S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016
Wondering if anyone here is running a heatsink/fan combo in the S4 mini that is taller than 40mm and how it performs both in terms of thermals and noise? I'd be particularly interested in the VC45 as well as the IS-40 and the L9i with a 25mm fan on it. Cheers.

I'm running the GELID 120mm x 15mm fan on my L9a, but it would work with L9i too. Installing directly over the Noctua heatsink requires a 92mm-120mm plastic adapter, custom screws, and DDR clearance so it is dependent upon where your RAM is on your board and if you have VLP sticks. You may get an extra mm or two by using the S4 120mm adapter plate that comes with your case. GELID makes two versions of their fan, both are blue, one is UV reactive and the other has an LED that you can switch on and off. I'm even less of a professional reviewer than CubanLegend but I can say that they are very quiet and perform quite well. I have a custom one under my GPU and one over my CPU.

Reactions: zovc

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Wondering if anyone here is running a heatsink/fan combo in the S4 mini that is taller than 40mm and how it performs both in terms of thermals and noise? I'd be particularly interested in the VC45 as well as the IS-40 and the L9i with a 25mm fan on it. Cheers.

I'm running a Cryorig C7 (had to use bolts from a different cooler to get the back to fit on), with a 140x13mm Cryorig fan attached to the stock S4 fan bracket, the whole package is exactly 45mm and fits exactly with no extra space at all.

It is very quiet with that side of the case left off; it gets noticeably louder if I close the case completely because the fan is right up against the case and it disrupts the airflow... it still cools just about as well, but adds some noise.

what. How far is it undervolted? Is it underclocked as well or at the stock 4.5 GHz? How do you know its capping out at 60W?

I don't remember exactly as I'm at work, but I took it like .3 volts down from stock and 300mhz less (locked at 4200mhz), which took the Prime95 TDP from 90 down to 60, as reported by HWMonitor which has always been accurate for me. So, 7% slower for 33% less energy.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Sooo, if any Mini-ITX board support unbuffered ECC DDR4,... here's some Very Low Profile DDR4! http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4xfd824a
Amazing, crazy price... but amazing.
EDIT: Just found some Non-ECC Unbuffered (normal DDR4 we know) Very Low Profile DDR4... I think: http://www.innodisk.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?SUQwMT0wMDImSUQwMj04Y2MxOGM1MC0xZDA4LTQ2ZTUtYTIxMy0xZmNmNTMzZDcxYTEmSUQwMz1jYmRhMGQxYS0yMzBlLTRmMTItODU1MC01MmQ3MjFiNzUxMTcmSUQ9ZmU5NzA2ZWUtNmM0My00YmZjLWIyZTMtN2Q2NDVmNjI2NTA3JmRmbF9JRD0wMDE=
I don't remember exactly as I'm at work, but I took it like .3 volts down from stock and 300mhz less (locked at 4200mhz), which took the Prime95 TDP from 90 down to 60, as reported by HWMonitor which has always been accurate for me. So, 7% slower for 33% less energy.
Interesting. wait, are you sure you don't mean .03 volts? I just downvolted my 7700k from 1.20 stock vcore to 1.170, I'll run P95 for 15 minutes and if it passes I'll jump down .01 volts and try to boot into windows and try P95 again until it fails. :) Let's see how low I can go at the stock turboboost freq. of 4.5 GHz! :D

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The ASRock X99E-ITX/ac supports that Crucial RAM, it's what I'm using. But I don't think X99 is a good fit in the S4 Mini for most people :p

The Innodisk stuff isn't actually available without some crazy high minimum order.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
What SATA cables are you folks using? Right now I've got comically oversized ~50mm cables in here that will need to go once I get my PCIe riser in.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I'm using a Silverstone cp11 (way too long, but stealthy) and some random huge sata cable I had. You could consider coiling it depending on where your sata ports are.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017

You know how the saying goes, if you have to fill out a quote form, you can't afford it :p

But seriously, they probably haven't actually produced that ram in real life yet. They're probably just waiting for an OEM to order 1 million off them before they actually start producing it.

I don't get what the hell is taking Crucial so long, they had two different models of VLP DDR3 Non-ECC, but DDR4 has been out for years and they haven't done the same thing. Maybe the DDR3 VLP didn't sell well enough for them? I bought some.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
You could consider coiling it depending on where your sata ports are.

Don't coil SATA cables. We did that at the computer shop I used to work at and after a few years all the machines we had coiled the SATA cables in started acting weird (lock ups, BSODs, failure to boot, drop drive) and the issues went away after replacing the cables.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
What SATA cables are you folks using? Right now I've got comically oversized ~50mm cables in here that will need to go once I get my PCIe riser in.

I have been using SATA cables from Circuit Assembly, http://estore.circuitassembly.com These people carry a large selection of cables and things like right going and left going angle connectors, 4, 6 , 8 , 10... inch lengths. Reasonable prices and they ship same or next day on my orders. Great source for a custom builder.

Neil

Reactions: NateDawg72 and zovc

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Is the kozuti a better performer in the S4 than the L9i? I've managed to find them cheaper and I'm planning on picking up an S4 next time they're available

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Is the kozuti a better performer in the S4 than the L9i? I've managed to find them cheaper and I'm planning on picking up an S4 next time they're available

All the reviews I have read have them neck and neck performance wise, but Noctua is smaller and always fits ITX boards while the Scythe may not fit. Noctua I'd also quieter. Not worth it IMO. See this review where the two are compared directly: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1317-page5.html

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I know there was some talk about the LP53 and the ITX30. I will be doing a comparison once I get my S4 in the next couple weeks. Here is a photo if anyone wanted to see the size differences. I will be doing the standard ITX30 and with the noctua NF-B9 redux since the itx30 has additional room the LP53 does not. Fingers crossed for the itx30 with the redux to be the winner. If someone has already done this please let me know.

As a side note the fan from the itx30 fits perfectly with the LP53.

Photos :

Last edited:

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
seems like a large part of the height difference is a scooped out step for the itx30's fan. I believe it's an 80mm fan (correct me if I'm wrong?), so if you were to use a larger fan it would negate a good portion of the lower total height on the itx30 :/.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
seems like a large part of the height difference is a scooped out step for the itx30's fan. I believe it's an 80mm fan (correct me if I'm wrong?), so if you were to use a larger fan it would negate a good portion of the lower total height on the itx30 :/.
You are correct the fan is 80 x 80 x 10mm. Total height is 30mm. So I would say the fan may be 8mm off with a 2mm scoop. Just a guess. It going to be close with the redux at 25mm thickness. I hope there is enough space for an air gap on the S4 mini but only way to know is it test it. Definitely going to be cutting it close especially since the redux won't fit in the cutout for the 80mm fan since it is 92mm. May have to get a grinder or dremel and make my own scoop. God I hate saying Dremel it is such a dirty word.