S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 14, 2017
Should I color match mine as well? Lamo

That grabber blue would honestly look amazing on the case!

Reactions: Biowarejak

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
@Josh | NFC Any idea when new acrylic 3D bezels will be in stock?

Also, with the Zotac Mini 1080 installed along with the DC jack, does the GPU tilt at an angle very ever so slightly? I'm watching your install video and it seems to (as does mine). Maybe some others can chime in as well.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC Any idea when new acrylic 3D bezels will be in stock?

Also, with the Zotac Mini 1080 installed along with the DC jack, does the GPU tilt at an angle very ever so slightly? I'm watching your install video and it seems to (as does mine). Maybe some others can chime in as well.

Humm, I made a bunch of hardwood ones but the acrylic sold out. Figures XD

Your second question: it depends. Graphics cards and motherboards aren't perfectly square, and this makes the GPU lean a bit sometimes. I just did a 1080ti build with no lean, and a 1080 build with dramatic lean. You can actually observe this in a normal ATX chassis with a square. It's known as GPU sag, but it's not solely the weight that does this (obviously not in the s4)

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I had a little lean it came from my sleeves cables pushing against the bottom side. But as josh has said it depend on the motherboard too and how aligned the slot is. Usually it is unnoticeable. But the gpu as snug as a baby’s blanket in there. Gtx 1080 mini that is

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
So I did some stuff to my S4 Mini, Post-build mods Update!

[PART 3] Inner Chassis Filing, Front panel tape, smaller wifi antennas, better rubber feet, new carrying backpack! in post #62

IF you guys have any feedback or suggestions, PLEASE share! :D

Up next... I've had the JB Weld instant epoxy sitting in my room, waiting to do the "Epoxy Mod" on my HDPLEX-300 coils, to minimize coil whine on it.

I'll be posting before and after videos of it's coil whine while running synthetics and a demanding game, once I have time to sit and do it. I'm a bit nervous about it, so I'll be reading the documentation from the @Zero who did it a few months back.

Last edited:

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
So I did some stuff to my S4 Mini, Post-build mods Update!

[PART 3] Inner Chassis Filing, Front panel tape, smaller wifi antennas, better rubber feet, new carrying backpack! in post #62

Up next... I've had the JB Weld instant epoxy sitting in my room, waiting to do the "Epoxy Mod" on my HDPLEX-300 coils, to minimize coil whine on it.

I'll be posting before and after videos of it's coil whine while running synthetics and a demanding game, once I have time to sit and do it. I'm a bit nervous about it, so I'll be reading the documentation from the last guy who did it a few months back.
Nervous about what? Just dump it on those whiny coils :D

EDIT: i searched for pics of my hdplex as i dumped epoxy on them. Didnt find any. Only thing you have to look for: plug connectors into the hdplex as you apply the epoxy, as it could happen that a drop will drip into one and its really tricky to get the epoxy out of the connector.

Also put a paperstripe between the coil and the connector so if the runny epoxy drips there you wont have any mess.

Dump a lot epoxy on them so they are covered, but do it in stages, as the epoxy is very runny and it will leak to the ground.

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Asus Z370 ITX gaming, and ASRock Z370 non-gaming, are in stock at NewEgg.com

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119036&cm_re=z370-_-13-119-036-_-Product

8700k was listed at $370 on Amazon and $380 on NewEgg, but they already sold out. You can track the stock here: http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/processors/intel/
welp, looks like my 7700k/1080 mini/HDPLEX-300 S4 Mini will be dwarfed by the newer 8700k/1080ti/HDPLEX-400 S4 Mini's coming up! I don't mind not being on top anymore. :) Yay for hardware iteration and technological progress! I've stretched the limits of my build so I'm happy with it, once I do the coil whine mod then I'll be satisfied.

Just know yalls 8700k owners will absolutely need to delid them to keep decent temps, from what all the reviews have shown. And your NHL9i's... well, Noctua better start designing a better SFF cooler for these bigger TDP CPUs.

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
Asus Z370 ITX gaming, and ASRock Z370 non-gaming, are in stock at NewEgg.com

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119036&cm_re=z370-_-13-119-036-_-Product

8700k was listed at $370 on Amazon and $380 on NewEgg, but they already sold out. You can track the stock here: http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/processors/intel/

Nice to see the ROG Strix Z370i boards have the same 8/24 pin and sata locations as the ROG Strix Z/H270i boards. That makes ordering custom cables so much easier without having to re-measure distances.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Yeah all of the Z370 motherboards seem to have completely identical layouts to the Z270 counterparts, guess that saves them money on retooling.

I can't believe it's taking so long for VLP DDR4 non-ECC ram, and Cryorig announced a copper C7 back in May... everyone's dragging their feet on premium SFF I guess.

Samsquamptch

Trash Compacter
Jun 22, 2016
So, I know this has probably been answered in the last 199 pages, but will there ever be a possibility of having a c14 cutout so we can roll with internal psu's and not have to mod the case?

Reactions: AleksandarK

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
C14 is HUGE tho. I think S4 was built with external brick in mind.
Having AC outlet gives the opposite impression which will surely ruins people expectation when it doesn't deliver.
Putting a brick internally will remain a niche in S4 IMO.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Though Josh did say something about redesigning the power connector area, didn't he?

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Anyone know if there's any brackets/hardware I can buy to mount a 2011 cooler to 1151? I'm probably just going to use zip ties but if a bracket exists I could go with that.

Going to try to see if I can mount a Dynatron T318 instead of my C7 heat sink: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A21361W/

If I can get it to fit without hitting any components, then I'd have a 27mm high all-copper vapor chamber, with plenty of room to keep using my 140x13mm Cryorig fan.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Anyone know if there's any brackets/hardware I can buy to mount a 2011 cooler to 1151? I'm probably just going to use zip ties but if a bracket exists I could go with that.

Going to try to see if I can mount a Dynatron T318 instead of my C7 heat sink: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A21361W/

If I can get it to fit without hitting any components, then I'd have a 27mm high all-copper vapor chamber, with plenty of room to keep using my 140x13mm Cryorig fan.
Could probably 3D Print an adapter :)