhesive on one side so you can apply their filters to non-ferrous materials (wood, plastic). It's indiscernible from the standard ferrous version (I think it only adds a fraction of a mm of thickness) and sticks very well.

To clarify: the non-ferrous product includes an adhesive magnetic strip so the filters can still be removed easily and re-installed onto the magnetic strip.

Oh. Well, problem solved then. Back to my regularly scheduled fawning over the wood panels. Thanks for the tip; I was imagining a world in which I'd have to route out a small channel to embed a thin strip of metal. At the same time, I was considering how much less structural rigidity the wooden panel would have when thrown in a travel case.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
At the same time, I was considering how much less structural rigidity the wooden panel would have when thrown in a travel case.

Having one example of a wooden panel I can say it's stronger than I expected, but probably not strong enough for travel. That said, I was thinking you could actually layer the vented steel panel underneath the wooden one during travel to provide support.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Having one example of a wooden panel I can say it's stronger than I expected, but probably not strong enough for travel. That said, I was thinking you could actually layer the vented steel panel underneath the wooden one during travel to provide support.

Hmm, that's a good idea. Shouldn't be too hard to acquire longer screws.

This is why you're the designer/builder extraodinaire and I'm the peasant consumer.

DSmithBYU

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
1. None of the 60mm fans will interfere with 3.5" HDDs when installed. For the "bottom" (GPU location) 60mm, you can use a 25mm thick fan whereas the 2x60mm fans at the top (Motherboard) have to be 15mm thick.
2. For the Demciflex filters, if you are going to place them over the large vented panel (CPU/GPU/PSU intake), I've been using these for mock-up purposes.
I see. Correct me on how this is done: it has to be 60x60x15 on the mobo side and 60x60x25 for the GPU/drive side?

Those Demciflex filters are good. I'll go for those!!

Wait! Stop! Hold out until they start releasing Mini Turing cards and enjoy mini-ITX ray tracing or whatever it is the chef is cooking over at Nvidia R&D (I get it, it'll probably take a long time before anyone figures out how to make mini Turing cards or even if it's possible, what with die size ostensibly being much larger than Pascal but, hey, a dream's a dream, ain't it?)
The plan is whatever Sub-$300 GPU that's gonna succeed the 1060.

Reactions: annasoh323

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Just a thought experiment - this case uses 60mm side fans. If it were enlarged such that it could use 80mm side fans, would it also be tall enough to accommodate a half height PCIe card?

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Just a thought experiment - this case uses 60mm side fans. If it were enlarged such that it could use 80mm side fans, would it also be tall enough to accommodate a half height PCIe card?

It would be close. I'd probably have to expand up to 90mm wide because of the mainboard standoffs and PCIe slot height. Of course, if I kept supporting full-size GPUs, this would increase the volume of the case by 20% (around 10L). If I dropped full-size GPU support, the volume would be much smaller of course (I'm guessing around 6L). I could even keep it at the current width (~68mm) and adjust it to support only half-height, full-length PCIe devices which would reduce the volume. No matter what, I probably won't be able to make this happen anytime soon - the S700 is my next project.

Another advantage would be larger CPU cooling support - which is a major concern of most buyers.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018

My contribution to your thought experiment: Since the fan-side panel appears to be a single flat panel, I would think it ought to be possible to install standoffs and longer screws to provide some additional clearance. This is based on my best interpretation of the prototype pics. My concern at that point would be balance since, especially with the metal side panel, the center of gravity would shift pretty heavily in that direction and it could be the literal downfall of your machine if the feet aren't wide enough. Still, since this is a thought experiment...

It would be close. I'd probably have to expand up to 90mm wide because of the mainboard standoffs and PCIe slot height. Of course, if I kept supporting full-size GPUs, this would increase the volume of the case by 20% (around 10L). If I dropped full-size GPU support, the volume would be much smaller of course (I'm guessing around 6L). I could even keep it at the current width (~68mm) and adjust it to support only half-height, full-length PCIe devices which would reduce the volume. No matter what, I probably won't be able to make this happen anytime soon - the S700 is my next project.

Another advantage would be larger CPU cooling support - which is a major concern of most buyers.

I would think such a redesigned product would warrant a new product line. S300 maybe (not sure I'm familiar with the background to your naming setup)? If I'm following along correctly, it might a bit of a strange product: SFX PSU + half-height PCIe card is a bit of an odd couple. Maybe for a high-power mini-ITX x299 system that doesn't have a large graphics workload? Or, perhaps next generation's half-height cards will be able to compute at an adequately high level?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016

My contribution to your thought experiment: Since the fan-side panel appears to be a single flat panel, I would think it ought to be possible to install standoffs and longer screws to provide some additional clearance. This is based on my best interpretation of the prototype pics. My concern at that point would be balance since, especially with the metal side panel, the center of gravity would shift pretty heavily in that direction and it could be the literal downfall of your machine if the feet aren't wide enough. Still, since this is a thought experiment...

I would think such a redesigned product would warrant a new product line. S300 maybe (not sure I'm familiar with the background to your naming setup)? If I'm following along correctly, it might a bit of a strange product: SFX PSU + half-height PCIe card is a bit of an odd couple. Maybe for a high-power mini-ITX x299 system that doesn't have a large graphics workload? Or, perhaps next generation's half-height cards will be able to compute at an adequately high level?

I was thinking the half height card would be used as a SATA expander to connect all those SSD/HDDs from post #73!

Reactions: annasoh323

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I was thinking the half height card would be used as a SATA expander to connect all those SSD/HDDs from post #73!

<rubs hands together> ...I like the way you think. <begins researching how to make a home server>

Even if the physical width of the case was sufficient, wouldn't you still need an anchor point for the PCIe card bracket? I'm not that familiar with SATA expansion cards but, in theory, for a SATA expansion card that was short enough, you could use the normal PCIe bracket that comes with the S401 and then still get many 2.5" drives installed in brackets. I wonder if @grsychckn would be able to make a half-width HDD bracket so that it could fit alongside a single-slot, short length SATA card. No idea how those brackets are mounted or which way the SATA cables would point; those are the potential problems with that idea.

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
<rubs hands together> ...I like the way you think. <begins researching how to make a home server>

Even if the physical width of the case was sufficient, wouldn't you still need an anchor point for the PCIe card bracket? I'm not that familiar with SATA expansion cards but, in theory, for a SATA expansion card that was short enough, you could use the normal PCIe bracket that comes with the S401 and then still get many 2.5" drives installed in brackets. I wonder if @grsychckn would be able to make a half-width HDD bracket so that it could fit alongside a single-slot, short length SATA card. No idea how those brackets are mounted or which way the SATA cables would point; those are the potential problems with that idea.

Half height ones are usually also short and fairly benign in terms of stress on the PCIe slot. I've used a few over the years for mSATA and M.2 SATA drives.

That said, if you have 12 SATA cables coming out of it, it might add some flex...

As far as home servers are concerned, I'm very happy with my unRaid setup in a more traditional Node 304 case. I think Silverstone also makes a nice mITX case that holds 6 3.5" HDDs if you want to go the simplified route.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

Indeed. Also, because the fasteners are all #6-32 based, any standard standoff could be used to extend the vented panel out and away from the case if you wanted more clearance. Given the weight of the case with components installed I don't think there is a large concern for instability unless the standoffs are over an inch.

]I would think such a redesigned product would warrant a new product line. S300 maybe (not sure I'm familiar with the background to your naming setup)? If I'm following along correctly, it might a bit of a strange product: SFX PSU + half-height PCIe card is a bit of an odd couple. Maybe for a high-power mini-ITX x299 system that doesn't have a large graphics workload? Or, perhaps next generation's half-height cards will be able to compute at an adequately high level?

You were following correctly and it would require a new product line. I've received several requests to change one dimension of my design to meet customers' needs but it's actually a lot harder to do than simply cutting off large portions of the case. Any dimension change can drastically effect hole locations and clearances if the references for locations change. Besides, I'm not going to introduce a new design until after I finish the S700.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Half height ones are usually also short and fairly benign in terms of stress on the PCIe slot. I've used a few over the years for mSATA and M.2 SATA drives.

That said, if you have 12 SATA cables coming out of it, it might add some flex...

As far as home servers are concerned, I'm very happy with my unRaid setup in a more traditional Node 304 case. I think Silverstone also makes a nice mITX case that holds 6 3.5" HDDs if you want to go the simplified route.

There are few options out there for supporting more than 6 SATA drives. I've been researching how one could leverage 20+ drives in the S401 and it seems there will need to be some Tom-Foolery to make it work. SAS/SATA Extenders might be an option but a SAS/SATA RAID controller is still required on top of the extender that would need to be installed. On top of that, because the S401 is so thin (~68mm) a standard half-height PCIe card will be difficult to find a home for. I'm currently investigating some 1U server controllers that would greatly reduce the required space but compatibility might be a problem.

Simply put, the 2.5" and 3.5" stacking brackets were an afterthought for the S401. Besides, I've just been quoted the price of over $5 for production of a single bracket (2 required for a stack). I'm looking into other fabricators and options to reduce the cost but it is possible I won't be making them at all unless I can sell them for $5 or less with some margin for me when it's done.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: Laser Cutter has arrived and I've begun setting it up. I hope to have some samples done this weekend to show off on one of the S401 prototypes.

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

This sizing could possibly be more in line with the Modivio xCase LE. (Which would be sweet if done in steel.... Like your case)

it would be absolutely awesome if you could do something like this down the line! :D

Id be all over the xCase LE if it was metal. The plastic Case without the riser cable(+$35-$40) and power button(+$20)is $160. I just don't think that it's worth that much. :/ Especially when you made your last one salvo 400 in aluminum for the same price. (Even though it was a tad smaller which would be more in line with their $150 xCase L).

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Quick update as I cut two samples of acrylic. The dark one is the "smoke" color and didnt't turn out great as the laser settings still needed adjustment (you'll notice there are hexes left in because it didn't cut through). I'll take better pictures later this weekend.

Is your logo etched into the acrylic? Or is that a sticker or something?

Reactions: grsychckn

Jaxel

Average Stuffer
Jun 10, 2018
Any consideration of putting microphone/headphone front panel connectors in?

Or having two USB-C ports? (I'm OCD, I don't like the imbalance of two different sized ports)