S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

EM98xXkillerXx

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2016
So, I'm at my wits end. Is there any way I can widen the Noctua NH-L9a coolers attachment brackets about 2 mm or so, so that it's compatible with AM4? I've been without a computer the past few days and I leave pretty soon so my build needs to bee finished, but the AM4 bracket hasn't even been shipped! I need a fix ASAP, so if you guys can think of anyway I can attach this damn cooler and finish up my build, please LET ME KNOW

It says there's no tracking info too, RIP

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
So, I'm at my wits end. Is there any way I can widen the Noctua NH-L9a coolers attachment brackets about 2 mm or so, so that it's compatible with AM4? I've been without a computer the past few days and I leave pretty soon so my build needs to bee finished, but the AM4 bracket hasn't even been shipped! I need a fix ASAP, so if you guys can think of anyway I can attach this damn cooler and finish up my build, please LET ME KNOW

It says there's no tracking info too, RIP

Zip ties. It will work.temporarily.

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
Hey @Josh | NFC curious what size vandal switch fits width and depth wise using the normal bezel/2D bezel?
Eyeballing a RGB one that might plug into the Asus Aura header on the Z270I board.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Guryhwa's PSU arrived and I unboxed it:

I told him I was using my own Meanwell PSU so he was kind enough to let me buy a power cable cheaply that he unsoldered from one of his own PSUs. His modded Dell bricks are probably a better value than a $200 Meanwell, but I already owned this PSU so no sense buying another. He also included his S4 Mini BTO (built to order) input jack, which screws to the S4 DC input mounting holes and sits on the outside of the case.

Here is the first test run:

I overclocked my Founder's Edition 1080ti to 120% power target and ran heaven benchmark. I was pulling over 400 watts for ten minutes straight, and the Pico PSU stayed cool to the touch the entire time, even without heatsinks! Guryhwa's secret sauce seems to be that since his PSU receives a 12v input, it can simply pass it along to the CPU/GPU after smoothing it with its high quality tantalum capacitors. This avoids the waste heat associated with convering say, a 19v source down to 12v.

Here is the 480 watt, 12v meanwell power supply I'm using to run this. It is pretty big (I placed a quarter on it for scale) and heavy, and $200 bucks, but it is dead silent and gets only warm to the touch at full load because it is so efficient:

After everything tested out fine, I actually went and de-soldered the SATA power plugs from the Pico PSU (I don't need them as my motherboard supports two M.2 drives). So now I have a very tidy look going, and I freed up a ton of room:

All in all I'm thrilled with this PSU. No coil whine and no heat at all from it, and I had spikes up to 420 watts with my overclock. The build quality is top-notch as well. The price is excellent for what I got.

My only small nitpicks are:

- I wish there was a way to disable the blue/purple LED that stays on when the PC is off (I use it in a bedroom and hate blue LEDs at night)

- The CPU/GPU/SATA cables are silver-plated copper. It looks pretty cool in person, but silver doesn't really match most case color schemes. [edit: removed incorrect info on wiring composition]

Fortunately both the LED and the silver wiring can be easily covered up with gaffer's tape or other easy DIY coverings.

I'm rating this 9.9/10 all things considered. The only way it could be better is with a small toggle switch to turn the LED off instead of relying on black gaffer's tape to cover it.

Does that external jack fit with the wrap-around bezel?

EDIT: I see it has a rounded profile, the jack is supposed to sit just above the screws for the GPU? I think you have it flipped around.

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Does that external jack fit with the wrap-around bezel?

EDIT: I see it has a rounded profile, the jack is supposed to sit just above the screws for the GPU? I think you have it flipped around.
I'd assume it needs a 3D bezel or no bezel for it to work as its exterior mounts would be overlapped by the wrap-around. Hm, and yes, it does appear to be flipped...

Reactions: Biowarejak

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I'd assume it needs a 3D bezel or no bezel for it to work as its exterior mounts would be overlapped by the wrap-around. Hm, and yes, it does appear to be flipped...
I believe it's rounded to fit inside the rounded portion on the back of the wrap around. So basically in other words yes I believe he has it on backwards

Last edited:

Raybird

Chassis Packer
Jun 30, 2017
Its finally here! Yess and it looks beautiful! However I am a tad stuck I'm not quite sure what screws I use to install the power adapter plug in the back could anyone clarify this for me?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Its finally here! Yess and it looks beautiful! However I am a tad stuck I'm not quite sure what screws I use to install the power adapter plug in the back could anyone clarify this for me?

You use M3 screws that HDPLEX provides--or if you bought a Pico KIT from mini-box they also include the screws with the din connector.

If you can't find those, any M3 screws at least 5mm long should work.

Peace

Reactions: Biowarejak

tomtom977

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 21, 2017
Has anyone used a custom modified Dell power brick modded to 400 Watts of power draw (and modded back to 19.5 Volts, not 12 Volts) from G-Unique for their 400 Watt HD Plex PSU? Is this mod possible? What dc jack did you use?

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Has anyone used a custom modified Dell power brick modded to 400 Watts of power draw (and modded back to 19.5 Volts, not 12 Volts) from G-Unique for their 400 Watt HD Plex PSU? Is this mod possible? What dc jack did you use?
Wouldn't work, HDPlex accepts 16-24 volts, gurys brick produces 12 volt.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Y'all were right, I did have the power thing in backwards. Turned around the other way, you have to screw the GPU in first and then it juuust barely fits, touching right up against the GPU bracket screws. It is very hard to screw the power plug screws in since you have to do it from the inside with the GPU already installed. Something like a screwdriver with a 90-degree ratchet and magnetized tip would make it much easier. I did it with an electronics screwdriver and it was very difficult:

Also, I held the bezel up to the case and it would fit with plenty of room due to the circular cutout that Guryhwa did:

Yeah I figured. I guess he wouldn't be able to mod the brick so that it still puts out 19.5 Volts but just more Amps for greater Wattage?

Well, if it put out the original 19.5v it would simply be a normal Dell brick. Though he does replace components in the brick with more efficient ones, which means it can output more wattage before hitting thermal limits. Maybe he would be willing to do a 19.5 but you'd have to ask him.

Raybird

Chassis Packer
Jun 30, 2017
Well, after months of waiting (well worth) I have finally got my little mini and have now built my system! very pleased maybe not the most powerful in the world but also you guys are probably familiar with the specs! I'm just a big sucker for the looks :')

here's some pictures! Thanks Josh for all your hard work and also your friendly top notch customer service!

#S4 - 482

Specs:
Motherboard: ROG Strix Z20I
CPU: i5 6500
RAM: 16 GB 2400MHz Fury Hyper X
GPU: Zotac GTX1060 6GB
Storage: 1TB M.2 SSD Crucial Blue
PSU: HD PLEX 400 Watt