S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

EM98xXkillerXx

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2016
If you don't know how to solder is back together, you'll likely have to buy a new one. Luckily the switches are pretty cheap.
Thing is primochill didnt solder it, they used the clips. What broke was the piece you solder to. I'm gonna try my hand at figuring out how to ground it, then i'll solder them on with my dads help. If not, new switch it is

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Thing is primochill didnt solder it, they used the clips. What broke was the piece you solder to. I'm gonna try my hand at figuring out how to ground it, then i'll solder them on with my dads help. If not, new switch it is
I would seriously suggest learning to solder :) it'll be more useful than you think

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Just curious... the 1080 ti mini fits same as the 1080 mini right? I might just splurge on one for my birthday if it does fit in an s4...

Reactions: Biowarejak

ECHO

Trash Compacter
Dec 3, 2016
Has anyone else been dreaming of a Ryzen/Vega build since the Nano news?

I'm super keen to build one in my Mini, and am interested to hear other people's experiences with Ryzen in the S4 XD

Reactions: br3nd0

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
I only check the forums when I am eating or in the bathroom...

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016

I'm super keen to build one in my Mini, and am interested to hear other people's experiences with Ryzen in the S4 XD
I know I have...Cant afford a full build change since I just got skylake but the thought has crossed my mind; multiple times...

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
I am a nvidea fan boy so that may be hard to change... but I could be willing to move away from intel in lieu of team red, is like to see where things are a year from now though.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

As sexy as the Nano is, unless they are anticipating massive efficiency gains through software between now and release I don't see it being a buy. Considering we're already almost half way into Q3 or 2017, I don't see the Nano dropping until Q4 at the earliest. Considering that Volta is rumoured to drop around Q1 2018, I think I'd be inclined to wait. If P100 vs V100 is any indication, we can expect a up to a 50% increase in performance without any change in power draw when compared to Pascal.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017

The TDP on the nano is 150w. that is 145w less than the full size vega. The full size vega is competing with the gtx 1080 or so they say. So i assume there will be some performance decrease because of the lower power. You can easily couple this with a ryzen cpu but for the price you may be much better off getting the gtx 1080 mini or 1080ti mini. If i remember correctly the previous nano was crazy expensive. But we will see i am interested to see how it competes.

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
is that the mounting bracket that people can put an extra fan on that i see above the card? for some reason i thought it was on the other side?

Its mentioned in this video:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
is that the mounting bracket that people can put an extra fan on that i see above the card? for some reason i thought it was on the other side?

Its mentioned in this video:

There is one fan bracket built in that is on the GPU "FAN-SIDE."

There are mounts in R3 for putting the SkyBracket (one comes with the S4 MINI) so you can have a fan over the GPU "BACK-SIDE."

Hope that clears it up!

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Considering that Volta is rumoured to drop around Q1 2018, I think I'd be inclined to wait
Volta or Pascal refresh? I'm still running a 750ti but I feel like Nvidia might want to do a refresh first to avoid pissing off all their early adopters. Unless the refresh with GDDR5X already happened and I'm just oblivious.

I'm also just kinda concerned about the seemingly inevitable rise in TDP, considering everyone's lineup recently. Makes SFF cooling difficult. Don't want us stuck on the low-end for HWBot or anything :)

Reactions: AleksandarK

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
It is time for Christmas! :)
I have received my (second) S4 Mini and I love the way brushed aluminum silver comes with the black bezel.
I can not help myself, I love the wrap-around bezel.

Will be a pretty boring build compared to the 1080ti or Nano stuff, (ryzen 1700, no GPU, 2xNIC with bifurcation) but I will enjoy every moment :)
EDIT: okay, maybe it will be a single slot GPU (e.g. rx550) plus a 40G NIC to make it fancier.

Josh, awesome work again.
"Hail to the King, Baby!"

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

EM98xXkillerXx

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2016
So, PSA ryzen is a tad bit higher than Intel standard chip (shoulda known lol)

I got my XT140, test fit it with my cryorig c7, and when i put the side panel on it rubs against the panel. Kudos to my grandpa for telling me to slip some washers in there and bam it fits. Luckily i had some rubber washers that do the job just right for the time being.

Great temps on my 1700 with the side panel on (the fan is a bit noisy with the resonance or whatever, but keeping it lower RPM's still keeps it cool and quiet), though I do have it under volted to about 1.0-1.05 volts (I still havent figured out how to overclock properly). Surprisingly when i went below 1v using ryzen master, it didnt crash at 3.4 ghz, but it was freezing when running aida 64, but it didnt crash and it was really one freezebper stress. The freezes also resolved themselves, of that makes sense? (When it unfroze after 10 seconds the stress test was still running and it still showed cpu as 4.4, it just froze). I'll add more info when I do some more testing and runs tomorrow.

cakePlease

Trash Compacter
Jan 27, 2017
Sup y'all's, I'm looking to upgrade my 7700k to a ryzen 1800x. Has anyone used this CPU in the S4 mini yet? Which cooler did you use with it that would fit/work?

I'm currently using a noctua L9I with hdplex 300, and a 1060. This is not a gaming system... Used only for work with heavy multi tasking and dev work.