S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 16, 2017
Just received my G-Unique power supply from guryhwa, and it's working like a champ with my Zotac 1080 TI in my Ryzen 7 1700 build. Using the limited edition archdemon with his modded brick. Doing an overnight stress test outside the case before I stuff everything into the S4 Mini. I think someone else already posted that the PSU was working with his 1080 TI; I'm another success story.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Just received my G-Unique power supply from guryhwa, and it's working like a champ with my Zotac 1080 TI in my Ryzen 7 1700 build. Using the limited edition archdemon with his modded brick. Doing an overnight stress test outside the case before I stuff everything into the S4 Mini. I think someone else already posted that the PSU was working with his 1080 TI; I'm another success story.

Awesome! Great info. Would love to see pictures of this beast.

I just finished my first 1080ti build, and I would definitely rate it as the most difficult MINI build I've done yet to get everything clean.

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016

I just finished my first 1080ti build, and I would definitely rate it as the most difficult MINI build I've done yet to get everything clean.

Great pics as always @Josh | NFC. Do you have a spec list or video of this build? Interested to see what power supply you used and how it handles the hardware :cool:

Reactions: Biowarejak

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
DANG! That sucks bro... welp. Drop your OC? try that?

Tried that already, only thing that works for me so far are to disable XMP entirely, but that really sucks. Unfortunately, it seems like a very well-documented problem over on the ROG forums. Nobody has been able to find a pattern nor a solution yet though.

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017

Wow that looks great!
which of those PSUs ended up working best? I didn't recognize the smaller one.
Did that new power jack cause any issues with the GPU install?

Reactions: royalba94

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017

A parts list and some photos of the innards would be awesome!

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

OKAYYYY That powdercoar and that Carbon Fiber 1-peice Dinoc front panel sticker look FANTASTIC!

I also can't want to see what specs list and video you have for us! :D The power plug looks HUGE!
Tried that already, only thing that works for me so far are to disable XMP entirely, but that really sucks. Unfortunately, it seems like a very well-documented problem over on the ROG forums. Nobody has been able to find a pattern nor a solution yet though.
Dang, that REALLY sucks @spintje I'm really sorry to hear your XMP is bugging out like that. My XMP doesnt bug out at all. If i reset the mobo's BIOS i just enable XMP, disable any ASUS CPU auto power things, set the vcore of the CPU to 1.8 and the overclock on the CPU to 4.5 and i set it to "Sync all cores" in the BIOS, literally that's it.... Hmmm. are you sure you arent doing anythign else? try a BIOS reset and see which specific setting it is? Maybe manually set your RAM to its rated XMP setting and see one-by-one which setting it may be?

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I forget, did you all recommend not using a hdd above the gpu in your s4 minis?

I don't own one but I personally wouldn't mainly due to gpu temps and hdd temps just doesn't sound like a good mix
Check my build, my 1080 is sitting with 2x 2.5in HDDs on the back of it. No heat issues, the drives never go over 22 and 32c respectively. the 22c drive is the slim 2TB Seagate Firecuda, with a small airgap between it and the back of the GPU's backplate, the 32c drive is the 5TB Seagate, touching the back of the GPU's backplate, no airgap.

the 22c drive is near the front of the case/rear of GPU, 32c is near the back of the case, front of the GPU outputs.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 16, 2017
A parts list and some photos of the innards would be awesome!

Here you go:

MB: BIOSTAR X370GTN
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB 3200
SSD: SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB
GFX: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Mini

TL;DR summary - assembly 90% done, thermals suck with cover on, have some minor issues to address, still love the case and the PSU.

Wall-o-text:

I started assembly, and I think I made every mistake possible, at least twice. Having said that I did get everything into the case tonight and I definitely have some tweaking to do. The CPU is pretty cool (high 60s) but the 1080 TI is hitting max temp pretty quickly, and the clocks come down quite a bit (1600 ish, compared to 1800ish outside the case). I played with the GPU fan curves but the card just is way too loud with the fans over 70%, so I need to add some supplemental air. I have some Noctua 40mm and 60mm fans that I will play with to see if they can bring any additional cooling onto the card.

I'll send pics once I get some of the wiring cleaned up, looks horrible right now.

One issue I need to solve is I am getting some GPU sag (i plan to use the unit horizontally), which results in the fan near the front bezel hitting the metal/bezel. I can manually adjust it and it stays in place, but moving it and it will sag again (not a lot, just enough for interference to happen). I will try some strategically placed foam inserts and some double sided tape so they don't move around.

Feet for the case is a must if using a hot card like the TI, I had the S4 laying on the motherboard box for some testing and the card throttled all the way back to default clock speed of 1620! I missed out on Josh's machined feet so I picked up some speaker feet, and I'm playing with mounting options; I want something that doesn't require me to take the case covers off to add or remove the feet, so more double sided tape! Love the stuff.

I used a kill-a-watt meter to see what I'm pulling under stress, depending on the test it's between 380 watts and 450 watts (yes I know, it's not going to show my spikes). I noticed my brick was getting pretty toasty so I let it run and the brick looks like it hit thermal limits and shutdown after an hour. It didn't appear to be due to power draw itself, but it's hard to tell. I checked my order and it looks like I ordered the wrong brick (he has several). I've sent in an order for his best brick which is supposed to support 450 watts.

I view this as my issue, not the PSU/brick's fault. For now I'm going to try slapping some thermal tape/heatsinks and a fan on the brick and see if I can bleed off enough of the heat to make a difference.

Now, having said ALL that, I'm not getting the same amount of pull when playing games, just the synthetics, so I'll do more long term testing this weekend based on how I plan to use the system (portable Oculus Rift VR system, stuffing the S4 and the VR gear in a Pelican).

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
Check my build, my 1080 is sitting with 2x 2.5in HDDs on the back of it. No heat issues, the drives never go over 22 and 32c respectively. the 22c drive is the slim 2TB Seagate Firecuda, with a small airgap between it and the back of the GPU's backplate, the 32c drive is the 5TB Seagate, touching the back of the GPU's backplate, no airgap.

the 22c drive is near the front of the case/rear of GPU, 32c is near the back of the case, front of the GPU outputs.

Thanks, it's been awhile so I needed a refresher. I'll be sticking a firecudda in mine as well, along side the trusty ssd. I'd buy another SSD if they didn't cost 2 of your youngest children.

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
Does anyone know if you can assemble a build without the silver outside casing of the shell? I wanted to send those 2 pieces out to powdercoating but was wondering if I could still complete the build in the meantime.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Does anyone know if you can assemble a build without the silver outside casing of the shell? I wanted to send those 2 pieces out to powdercoating but was wondering if I could still complete the build in the meantime.
I don't see why not