S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
Sup y'all's, I'm looking to upgrade my 7700k to a ryzen 1800x. Has anyone used this CPU in the S4 mini yet? Which cooler did you use with it that would fit/work?

I'm currently using a noctua L9I with hdplex 300, and a 1060. This is not a gaming system... Used only for work with heavy multi tasking and dev work.

The 7700k is pushing it in the S4 as is with needing a de-lid to be stable with the NHL9i, I would think a similar TDP processor that's sporting 4 extra cores may run hotter realistically. Unsure if the Noctua NHL9A can keep it cool especially since you can't de-lid the Ryzen. It will certainly be a challenge I'd suspect.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The 7700k is pushing it in the S4 as is with needing a de-lid to be stable with the NHL9i, I would think a similar TDP processor that's sporting 4 extra cores may run hotter realistically. Unsure if the Noctua NHL9A can keep it cool especially since you can't de-lid the Ryzen. It will certainly be a challenge I'd suspect.

I've seen a couple users who have been fighting really high temperatures with the 7700K and the NHl9i. I really want to get to the bottom of this, as I have been nothing but impressed with it. I've experimented with delidding this CPU and comparing the two, but really I have found it to have excellent thermal management.

The 1800X I think might be too hot for the S4 MINI. But I've only had one 1800X and a dozen 7700Ks so *I* might be the one with the bad data on that chip.

The 1600X though I think is very reasonable. It is what I am using now.

It's worth noting that I have *zero* experience with the NHL9A yet, but will shortly.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I believe the 1800x can be done but the heat generated will be difficult to handle as skudshark said. Also even though the TDP is low benchmarks show it pulls quite the amount of energy under load much more than the 7700k. You can undervolt and see how it goes. Or just go to the 1600 lineup which i think will be the better bet. I am keeping an eye on coffee lake intel which is rumored at 6 cores, 12 threads and the 95 TDP. I read an article where it will have variable core clocks a two, four, and six core clock depends on task. Not sure how true it is but it is a good idea if they move that direction as adding more cores usually brings down single core performance.

That would be my dream of having the 7700k four core performance for gaming and then the 6 core for tasks when needed.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I believe the 1800x can be done but the heat generated will be difficult to handle as skudshark said. Also even though the TDP is low benchmarks show it pulls quite the amount of energy under load much more than the 7700k. You can undervolt and see how it goes. Or just go to the 1600 lineup which i think will be the better bet. I am keeping an eye on coffee lake intel which is rumored at 6 cores, 12 threads and the 95 TDP. I read an article where it will have variable core clocks a two, four, and six core clock depends on task. Not sure how true it is but it is a good idea if they move that direction as adding more cores usually brings down single core performance.

That would be my dream of having the 7700k four core performance for gaming and then the 6 core for tasks when needed.

Right--exactly.

I get way too many hate comments about me not understanding what TDP means. I actually understand what it means, but with Intel CPUs the TDP is fantastically in-line with power requirements. For the past 7 years or so you could use the TDP to reliably predict CPU power draw. How AMD measures/reports TDP is totally different, and I am still trying to get a handle on it, but I haven't had the ability or customers to buy multiple chips.

Reactions: Biowarejak

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Right--exactly.

I get way too many hate comments about me not understanding what TDP means. I actually understand what it means, but with Intel CPUs the TDP is fantastically in-line with power requirements. For the past 7 years or so you could use the TDP to reliably predict CPU power draw. How AMD measures/reports TDP is totally different, and I am still trying to get a handle on it, but I haven't had the ability or customers to buy multiple chips.
Yeah i am not sure how they do it either. I think intel goes with TDP under load and Ryzen does it more of an average it seems between tasks. This may lead to the disconnect between watts pulled and TDP. All i know though is more cores = more heat under work if all the cores are utilized of course.

cakePlease

Trash Compacter
Jan 27, 2017
Thanks for the insight guys. Man, was really hoping it would be easily possible. I do notice that with my 7700k, the L9I does spin up quite a bit and so it gets pretty loud as is already.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Sup y'all's, I'm looking to upgrade my 7700k to a ryzen 1800x. Has anyone used this CPU in the S4 mini yet? Which cooler did you use with it that would fit/work?

I'm currently using a noctua L9I with hdplex 300, and a 1060. This is not a gaming system... Used only for work with heavy multi tasking and dev work.

In this situation, have you considered simply purchasing a 1700? Worst case scenario is you lose 200 MHz on your peak overclock (likely less than this if you're not a loser in the silicon lottery) and at stock the chip will run quite comfortably on an L9i/L9a. You can see overclock probabilities here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5xybp7/silicon_lottery_ryzen_overclock_statistics/

You'll also save a not insignificant amount of money (129 USD) that you can then throw back into a set of 3200MHz or 3600 MHz Samsung B-Die memory like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...m_re=F4-3600C15D-16GTZ-_-20-232-306-_-Product

I believe in this situation you'll have more system performance at likely a lower overall cost and cooling will likely be less of an issue.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
One other thing to consider is buying a chip from Siliconlottery.com They currently have 1700 chips that are guaranteed stable at 3.9 GHz for 279.99 (20 dollars less than Newegg). In addition to buying a chip that is 20 USD cheaper than Newegg, you'd also be guaranteeing your chip isn't in the lower 30% of 1700s that can't go above 3.8 GHz.

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/1700a39g

cakePlease

Trash Compacter
Jan 27, 2017
In this situation, have you considered simply purchasing a 1700? Worst case scenario is you lose 200 MHz on your peak overclock (likely less than this if you're not a loser in the silicon lottery) and at stock the chip will run quite comfortably on an L9i/L9a. You can see overclock probabilities here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5xybp7/silicon_lottery_ryzen_overclock_statistics/

You'll also save a not insignificant amount of money (129 USD) that you can then throw back into a set of 3200MHz or 3600 MHz Samsung B-Die memory like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...m_re=F4-3600C15D-16GTZ-_-20-232-306-_-Product

I believe in this situation you'll have more system performance at likely a lower overall cost and cooling will likely be less of an issue.

Cool thanks, i'll look into this configuration.

One other thing to consider is buying a chip from Siliconlottery.com They currently have 1700 chips that are guaranteed stable at 3.9 GHz for 279.99 (20 dollars less than Newegg). In addition to buying a chip that is 20 USD cheaper than Newegg, you'd also be guaranteeing your chip isn't in the lower 30% of 1700s that can't go above 3.8 GHz.

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/1700a39g

Thanks for this tip, didnt know about this

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
Hrm. Nvidia releases better support/performance for titan x(p) for external gpu closures this September... maybe we're doing it all wrong. Maybe we need an S4 mini me for the S4 mini. :eek: A mini s4 mini me GPU enclosure. :eek: Lol... fantasies.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hrm. Nvidia releases better support/performance for titan x(p) for external gpu closures this September... maybe we're doing it all wrong. Maybe we need an S4 mini me for the S4 mini. :eek: A mini s4 mini me GPU enclosure. :eek: Lol... fantasies.
I could totally see it. Wrap around bezel and all.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
If they can do a Vega Nano that is at least as fast as a 1070 or better, with a 150w TDP, i'll probably go that route. I'd save $200 on a freesync monitor instead of a gsync.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
If they can do a Vega Nano that is at least as fast as a 1070 or better, with a 150w TDP, i'll probably go that route. I'd save $200 on a freesync monitor instead of a gsync.
Ah, the pains of wanting to use Cuda Cores and enjoy the gaming benefits of an adaptive refresh display :p one of these days I might spring for a G-Synch for just that purpose, hopefully when the prices are competitive

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017

Fingers crossed for it. But I invested in gsync awhile ago because I was so tired of waiting for amd. Much rather be on the Nvidia upgrade track than a year behind. I have got to enjoy my 1080 for over a year. The nano was as expensive as the full sized one during the fury years last I remember and if it offers a 1070 performance that is a major loss. The price difference between a 1070 and the Vega you can put towards the monitor alone and be in the Nvidia upgrade track.

Also there have been many challenges for free sync and problems with panels managing it. Sometimes the range is so small or the panel Skips and ghosts. Hopefully freesync 2 has fix a lot of the growing issues but I know I have never had a problem with my gsync and I absolutely love it. Just do the homework when your buying the freesync panels.

Last edited:

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
I wonder if Josh has ever considered a NFC chassis owner/FAQ/quick questions and answers discord. Might detract from this thread-- BUT. Good documentation here can always be linked there... the ultimate marketing team lol. Another fantasy. Soon I'll be dreaming of Josh instead. :confused: Which is just as weird for me as it is to all you reading this.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I wonder if Josh has ever considered a NFC chassis owner/FAQ/quick questions and answers discord. Might detract from this thread-- BUT. Good documentation here can always be linked there... the ultimate marketing team lol. Another fantasy. Soon I'll be dreaming of Josh instead. :confused: Which is just as weird for me as it is to all you reading this.

But seriously, anything you can think of for a FAQ let me know...I'm slowly adding stuff to the first post.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
@Josh | NFC , have you tried taking an HDPLEX 300w AC/DC out of its shell to see if it will fit sideways in the front of the S4 Mini? I'm wondering if maybe it might fit. Or is it still too wide?

Last edited:
Reactions: CubanLegend