S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Hey Josh,

I had to flip the DC jack on its head to fit with a 1070 msi card.

I had to mod the case a little.

Do you consider doing this small change to your future S4 batches ?

As most of us use the dell brick, it would add flexibillity if your buyers want to flip the jack and not have to cut the case as i had to do.

I had this same issue. Only thing I had to change was to use longer screws

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
How? It still will be tilted like seen in the photo
Youre right. And I didnt mind that. My zotac 1070 mini fit in just fine and it holds strong so I just left it like that. I only used longer screws cause the ones that came with it didnt fit with the 2mm gap.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
Youre right. And I didnt mind that. My zotac 1070 mini fit in just fine and it holds strong so I just left it like that. I only used longer screws cause the ones that came with it didnt fit with the 2mm gap.
Yes true, i had it tilted like that for over a month now but thought the jack would be more stable if it contacted the whole surface so i had cut the case

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
These are good questions that I don't have scientific answers to.

The thickness is 2.32mm and all the bezels I produced seem to be rigid and secure to the touch. I wouldn't want to sell them if I felt that they were too brittle or delicate. I haven't tried to break any as they take hours to make and I fall in love with them afterwards and it seems unreasonable to break them for a test when polite care they should be fine. XD

So is the 3d bezel then 9.32mm thick total, 7mm + 2.32mm ?

Or is it 7mm thick total with 4.68mm + 2.32mm ?

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
With the MSI 1070 Aero itx, the HDplex DC connector don't fit no matter how you flip it. I ended up cutting a small hole in the back like Josh reccomended before.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Nah, didnt work, you can see it in my 1070 gpus comparsions thread
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...view-of-mini-gtx-1070-cards-nfc-s4-case.2586/

Mine i believe is actually mounted like that from Josh himself, its at a slight angle... if that's what you're showing here. IDK exactly.

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
With the MSI 1070 Aero itx, the HDplex DC connector don't fit no matter how you flip it. I ended up cutting a small hole in the back like Josh reccomended before.
What do you mean? I use it right now XD

See the pictures in my 1070 thread, its all explained
You have to clip a really small piece of the side of the dc jack to make it fit with the msi 1070 plastic shroud.

Mine i believe is actually mounted like that from Josh himself, its at a slight angle... if that's what you're showing here. IDK exactly.
If thats true, then the dc jack isnt lying flat. You can see it on the imgur picture set on the site before.
I just can accept in such a perfect case an unperfectly mounted dc jack, therefor i have cut it to fit. Maybe its just me ;)

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
If thats true, then the dc jack isnt lying flat. You can see it on the imgur picture set on the site before.
I just can accept in such a perfect case an unperfectly mounted dc jack, therefor i have cut it to fit. Maybe its just me ;)
Yeah here's what mine looks like, i havent TOUCHED the Dc jack and it cam from josh installed in the flipped position, its not PERFECTLY aligned but its a sacrifice I'm willing to take. :)

Reactions: Broxin

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
Im just saying that this one long cut-out in the case near the dc jack would make things easier for future s4 owners and future cards,
as a flipped dc jack clearly makes more room for the gpu's pcb-> More compatibility with different gpu cards.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
So is the 3d bezel then 9.32mm thick total, 7mm + 2.32mm ?

Or is it 7mm thick total with 4.68mm + 2.32mm ?

Its 9.3 and change total. The material thickness varies.

As for "DC Jack Gate" I have been flipping the jacks since the ASUS 970 DCu came out and haven't had a problem with screws or anything so I need more info there on improving the S4 MINI. Certainly I want to make every good, easy, change especially in terms of GPU compatibility.

In other news I'm going to build a 1080ti MINI this week so I'll have some info there.

Last edited:

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Its 9.3 and change total. The material thickness varies.

As for "DC Jack Gate" I have been flipping the jacks since the ASUS 970 DCu came out and haven't had a problem with screws or anything so I need more info there on improving the S4 MINI. Certainly I want to make every good, easy, change especially in terms of GPU compatibility.

In other news I'm going to build a 1080ti MINI this week so I'll have some info there.

Regarding screws I had to change mine since with the case gap, only one side would reach the screw mounts. I used 10-12 mm m2 screws to fasten mine and while it is a little tilted, it holds strong and doesnt touch the gpu. If the metal gap werent present I believe a change of screws from the ones HDPlex brings wouldnt be necessary.
A little cut would be ok.

Secondary question, I know you hate me by now but should we expect news soon about bezels? My s4 feels naked XD

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Just a FYI if you ordered a bezel remember it may be delayed a little since Josh stated on his site it would take more time to ship these. So don't expect to receive your S4 mini in order as it highly depends on the accessories you purchased with your S4 mini. I ordered i think back in April or May and haven't received mine yet.

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Just a FYI if you ordered a bezel remember it may be delayed a little since Josh stated on his site it would take more time to ship these. So don't expect to receive your S4 mini in order as it highly depends on the accessories you purchased with your S4 mini. I ordered i think back in April or May and haven't received mine yet.

I already have an s4 mini since february mate. Im only in queue for a bezel and a long switch, which is why Im just a bit curious about when these might be in circulation. Not in a hurry (maybe), just hungry for news ;)

Reactions: Biowarejak