S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Regarding dual-bricking... interesting to see it done but why not just use a single Dell330w? Aren't two of those 240's stacked on top of each other the same volume (or more) than a dell 330w? Also an opion is to just PM @guryhwa about buying one of his modded Dell 330W bricks, he sells them at 400w and 500w versions on taobao.

In fact, unless you're running a octa-core AMD (high TDP) on a Mini-ITX AM4 mobo (why when there's Kaby-Lake and z270 Mini-ITX lol) and an AMD Fury R9 card (TDP and power spike beast), you should not be peaking anywhere near 330W anyway unless running Prime95 and furmark at the same time (which you should not attempt to do, obviously, lol)....

Josh ran some tests with my 1080mini and a stock i7-7700k running Unigen Valley to simulate real-world gaming loads (seen here at the 1:55 minute mark) only peaking at what seems to be 240 watts. And it was considerably more power efficient than the last load test Josh did with the Dell330w brick using last gen Skylake 6700k and a GTX980 (980 was tested on an open bench not inside an S4).

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
Hello everyone, I finally bit the bullet and ordered one of Josh's fine cases! I got one of the powder coated versions and I'm currently waiting for him to return to ship it. I'm so excited! I do have a bit of a problem though. Intel just unveiled their spring deal for processors and I'm pretty sure it will be a i7/i5 7th K series run this time for their retail program. I would like to buy one but I'm not sure with this case because of the high TDP and temp results I have been seeing using K sku's. My main question is should I buy a 7700k for 120 or buy a 7700t for 340? It kinda seems pointless to buy a 7700t if I undervolt that 7700k and save over 200. I have zero plans to OC and if anything I'll undervolt it.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
for that price I would just try to undervolt/ clock the K, worst case you sell it and buy a T if you don't get the results you want.

Reactions: CubanLegend

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
for that price I would just try to undervolt/ clock the K, worst case you sell it and buy a T if you don't get the results you want.

This is excellent advice on paper, but the problem is dozens of customers have spent hours and hours with me as I try to walk them through the undervolting process and then work on troubleshooting it with them. I love helping people but it has gotten to be more than I can handle.

So for everyone reading thinking about this...consider what your goals are. If you want a T processor, buy a T processor. If you love tweaking and spending more time in the BIOS than in Windows or at least are willing to make that risk, then undervolt a K.

My FINAL note is the 7700K's TDP had me concerned, but after having one in my MINI for the last two weeks doing CAD work, video editing, and some lighter gaming, I will say that it runs much cooler than I expected and I dare say pretty durn great. Intel did a great job optimizing these chips. However as soon as you overclock BOOM, it will turn into your personal fission reactor.

Peace, love, and MINIs!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
As a side note...I will be offering thicker 2D bezels so you won't need to mod your 1080.

I am working on learning the CAM needed to cut out these 3D bezel concepts I have. No ETA on them, but this is what I am aiming for:

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
Just out of curiosity what temps are you getting Josh? I simply plan to game and maybe play with some CAD stuff for schooling. No OC
This is excellent advice on paper, but the problem is dozens of customers have spent hours and hours with me as I try to walk them through the undervolting process and then work on troubleshooting it with them. I love helping people but it has gotten to be more than I can handle.

So for everyone reading thinking about this...consider what your goals are. If you want a T processor, buy a T processor. If you love tweaking and spending more time in the BIOS than in Windows or at least are willing to make that risk, then undervolt a K.

My FINAL note is the 7700K's TDP had me concerned, but after having one in my MINI for the last two weeks doing CAD work, video editing, and some lighter gaming, I will say that it runs much cooler than I expected and I dare say pretty durn great. Intel did a great job optimizing these chips. However as soon as you overclock BOOM, it will turn into your personal fission reactor.

Peace, love, and MINIs!
Wh

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Just out of curiosity what temps are you getting Josh? I simply plan to game and maybe play with some CAD stuff for schooling. No OC

Wh

I don't have graphs yet but anecdotally I am traveling for business and was able to meet a friend at his apartment for a couple hours of Shogun. This is the hottest I have seen yet @ 70c with the Zalman CNPS2x. I would recommend adding a fan or going with the Noctua, but the Zalman is what I had on hand...

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
How necessary would you say it is to vent the front of the case for the 1080 mod? Can I expect the case to get significantly hotter without said venting? Cheers,

Craig

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
How necessary would you say it is to vent the front of the case for the 1080 mod? Can I expect the case to get significantly hotter without said venting? Cheers,

Craig

I don't have the data or the definition to answer this for you, I'm sorry. :(

What I can tell you is a significant amount of hot air comes out the vented front bezel on my 1080 build. On the 1070 builds I did the temps were consistently 10C lower and took almost twice the time to reach part temp. Some users reported 6C, but it goes to show you how different builds can be. I make sure that there is a completely free path for air to flow out unrestricted and make custom cables for everything.

Reactions: Kmpkt

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I had an idea regarding a 1080 mini build without cutting the plastic bezel of the card like in Josh's build video.

If you take the whole bezel apart including the fans and mount 1x 140mm fan or other fans instead, that are regulated via the pwm connector of the card with this adapter

I don't own a S4, yet. So what do you think, could this be an option?
It would not work, the heatsink would be sitting REALLY close or touching the back of the 5mm bezel. You could always just plop some thermal padding between it and the bezel and just squeeze it into place and then the bezel would thermally pass heat from the GPU's heatsink, maybe possibly reducing GPU temps by a margin of error... but it sounds cool and the idea is awesome.

Craig
@Kmpkt Okay, I've had my 1080mini in my S4 build since Wednesday. IT expels MOST of its air out that front-bezel vent. Even with the card sitting at the desktop idling at 35c you can REALLY FEEL the difference between the S4 mini's side panel and the front panel vents. The front panel has a considerably strong air stream. It's so cool to see Josh's idea for those vents working so well. Thanks @Josh | NFC :)

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Hello everyone, I finally bit the bullet and ordered one of Josh's fine cases! I got one of the powder coated versions and I'm currently waiting for him to return to ship it. I'm so excited! I do have a bit of a problem though. Intel just unveiled their spring deal for processors and I'm pretty sure it will be a i7/i5 7th K series run this time for their retail program. I would like to buy one but I'm not sure with this case because of the high TDP and temp results I have been seeing using K sku's. My main question is should I buy a 7700k for 120 or buy a 7700t for 340? It kinda seems pointless to buy a 7700t if I undervolt that 7700k and save over 200. I have zero plans to OC and if anything I'll undervolt it.
Order the 7700k OH MY GOD is it perfect and well optimized over the Skylake 6700K for S4 mini use, like Josh said.

For cooling... You'll be fine with either A: a Noctua NH-L9i, or B: the Zalman CNPS2X and a 120mm scythe slim-PWM fan in the fan bracket above the mobo. IN FACT. IIRC, When Josh did his Mini-ITX coolers Video. HE ACTUALLY DISCOVERED that in the S4 mini, the CNPS2X from Zalman with a slim 120mm fan was a better cooling solution than the Noctua NH-L9i!! :D

I have YET to test this, as I'm currently still getting stock temp numbers from my 7700k and 1080mini inside my S4 I got 2 days ago... but I'll post temp updates once I have them, and YES. I do have BOTH coolers, and a special-ordered Scythe Slim-120mm PWM fan to go with the Zalman CNPS2X. :)

Also, consider a DELID. I will be doing a Delid after the first week or two of having my 7700k inside my S4 stock and OC'ed so i can have accurate before/after temp numbers.

Yup, that price is amazing. I would not ignore such a deal. XD

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
With the new hdplex model, maybe we'll get that Vega Nano one day. Hopefully no coil-whine :)
I don't have one of thsoe fancy watt thingies. But I'll be doing some prime95 and furmark testing on my CPU/GPU this week all inside the S4 mini, here's hoping there's no coil whine. I'll report if there is any though.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
or you can just use a block of neoprene

From the NH-L9i, right? ;)

Hey @Josh | NFC, just double checking... I finally figured out how to order the Galax 1070 from their site. Their card should fit in the S4 mini without needing any mods, right? I just double checked the length and it seems alright even with the length of the riser included.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
From what I have seen of the marketing material, it should work great. But it is hard to tell as anyone on these forums will tell you about the accuracy of web page card lengths.

Reactions: zovc