Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update to say I finally posted my C7Cu review here. Please enjoy, ask questions, and correct me if you think something is wrong!

I'll be sending out this review as part of my next newsletter update later tonight or tomorrow, so if you've signed up for the newletter and don't receive it by Tuesday, please let me know.

MoarCoffeePlzzz

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 2, 2015
Buying one of these asap. This is the exact case I have been looking for ever since I missed the Sentry. Is your target time still the end of July?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Buying one of these asap. This is the exact case I have been looking for ever since I missed the Sentry. Is your target time still the end of July?

I'm glad to hear your excitement! End of July would currently be earliest for pre-orders right now. Prototype revision 5 should be done and in my hands end of this week or early next. I'm assuming the design will be complete after this revision and I'll be able to submit an official order to the fabricator. Of course, I'll have to wait and see if there's anything that needs addressing.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Update to say I finally posted my C7Cu review here. Please enjoy, ask questions, and correct me if you think something is wrong!

I'll be sending out this review as part of my next newsletter update later tonight or tomorrow, so if you've signed up for the newletter and don't receive it by Tuesday, please let me know.

Very helpful write up, seems about as expected with others have been testing. Method seems fine to me, though I'm not a testing guru.

Though the full size NF-A9 won't fit, perhaps the slim 14mm version will? As long as it doesn't perform much worse than the stock fan, I'm thinking it might be a worthwhile swap for noise reasons.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Hi grsychckn, only a question, is there much clearance in your opinion for decimflex filters to be put inside the case?

Moreover, are you planning to run a test for the Temps? I'm eager to se how these fans can handle air flow!
Thank you!

I received the demciflex filters but there is a clearance issue when they are installed on the inside. It appears the tab that is over top of the PSU sandwiches the silicon edges of the filter between itself and the vented side panel. For this reason, I don't think the demciflex filters can be installed inside the side panel.

It might be possible to find a way to permanently glue a filter to the inside of the side panel though. Since the panel would have to be removed for cleaning even with the Demciflex filters installed, in the future I *might* be able to offer a laser-cut mesh filter that could be glued to the side panel and then when you want to clean it you can remove the panel and wash it or just wipe it down. It will take time to develop this feature though - so please don't expect this at the time I begin offering online orders.

I have a list of accessories I'd like to make available but won't be able to get started on those until I can start selling cases. Examples of some accessories I'm thinking of would be things like this internal vented panel and a removable handle.

Reactions: Aranel

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Revision 5 done. Should be in my hands by EOW.

Edit: Also just paid $500 for screws.

Last edited:

Aranel

Cable Smoosher
Jan 5, 2018
I received the demciflex filters but there is a clearance issue when they are installed on the inside. It appears the tab that is over top of the PSU sandwiches the silicon edges of the filter between itself and the vented side panel. For this reason, I don't think the demciflex filters can be installed inside the side panel.

It might be possible to find a way to permanently glue a filter to the inside of the side panel though. Since the panel would have to be removed for cleaning even with the Demciflex filters installed, in the future I *might* be able to offer a laser-cut mesh filter that could be glued to the side panel and then when you want to clean it you can remove the panel and wash it or just wipe it down. It will take time to develop this feature though - so please don't expect this at the time I begin offering online orders.

I have a list of accessories I'd like to make available but won't be able to get started on those until I can start selling cases. Examples of some accessories I'm thinking of would be things like this internal vented panel and a removable handle.

Yeah I saw the image on the newsletter, am I wrong or there is an image that displays the case with the filter on the inside? Also I understand the problem concerning the tab, but would it be feasible to find a workaround to fit the filter in the case, like placing it between the tab and the psu (or is it the plastic too thick?) or ordering a custom filter shaped in order not to overlay the tab?

However I'm happy to see the project in its final stage and I'm starting to feel hyped!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Yeah I saw the image on the newsletter, am I wrong or there is an image that displays the case with the filter on the inside? Also I understand the problem concerning the tab, but would it be feasible to find a workaround to fit the filter in the case, like placing it between the tab and the psu (or is it the plastic too thick?) or ordering a custom filter shaped in order not to overlay the tab?

However I'm happy to see the project in its final stage and I'm starting to feel hyped!

You are correct that in the newsletter there is an image with the filters on the inside. I only realized the interference after I took that picture. It would be my supposition that you could still buy the standard filters and notch (with scissors) out the part that interferes. I'll try that this weekend as I ordered 4 filters to have a few as spares. The only other problem is that the magnets are slightly visible along the middle of the vented panel when installed this way. Unfortunately, I can't really do much about it because with oversized GPUs the vents need to be where they are.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I wanted to add that revision 5 is in my hands and everything looks great as far as fitment is concerned - except for the front USB panel. I've already made what I believe are the necessary adjustments (0.04" in one direction, 0.03" in another) but I'm torn between making the order and getting just one more prototype to confirm my changes. I'm going to send a message to the machine shop today and ask what they would recommend because I'm sure they will be producing in batches, not everything as a whole. So if there needs to be some massaging on a batch of these to get the fitment right I may be ok with that. Update to come either this weekend or early next week.

Reactions: Aranel

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: Order will be placed early next week and I should have an idea about when they can be delivered. I'll try to send this information out on the newsletter as soon as I get it.

DSmithBYU

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
grsychckn, an inquiry on revision 5: how much clearance is there from the rear motherboard to the case's bottom when laid flat?

I'm still vested in looking for M.2 SSD thermal pads/coolers that can be used for the rear M.2 SSD between the gaps.

I'm hoping I can use Gelid's Subzero M.2 Cooling Kit, or Silverstone's STT-TP01 Thermal Pad.

Also, for reference, I'm planning on getting MSI's B360I ITX mobo. Here's a picture of its rear.

All that said, can it be done??

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
grsychckn, an inquiry on revision 5: how much clearance is there from the rear motherboard to the case's bottom when laid flat?

I'm still vested in looking for M.2 SSD thermal pads/coolers that can be used for the rear M.2 SSD between the gaps.

I'm hoping I can use Gelid's Subzero M.2 Cooling Kit, or Silverstone's STT-TP01 Thermal Pad.

Also, for reference, I'm planning on getting MSI's B360I ITX mobo. Here's a picture of its rear.

All that said, can it be done??

It can be done. I'm going to give some measurements I've taken from revision 4 prototype as revision 5 needed to be shipped back to the fabricator so they can confirm my adjustments for the front USB panel fitment.

Rear of mainboard to inside of side panel: 10.7mm (.421")

Measurements with Installed components
I'm using an ASROCK X350 fatality with a Toshiba 512GB m.2 (single sided) in my prototype and I'm quite sure the following measurements will be very similar to yours.
From memory chip surface to inside of side panel: 6.35mm +/- 0.05mm (0.25")

Note: I've had to enlarge the back side cutout to accomodate clearance for some m.2 locations. I initially based my hole on an optional corsair mITX conversion kit so I assume it to be standard (and maybe it was at the time). Regardless, the back panel hole has been opened up by 0.283" more to give more clearance for m.2 drives located in this position. I could see this potentially being a problem with some motherboards as the m.2 location is not standard. If there is a clearance problem with your m.2, the following measurement is what you should use:

From memory chip surface to inside of main case: 4.98mm +/- 0.05mm (0.196")

Based on these numbers and the fact that my 5mm thermal pad I purchased is not thick enough to contact the side panel, I would feel safe saying anything with a total thickness of 6mm or less will fit inside the case no problem. I wanted to have the memory chips contact the side panel because it is such a large surface area I believe one could get much better cooling from that than adding a heatsink but I don't have time to run these tests right now. I'm focused on getting supplies and reading my garage for the laser cutter that will arrive in a few weeks.

Because most of the m.2 heatsinks *seem* to be around 3mm in thickness with included 2mm thermal pad, they should all fit assuming your m.2 has clearance through the cutout on the back of the case.

Reactions: DSmithBYU

Sahaj

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2017
Quick pic of the thumbscrews I purchased to use with the stands. No tools required.

Nice choice! It's been so long since I've looked at the stand on the S400 - any way we can achieve the same effect on that case if we buy the right thumbscrews?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Nice choice! It's been so long since I've looked at the stand on the S400 - any way we can achieve the same effect on that case if we buy the right thumbscrews?

The S400 uses #6-32 screws for the stand so any thumbscrew you find in that size should work. The limit might be the thickness of the panels though as the original screws included with the S400 were 1/2" in length. It's hard to find thumbscrews with such a long length. Tonight I will try to use these screws on my personal S400 and see if they fit. If so, I'll post here and send you a PM with a link to where you can buy these screws.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
The S400 uses #6-32 screws for the stand so any thumbscrew you find in that size should work. The limit might be the thickness of the panels though as the original screws included with the S400 were 1/2" in length. It's hard to find thumbscrews with such a long length. Tonight I will try to use these screws on my personal S400 and see if they fit. If so, I'll post here and send you a PM with a link to where you can buy these screws.

S400 Only!
I tried the 5/16" screws I plan on using with the S401 on the S400 I have at home and the threads aren't long enough to grab onto the nut inside the case. The following thumbscrews on Amazon *should* work.

thumbscrew 1

thumbscrew 2

Basically, any #6-32 thumbscrew should work with the S400 as long as the thread length is around 1/2".

batterybull

Trash Compacter
Jul 28, 2018
planning a scratch build with essentially the same layout but thicker (to house a c1 and morpheus), so very interested in your progress!
(unless you already made or are planning a thicker version?)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
planning a scratch build with essentially the same layout but thicker (to house a c1 and morpheus), so very interested in your progress!
(unless you already made or are planning a thicker version?)

Excellent - good luck with your build. Unfortunately, I will not be making a thicker version.