S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016
Wow, my apologies, I actually did scrape it before I posted, turns out I didn't scrape enough to get through the thick silver plating!

That's really cool that you are using much higher quality components than anyone would ever expect in a PSU. Extra-thick PCB, silver-plated copper, tantalum capacitors, Teflon and silicone insulation. Talk about exceeding expectations!

I used a simple piece of black gaffer's tape to cover up the LED so now it's a 10/10 PSU for me :)
thank you ,now i am happy again~
yes,it is smart simply cover the LED indicator with TAPE

Todayican2

Trash Compacter
Feb 18, 2017
I gotta say That Guryhwa unit with the Meanwell is looking REALLY good from where I sit. I spoke with Gury a few days ago about grabbing one for my 3 liter 1080ti build. He's spending a bit of time with family so couldnt ship for a bit, and I needed something fast so I grabbed 2 pico 160s for a 1080ti build, AND an Athena 400w flex just in case.

I only have a week or so in the states to get the thing assembled, tested etc beginning Aug 13th (I'm an American living in the Philippines and I usually do any building there because exotic parts are a bit hard to come by.

Every cubic milometer counts for this build, and I really wanted to forego the external brick and get under 3 liters, Im wondering now if I should have waited for Gury?

So (as a guy who loves to draw things out, but isnt much good at electronic fiddling, Athena and deal with the wiring loom, Picos and deal with the bricks, or Gury and wait a little bit? :-)

Reactions: Al Hoff

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
This is gonna be a semi-odd question but does anyone know the name of the wrap on the third S4 Mini on Josh's website? I don't know the name and I want to make sure I order the right one today.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
This is gonna be a semi-odd question but does anyone know the name of the wrap on the third S4 Mini on Josh's website? I don't know the name and I want to make sure I order the right one today.

Even I don't know because the vendor hasn't finished the template maker yet.

Can you screenshot it and send me a picture? I'm ordering more stuff today.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
30mm. I should probably put that up on the site...

@Zero Nice! I have the HEP-320-12A. Haven't got much use out of it as the HDPLEX 19V DC-DC psus replaced the Pico for my workflow, but maybe there will be a home for it in the future with a G-Unique ;)

How is the HEP-320-12A working out for you? It seems like it's about the right size to bolt on to one of the edges of the case if you wanted to keep things all-in-one. I'm curious if it is actually current limited past 320 watts, or if it will run over spec with OK ripple as long as the thermals aren't nuts. Seems like the kind of thing we'd need JonnyGuru to test out, heh.

From the Volta chips that already exist ($100,000 cards sold to data centers) they are claiming they are 30% more power efficient than Pascal... if that holds true for the GTX 1180ti, then it would have a TDP around 175 watts, which means the HEP-320-12A could handle that and an i7 easily.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Whups, nevermind, I keep forgetting that the 12-volt Meanwells use weird nomenclature.

24-volt Meanwells actually put out the wattage they are named for (for example the HEP-600-24 puts out 600 watts) but the "600" 12v only does 480 watts, and the "320" only does 264 watts.

Also something else I noticed with the HEP-600-12 is that it pulls 6.6 watts when no load is applied, which is very high for standby. Technically, I am supposed to wire up a "remote off" switch to it, which will then put it in a real standby mode where it pulls under 0.5 watts, but I'm betting this wouldn't be an option if I wanted to sleep the PC. Most PSUs will let you sleep a PC and be under one watt. So that's something to consider if you're an efficiency nut like me. I'm emailing Meanwell to ask if that is in spec.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
How is the HEP-320-12A working out for you? It seems like it's about the right size to bolt on to one of the edges of the case if you wanted to keep things all-in-one. I'm curious if it is actually current limited past 320 watts, or if it will run over spec with OK ripple as long as the thermals aren't nuts. Seems like the kind of thing we'd need JonnyGuru to test out, heh.

From the Volta chips that already exist ($100,000 cards sold to data centers) they are claiming they are 30% more power efficient than Pascal... if that holds true for the GTX 1180ti, then it would have a TDP around 175 watts, which means the HEP-320-12A could handle that and an i7 easily.

Well, I haven't done a ton of testing since I've switched over to 19v systems completely, but I have run a 6700K and Gigabyte 1070 system on it and it saiiilllleeddd! Plus its small and bolts to the back of your desk beautifully and looks awesome.

I tried taking it apart, but it's impossible. The entire interior is filled with a thermal caulking! Truly a heavy duty unit.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
if that holds true for the GTX 1180ti, then it would have a TDP around 175 watts

I wouldn't hold my breath for the 1180ti being at 175W. If anything they'll probably stock clock it higher to get closer to 250W where the current unit comfortably sits.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
I wouldn't hold my breath for the 1180ti being at 175W. If anything they'll probably stock clock it higher to get closer to 250W where the current unit comfortably sits.

Well, maybe around 200w, but you can only clock the reference chips so high. Chip makers have to consider for the worst case scenarios (people using the cards in high ambient room temps, dusty environments, shitty PSUs, and then figure out how high they can clock while staying as far as possible from stability issues. Because when Joe Schmoe has his card locking up he's going to return/RMA it and that costs a lot more money to chip makers and AIBs then just leaving the clocks lower. That's why the current crop of NVidia cards have 200+ mhz of overclocking headroom while stuff like my RX 480 only had about 70mhz of headroom; AMD was forced to clock high to stay competitive on performance, and it is not a good corner to be backed in to, because they have more RMAs clocking it that close.

Remember too that Volta is yet another die shrink. Every die shrink increases efficiency but reduces overclocking headroom overall, as a matter of physics.

m_power20

Trash Compacter
May 16, 2017
Thanks for the heads up, dudes. I guess I'll be going with a Meanwell unit, since it clears 400W and the HD Plex DC-DC is 400W. Question for @Josh | NFC: Is it possible to make the 3D bezel (to accomodate a GTX 1080Ti) out of the same material as the standard bezel. I like the bezel my unit came with, especially how it wraps around the bottom to the back. Actually, now that I think about it, I really like the wood ones you make as well, I'd just really like it to wrap around. Is it possible to commission one from you, a one-off?

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
I am one of those thirteenish, looking forward to getting it and appreciate the timely response to all my questions. Although I'll probably be wait for dan's sff heatsink for it. I think it was compatible for the s4
I thought that thing was too tall and only worked with low profile ram then?
KMPKT was working on a all copper one that would fit in the Intel foot print that sounded very promising.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
KMPKT was working on a all copper one that would fit in the Intel foot print that sounded very promising.

Just as a mini update, this project is coming along quite well. We've settled on a base design and have just hashed out the simulation parameters. Will be adding variables such as thermal paste and getting the contact surface size dialled in. That being said, early results have been extremely encouraging.

m_power20

Trash Compacter
May 16, 2017
Just as a mini update, this project is coming along quite well. We've settled on a base design and have just hashed out the simulation parameters. Will be adding variables such as thermal paste and getting the contact surface size dialled in. That being said, early results have been extremely encouraging.
I would love to use this solution in my build, will this be available by year's end? Where can I see your other products?

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017

Excited to see the results! If you need any testers/early adopters let us know (coughs)
But yea, if this can even beat the Noctua by 2-3 degrees I'd be happy and on board.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I would love to use this solution in my build, will this be available by year's end? Where can I see your other products?

I am hopeful for year's end, but I've got a long way to go and it will depend considerably on the manufacturability of my heatsink once we've finalized the design. As far as other products, the Dynamo Mini 160W DC-DC PSU is complete and is basically an HDPlex 160W DC-ATX with my custom heatsink on it. The Dynamo 360W DC-ATX is currently in production. Once I have final production models of each, I will release pricing and photos/specs etc. I will open sales as soon as the units hit the warehouse and are available to sell.