S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
I don't have one of thsoe fancy watt thingies. But I'll be doing some prime95 and furmark testing on my CPU/GPU this week all inside the S4 mini, here's hoping there's no coil whine. I'll report if there is any though.

Don't get your hopes too high... my 1080 Mini has a lot of coil whine. But, if you download Rivatuner (it installs with MSI Afterburner) you can cap your frame limit to match your monitor and that will reduce most of it. I have the S4 close to me on the desk though. If you had it 10 feet away and/or use headphones it might be fine.

Let me know how you fare with it though. I think I'm gonna return mine and just for laughs try a 1080ti sticking way out of the case. It launches in 4 days (countdown on geforce.com saying "It's almost TIme" with the TI capitalized). I don't know if it's a paper launch or if there will actually be stock up for sale.

Reactions: CubanLegend

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
Wait that thing actually fits?! Well in that case I may have to order one if requires no modding...
From the NH-L9i, right? ;)

Hey @Josh | NFC, just double checking... I finally figured out how to order the Galax 1070 from their site. Their card should fit in the S4 mini without needing any mods, right? I just double checked the length and it seems alright even with the length of the riser included.
W

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
From what I have seen of the marketing material, it should work great. But it is hard to tell as anyone on these forums will tell you about the accuracy of web page card lengths.

Well, I guess my fingers are crossed after I take care of rent and whatnot. :cool:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Yeah, my head exploded when it came out, I really didn't expect anyone to do it.
Asrock gained my eternal love for doing that, and I'd totally buy one of their boards over the strix if one had dual m.2. (plus I like the IO on their Z270 boards a bit more anyway, particularly Z270M-ITX/ac)

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Yeah, my head exploded when it came out, I really didn't expect anyone to do it.
Asrock gained my eternal love for doing that, and I'd totally buy one of their boards over the strix if one had dual m.2. (plus I like the IO on their Z270 boards a bit more anyway, particularly Z270M-ITX/ac)
wow thats a very healthy and NICE amount of USB 3 on the rear IO. And dual HDMI! AND A PS-2 PORT (Wow) !!!! But that DVI-D (ew) and vertical HDMI (double ewww) could be replaced with some more USB2 or USB3 ports. Or maybe an optical out port for those who have dedicated sound. Looks nice though!

Sadly I've been an ASUS fanboy since my old 2006 PC build using their first ROG branded mobo, the Crosshair. And it still works to this day and has been powering a CPU thats out of it's stock BIOS spec (a Phenom 2 within TDP, but using a custom user-made BIOS), so the STRIX x270i was a no-brainer for me when i built my S4...especially with the Dual M.2... but I would love more USB3 ports on the back too like that AsRock.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
It was like...a MAJOR hit at PDXLAN because of the I/O and the drive capabilities. The funny thing was everyone was using enormous cases for it.
wow that's hilarious.

Dude Josh you must LOVE IT when a manufacturer makes hardware thats compatible with your S3/S4 mini, you must get so many new customers from that stuff! =D (and you deserve them, too)

HOW MANY customers did you gain that were building an S4 because that motherboard came out and they were waiting to put an X99 chipset/CPU or a Xeon in an S4 mini?! XD

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
This is my favorite picture of it, I thought for a while building a case around this layout would be neat.

Edit:

I just got my SFFN shirt in, I really hope the "My pc is smaller than yours" text is visible over the seatback when I go to quakecon this year. ;)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
This is my favorite picture of it, I thought for a while building a case around this layout would be neat.

I have a case modeled for that layout and have gotten quotes, just haven't gotten around to doing anything more with it yet :p

Reactions: Curiosity

D_McG

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2016
I have a case modeled for that layout and have gotten quotes, just haven't gotten around to doing anything more with it yet :p
I also have a case modeled up with that layout (Spartan Jr) using a 100mm SFX PSU on the bottom, 140mm wide, coming in at 8.2 liters.

Reactions: jeshikat