S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
I'll go ahead and ask a question, I would like to pair the S4 mini with a G-Unique 400 watt. Is there an example of how to mod the case to accept the 6 pin DC input plug used in the modded power brick?

Last edited:

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
That was my exact thoughts on the 1080 mini, just chop up the heatsink and roll with it. I did already ask Zotac if they'd ever ship me a replacement heatsink for the 1080 mini, they flat out told me no. Lame.
This is exactly why I haven't chopped up the heat sink. My next idea is to do a dual 80mm fan mount. I found this https://www.coolerguys.com/products/cg-fan-bracket-2-hole-bare-kit-80mm-kit-for-cabinet-cooling which is made of acrylic. Going to do some cutting on the edges and just mount it to the 120mm fan mount, and see how it cools with the GTX 1080 mini without the shroud and fans. Josh said the dual 92mm fans was awesome so I might just drill some extra holes in this and try that as well. The trick is going to be to use spacers to get it close enough to the heatsink and trim enough to not occlude airflow.

Reactions: br3nd0

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Oh my god I'm watching this now too!

EDIT: Oh my god the intro to the video is amazing, Linus loves you @Josh | NFC . Maybe you can finally answer that burning question "what exactly ARE you sniffen over there?" XD

EDIT2: And he starts off with the S4 Mini being " BY FAR the Smallest Case for Custom Gaming PC Builders out there!" I mean he's right but it's a HUGE compliment coming from Linus, he's seen and reviews almost everything.

EDIT3: :eek: Holy Crap Josh, you overnighted Linus a custom-cut and designed sidepanel with a cutout for the supertall new DDR4 modules they used. WOW. That is baller. You really worked hard on this with them. :)

EDIT4: Oh my god they used a sawzaw on the 1080mini heatsink to get it to fit with the original Aluminum warp around bezel, :eek:UCH: and they hit the heatpipe! :CRINGE: AND they had another 1080 mini overnighted to them by Zotac!? WOWWWW

EDIT5: Jeez, they used a modded Slim 120fan on the GPU and were getting low 80's temps out of it. And it was way louder than the stock fans and didnt keep the GPU as cool. XD Wow, they shoulda just bought the 7mm 2D Bezel with the cutout for the GPU, I mean if they did that, then they wouldnt have an exciting video of them chopping up a GPU.

EDIT6: They shouldve also rotated the NHL9i CPU cooler 90 degrees since the fins were right up against the Corsair RAM on one end.... probably limiting their 7700k from being overclockable... :/

EDIT7: at least when it comes down to the important stuff "the numbers" the S4 Mini build they had outperformed even their Kaby Lake open test-bench, and it blew them away in performance numbers. That will acboslutely blow away any doubters about the use of the HDPLEX-300 and the Dell-300W power brick. I hope Larry from HDPLEX (is he on this forum?) gets a TON of new customers thanks to the S4 mini video. His DC-DC PSU is god-tier and can swing at and sometimes better than the big-boy SFX and ATX PSUs when powering a 1080mini and a 7700k

EDIT8: I love how they acknowledged that the S4 mini came in "at the top of the pack for what we've ever seen in terms of Performance Per Liter" that is a really shining praise, albeit totally factual and obvious to the rest of us. :)

EDIT9: Aaand that's it. Linus Sebastian's quote for the S4 Mini OP: he said it folks (let's get a billboard for this one ;) )... "The S4 Mini...to say I love it, would be an understatement!".

Mod: Removed video that's already been linked above.

Last edited by a moderator:

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone's made custom 'side' panels for their S4 Mini?

Also curious if anyone's managed to put a AM4 motherboard an chip in a S4 Mini yet.
I haven't seen one yet but there has been quite a lot of talk about doing a build with one. I am sure you can though the difficulty would be the cpu cooler and what cpu you wanted. Multicore tend to take some watts. With the new hd Plex being 400w and gunique filling orders it is definitely doable.

Reactions: CubanLegend

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I'll go ahead and ask a question, I would like to pair the S4 mini with a G-Unique 400 watt. Is there an example of how to mod the case to accept the 6 pin DC input plug used in the modded power brick?
I made a custom 12" extension cable from a 12 Pin and 24 pin connector and just ran it out the hole for the barrel jack.
I left the 12pin alone since it clips in perfectly with the g-unique connector and cut down the 24pin for the part the power brick connects to.
Check my build log (S4 #106) for some pictures, let me know if you want some close ups.

Reactions: Reldey and br3nd0

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017

I had Guryhwa put in a GX12 Avian plug connector at no cost. It should fit just fine with no modifications. You just attach the connector and then screw it in place.

Reactions: Reldey

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Guys, I watched the LTT review at pre-1000 views, I just came home from a night out and its at 157,000 views! Josh is going to be rolling in them preorders! :D And now everyone will associate it the S4 Mini with being "smaller than a PS4", seeing as that's in the video's title, certainly attention grabbing, and it's certain to bring it TONS of new customers. I hope Josh is directing them to the forums from his website.

@Josh | NFC Did you think about maybe setting up a forum link to this S4 mini thread, somewhere clearly visible on your site's S4 Mini purchase page? so people can know where to go if they want to search up a question or ask about the case to previous owners? It might mitigate some of your emails. :)

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone's made custom 'side' panels for their S4 Mini?

Also curious if anyone's managed to put a AM4 motherboard an chip in a S4 Mini yet.
@MODZERO is working on making a custom GLASS sidepanel for his S4 Mini, as he's actually going to fit the fat 25mm thick NF-B9 Redux on there. :) I dont know of anyone else modding thei sidepanels though, maybe painting or plastidipping but not cutting like in the LTT video. The sidepanels are amazingly cut and look great with the brushed finish. They ventilate amazingly and are probably the main reason why the case has such amazing thermals for being smaller than a PS4 and housing a 7700k and 1080mini

I for one welcome all our new forum viewers and members from LTT
Same, welcome!

I haven't seen one yet but there has been quite a lot of talk about doing a build with one. I am sure you can though the difficulty would be the cpu cooler and what cpu you wanted. Multicore tend to take some watts. With the new hd Plex being 400w and gunique filling orders it is definitely doable.
Yes thats the problem, there are currently to Ryzen CPU coolers that are anywhere near as small at to fit inside of an S4 Mini. :(

Unfortunately no mention of where the custom short (and single colour!) PSU cables came from. Do you know where they came from @Josh | NFC ?
Josh can do this service if you ship him your HDPLEX-300 PSU/cables, you tell him what motherboard you have, he does all the measurements, cuts the cables to length and they are all the same color, un braided though. I believe he also has an even higher quality option sleeve them, i think.

If you want to see an example, check my build log in my sig, I had Josh custom cut my cables for my S4 mini.

Reactions: br3nd0

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Unfortunately no mention of where the custom short (and single colour!) PSU cables came from. Do you know where they came from @Josh | NFC ?
Josh sounds like he will be pretty busy with computec and various other things. I know someone who does custom cables for the S4 mini and has all the measurements. Here is his site if Josh can't do them. It's still in open beta but I will say his work is top notch. All you have to do is tell him what you want and he can make any cables for anything really. A few posts back I had examples of his work I posted.

http://avaentum.com/beta/

Reactions: royalba94

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Just saw the S4 Mini Preorder Update. :D Josh is rollin in 1080mini customers if he's got one casually lying around like that. Also, @Josh | NFC amazing shirt, I LOVE Cowboy Bebop too, I think have the same shirt! I never knew you were such a weeb like me. :p

Great to see an update for those new and incoming customers. And its GREAT news to hear you'll be hiring some of your friends, I remember you mentioning that you'd wanted to do that in the past if your business ever took off. Well... LTT's review is reaching a TON of people, so if you were aiming for the moon with that review, it should be sending you to Mars. :D

Last edited:

winterfart1

Chassis Packer
Jan 31, 2017
Congrats Josh on getting featured on LTT !!

Side note, will it be possible to add a custom bezel for longer cards like the zotac gtx 1080? so that people like me dont have to machine off that precious card. (like what u did in one of your videos too)

Mod: Removed video that's already been linked a few times.

Last edited by a moderator: